Simultaneous digital 5.1 and analog stereo output

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by adessmith, Dec 9, 2020.

1. adessmith

adessmith Active Member

Oct 4, 2007

Advertisements

I have a TiVo Bolt currently connected to an Onkyo receiver via HDMI for 5.1 surround sound in my living room. I'm considering adding zone 2 output to a set of stereo speakers on my back patio and running an HDMI out there as well for a projector. The problem is, my receiver does not support digital sources on the zone 2 output. The first solution I've come up with would be to run analog output from my bolt into the receiver in addition to HDMI. This way I could set the zone 2 source to the analog input while zone 1 can continue to output HDMI. Is it possible to output 5.1 over HDMI and stereo over analog output at the same time?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think you are asking if the HDMI, optical and analog(A/V) outputs are always active. If so, the answer is yes. The optical is up to DD5.1 and the A/V is PCM. I use a TiVo purchased cable and use it to feed rf headphones. Normal 3.5mm to RCA cables usually don't work.

I don't have a Bolt. Check the back of the unit for a 3.5mm female A/V connector.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
  3. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    I'd think your Bolt likely has an Optical that you could use.

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Bolts have both optical and analog Audio output, along with the audio embedded in the HDMI cable (at least the original ones all had the analog audio jack). They SHOULD all be simultaneously active, but I have never tried it myself (other than optical concurrent with HDMI - that absolutely does work).

Since the Bolt analog audio jack is only L/R and does not include video, any normal stereo audio cable with the correct size jack should work. But like I said above, I have not personally tested that jack on my Bolts.