simultaneous daily call via telnet by 2 tivo's

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by bri_tal, Aug 16, 2011.

1. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    I have 1 tivo upstairs and I make daily calls via telnet (serial cable) and the other downstairs, too remote from my pc and for this, daily calls are made through the telephone line.

I am considering installing shielded 2 twisted pair cable between PC and downstairs tivo, via the loft/tv aerial trunking which is already in the lounge/bedroom cavity wall.

Is it practical to splice this cable, such that both tivos are connected to my PC serial adapter. and make daily calls simultaneously from both machines ?

Suggestions gratefully received.

2. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    If you mean can two TiVo's use a single serial adapter then no. You would however be able to fit a second serial adapter to the PC and make simultaneous calls that way.

3. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Thanks. I was rather expecting that would be the case. Unfortunately my PC has only one usable serial port - the second one is defunct.

4. Richard Loxley

Richard Loxley New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Bristol, UK
    If you have USB then you can get a USB->serial adapter for under £5.

5. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    Or a PCI RS232 card if you prefer that.

6. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Or just do one TiVo at a time? Or is there a reason you feel you have to do them both at once?

7. deshepherd

deshepherd New Member

Nov 30, 2000
    Bristol, UK
    Or buy an RS232 switch

8. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    No reason, except to save having to remove the 3.5mm jack.

So, assuming I were to create one long cable, having 9 pin d sub female connector at one end and 3,5mm stereo jack at the other, plus a tail from the 9 pin having a second 3.5mm stereo jack, I should be able to achieve daily updates on both machines, after removing one or other jacks ??

Before all this, I had already tried USB->serial adapter on my laptop (A much preferred option) but the adapter I bought just didn't work. Still debating whether or not to try a different (non-chinese) adapter.

9. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    I don't see why that wouldn't work - but my point was, that it may work without havcing to pull the plug on one or other of the TiVos - as long as you only initiate the update from one at a time - TBH I don't do serial connections, so I'm not 100% sure of how it works.

10. drgeoff

drgeoff Member

Nov 10, 2005
    The physical serial connection is just RS232 which is a one to one arrangement. You cannot add a third end in parallel and expect it to work even if only one TiVo is doing its update at a time. On top of that there is an IP address for each end of the serial connection

And, switching to pedant mode :), making daily calls via the TiVo's serial jack to a PC's serial port is not "daily calls via telnet".

11. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Can you explain, please ?

12. DX30

DX30 New Member

May 22, 2005
    You are using the serial link to establish a network connection, usually referred to as serial ppp (Point to Point Protocol).

This network connection can be used for many things, one of them being the TiVo daily calls. Another thing is can be used for is a telnet session, which is a way of getting a command prompt over a network connection. A third example would be using an ftp client to transfer files over the network connection.

So telnet is just one possible use for a serial ppp connection, it isn't the connection itself.

13. bri_tal

bri_tal New Member

Sep 21, 2005
    Thanks. Ok, my terminology was not quite right, though indirectly, I was using telnet as a means of monitoring the daily update.

14. SolidTechie

SolidTechie New Member

Dec 11, 2002
    Rugeley, Staffs
    Thanks - wasn't my intention to pass mnyself off as an expert - wasn't trying to confuse - but nobody else seemed to be helping at the time! Thought it might have worked akin to broadcast mode, with only one box "listening"

Which was why I thought it _might_ have worked - since normally, I would have expected the packets to be addressed to the relevant ip address - not trying to start an argument, just letting you know how my disturbed mind works!