Simple Question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by beartrap, Sep 30, 2006.

1. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005

Advertisements

Can the HR10-250 receive and record HDTV OTA signals? I just talked to a D* tech rep. who told me that it was possible, but I am extremely skeptical.

I'm trying to decide if I should jump into HDTV, and I need to choose between cable (Comcast; will wait for their TiVo-based DVR) and sticking with D*. I will only stick with D* if I can record all available HD content on a TiVo-based DVR.

2. samberger

samberger New Member

Dec 28, 2005
    oakland, ca
    yes it can. just have to have an ota antenna (indoor or outdoor, depending on how far away your broadcast towers are) plugged into it.

3. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    The HR10-250 very nicely integrates the channels that come via your OTA antenna, shows them it the guide just like the Directv channels. You can record, pause, rewind, everything you can do with any Directv channel.

It works so well, I have no use today for the new HR20. Don't care to get my locals via satellite MPEG4'd. They come in perfectly in HD OTA.

4. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    Why would you be skeptical?

5. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...

Advertisements

I'd be sceptical of anything a D* rep told me.

6. videojanitor

videojanitor Member

Dec 21, 2001
    I was thinking about this just today. If someone in my area were to trade in their HR10 for the HR20, they would only be able to get four local HD channels -- ABC, NBC, CBS and The CW via MPEG-4. No FOX, as that station is carried yet due to contractual issues. And no PBS or any other channels either. Since the HR20 OTA tuners are not yet enabled, those channels would simply cease to exist. :eek:

7. beartrap

beartrap Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I used the title "tech. rep." only because that's who I was told I was being connected to. The woman who gave me the information seemed less than convinced that she had it right. The previous D* CSR that I had spoken with consistently referred to the R15 and HR20 units as "TiVos." My attempt at explaining that just because it's a DVR doesn't necessarely mean it's a TiVo apparently fell on deaf ears.

My thanks to those who answered my question. Anyone have a working HR10-250 that they would like to sell/trade? I would consider parting with a SA series 1 with lifetime (and upgraded HD).