Simple Learning Remote?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Marconi, Jan 3, 2012.

1. Jan 3, 2012 #1 of 32
    Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    MY TV has only two HDMI inputs and these have been my two HD TiVos. Now I've upgraded from a DVD player to Blu Ray and it has HDMI out (as well as composite and S-vid but no component) while my DVD player was connected via component video. So I'm lacking one HDMI port.

I bought one of these 5-port HDMI switches from ebay and found that the cheesy remote has such a weak IR signal that it only works from 3-4 feet away. Any further and the switch does not see the IR signal. Sorta defeats the purpose of a remote.

Anyway, I'm looking for a cheap, learning remote that can simply emulate the HDMI switch's remote. It needs to be able to learn two of the HDMI switch's five commands to select one or the other of the THDs as the input.

Then I'll have one of the TV's HDMI inputs as the TiVo input, via the switch, and the other will be the Blu Ray player.

Any suggestions on a remote to do this?

2. Jan 3, 2012 #2 of 32
    cannonz

cannonz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2011
    Have you tried it with the IR extender, many times the IR input port and eye is more sensitive than built in eye. Odd it's not learning like most switches to use any remote though.

3. Jan 3, 2012 #3 of 32
    taronga

taronga Member

Nov 15, 2006
    KY
  4. Jan 3, 2012 #4 of 32
    cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
  5. Jan 4, 2012 #5 of 32
    Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    I'll check this out al WalMart today.

Among the relatively cheap learning remotes, which one is best suited to emulate the peanut remote? That is, if I wanted a learning remote to replace the peanut AND to be able to learn the HDMI switch commands, which would folks recommend?

6. Jan 4, 2012 #6 of 32
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Replacing your TiVo's peanut remote with just about any universal remote is a down grade.

Frankly I would get rid of the HDMI switch and use Component video with the TiVo you use the least. It is unlikely you will be able to tell the difference in picture quality or sound on the TV.

7. Jan 4, 2012 #7 of 32
    Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    Which universal is the least down-gradey?

Actually, I tried component video on one THD and it was really bad compared to HDMI.

8. Jan 4, 2012 #8 of 32
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    I couldn't disagree more. The peanut remote is a nice remote if all you want to do is control a Tivo and your TV, but it's severely limited as a universal remote. Once upon a time I had up to four Tivos connected to the same TV and routinely had even more Tivos connected that I was updating for others. I've probably got at least a half dozen Tivo remotes still in the original plastic wrappers.

A standard peanut remote is limited to one or two Tivo codesets, making it utterly useless if you need to control additional Tivos. It's also limited for use with other components other than turning on your TV and controlling the volume. My Harmony One and my older Harmony 880 are a vast improvement over any Tivo remote I've ever used. The same could be said for my now retired Home Theater Master MX-700 and my older Marantz RC-2000 MK II. I used to have up to ten Tivo codesets programmed into my 880 in addition to controlling my preamp/processor and numerous other components in my home theater setup. A quality universal remote is a major upgrade to the peanut remote.

9. Jan 4, 2012 #9 of 32
    classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I have a One For All URC-8820. Out of the box, it is multi address TiVo compatible, and learning. It is not hard to tweak, if you go the JP1 programming route.

A Harmony, although not cheap, will be better.

Another direction, possibly, would be to get an HDMI switch which can learn what remote you have.

10. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I have a harmony 880 which is a great universal remote, but I still think for controlling a TiVo nothing really beats the TiVo remote. I had tried some of those cheap universal remotes years ago and thought they were all a pain. I would look at the various harmony remotes to see if something fits your needs and budget.

That should not be you should hardly be able to tell the difference. I would expect there was something set wrong somewhere.

Good Luck,

11. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Sorry I wasn't clear, I was thinking specifically about controlling a TiVo, I agree a TiVo remote is not very good universal remote, but prefer the TiVo peanut remote over my Harmony 880 for TiVo only control.

12. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Why not use a Tivo Glo-remote and teach the input button the code from your HDMI switch? best of both worlds in my opinion, I love the peanut and have never found an acceptable universal remote to replace it. (that includes trying a Harmony One)

13. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    Aside from the difference in ergonomic design (I actually prefer the Harmony One over the Tivo in this respect), my Harmony One provides the exact same control over my Tivo as the peanut remote. I can customize the buttons and use them any way I want without being locked into a fixed configuration. All I have to do is set up an activity for watching the Tivo and one button turns everything on and selects the proper inputs for Tivo viewing.

I can see how you'd prefer the peanut remote over the 880 for Tivo-only control. The 880 suffers from claustrophobia in that it has far too many buttons crammed close together, making it more difficult to select the right button to press without turning on the lights. The Harmony One is laid out far better with more distinct button sizes, shapes, and locations and has the added bonus of backlighting. It's as easy to use any peanut remote, but with vastly more capability.

14. cannonz

Oct 22, 2011
    That Philips 7 is laid out well, easy to operate in dark.

15. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    Because the switch remote transmits five different codes, one for each input to be selected. It is not a press-until-you-cycle-to-the-one-you-want switch.

I would need to customize two buttons on a glo remote. How many are customizable without losing some other functionality?

16. Marconi

Marconi TiVo Junkie

Sep 8, 2001
    Page, AZ USA
    I can get a better picture by switching the TV's mode (adding more brightness and contrast) but then the resulting image is a bit too contrasty. With a HDMI connection, it's good in standard mode. No adjustments needed.

I'm going to try this again after I receive the shielded cables I just ordered. Right now, I can live with the component connection; it's good enough, just not as good as HDMI.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    On my TV you set the picture for each input independently. My only experience using the component inputs was when I first got my Series 3 HD it was a refurbished unit and the HDMI port was dead (long store actually went through several units to get a good one), used it with the component cables that came with it for about a week until a replacement unit came after I set the component input to the same settings as the HDMI input my TiVo HD was using the 2 pictures where so close you really couldn't tell. Now everything is using HDMI and ran to a stereo receiver with only one cable to my TV.

Good Luck,

18. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Would you be willing to part with one or two for a few bucks plus shipping? Are they the original peanut, or Glo-remotes?

19. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I agree. The TiVo peanut is bar none the best device specific remote I have ever used, and I have never found any universal remote that can compete with it for controlling any single device.

20. mr.unnatural

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    The Tivo remote is a basic remote that's got an uncluttered control surface. It feels good in the hand and has large buttons that are easy to use in the dark. It's great for controlling Tivos, but some of us need far more than that. Using multiple remotes just isn't feasible for many of us and a universal remote is an absolute necessity. The only time I pull out a Tivo remote is to change the IR codeset on a Tivo. The only buttons I use on a regular basis are the transport controls, cursor, Clear, and the Tivo button, with occasional use of the Thumbs Down and Enter buttons to perform a reboot. I'll also use the numeric keypad to change to a specific channel.

Remotes are highly subjective and everyone has their own personal preferences. As standalone remotes go, Tivo has a good one. Most OEM remotes leave a lot to be desired, but Tivo got theirs right. Unfortunately, unless it controls multiple devices and does it well, it stays in the box with the OEM cables. I'll stack my Harmony One against any remote on the market for comfort and flexibility to control anything out there.