Simultaneous output on S3 or TivoHD

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by Zaphod, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Des Moines,...
    Does anybody know if either the S3 or the TivoHD does simultaneous output on both the HD outputs (HDMI or component) and SD outputs (composite or S-Video)? I.e., if I'm watching an HD channel, can I have it output the HD (720p or 1080i) via HDMI or component) while outputting 480i on the composite or S-Video at the same time? I know the DirecTV HD Tivo's couldn't do that.

2. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Yep, it works like a champ. I have the S-video out plugged into my DVD burner and can watch a show in HD while recording it to DVD in anamorphic widescreen SD.

3. Ripcord2

Ripcord2 New Member

Jun 6, 2004
  4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    If you are watching a copy protected program, like one on HBO then it will block the output. When I try with HDMI and also with my DVD burner a message will come up saying that viewing is not permitted. I've only had that problem with HBO HD and Showtime HD. Not with any other HD channels. For recording purposes I get around it by having the HDMI output connected to an HDMI switch. I just switch it to an empty port so the TiVo doesn't see an HDMI connection and it will record without any problems.

5. Zaphod

Zaphod Member

Feb 17, 2003
    Des Moines,...
    Thanks for the info folks! That's what I was looking for. Looks like, except for the aspect ratio issue, it will do what I want. I would be using component for my HD output at this point (my HDTV is 5 years old and only has component input), though I will have the situation of wanting to watch the same thing in both rooms at the same time so the aspect ratio thing could get annoying. But it's better than nothing.

Thanks again!