Simple features TiVo should have, but doesn't

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dan203, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Sep 29, 2011 #1 of 122
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I was reading another thread and it got me thinking about this, so I thought I'd post it. This is my list of seemingly simple features that TiVo should have, but doesn't...

1) Recording of back to back programs, on the same channel, with padding should not conflict. Why is it that when you have back to back programs on the same channel, and one or both has some padding, it creates a conflict and forces TiVo to use two tuners and/or clip/cancel lower priority programs? It's all digital data. Can't TiVo be smart enough to share the data from one tuner between both recordings?

2) There should be a passive padding option that only applies the padding if it does not cause a conflict. Ideally it would be an automatic option that adds one minute of padding to both ends of every recording as long as it doesn't conflict. But a manual option that allows you to designate the padding applied to a recording as either important or passive would be OK to.

3) There should be a way to group all movies into a single folder. I record a lot of movies from premium channels. So many that they're starting to clutter my Now Playing list and obscure TV shows that I only have 1 episode of. It would be nice if there was an option to group all movies into a single folder. That way I could look in it if I was in the mood for a movie, but not have all the movies clutter up my Now Playing list with single entries.

What about you? If you could request a seemingly simple feature be added to TiVo what would it be? I'm not talking about anything complex, like cooperative scheduling or TiVo to TiVo streaming, but simple usability features that would make your TiVo experience better.

Dan

2. Sep 29, 2011 #2 of 122
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    This is why I never use padding because I don't want it to cancel another program that might not have a rerun in the lineup.

3. Sep 29, 2011 #3 of 122
    daveak

daveak Series 3 Novice

Mar 23, 2009
    It would be nice to be able to create your own folders (such as movies), but if you record the movies via the same wish list then they will appear in the same folder. Once recorded, there really isn't anything you can do. Though I guess (if you are not using the kidzone feature) select either the movies or programs to appear in the kidzone and they will be in their own list.

4. Sep 29, 2011 #4 of 122
    klj

klj Tivo Challenged

Feb 25, 2010
    although i enjoy being able to copy programs from one tivo hd to another, i would like to be able to remotely delete the programs.

5. Sep 29, 2011 #5 of 122
    bikegeek

bikegeek Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Amesbury, MA
    I would love picture in picture and a button on the remote to set the sleep timer on my tv.

6. Sep 29, 2011 #6 of 122
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    I totaly agree with #1 and #2. I never use padding and mostly I get the whole show but an automatic extra minute before and after if nothing else conflicts would be a great idea especially when combined with #1, it shouldn't be too hard to write the last minute of one show and the first minute of the next to two seperate recordings.

7. Sep 29, 2011 #7 of 122
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    You can do a remote delete, just press the clear button when on the remote program you want to delete.

8. Sep 29, 2011 #8 of 122
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo gives you a 5 minute space for any conflict, IE you pad 1 minute to a high priority program and if another program that starts at the pad time will start 1 minute late, so if your on the same ch you will not miss anything, at worst you will miss the first 1 minute of the next program. This works out to 5 minutes.

9. Sep 29, 2011 #9 of 122
    lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    This works on Premiere, but not on my S3. It would be nice if it did.

10. Sep 29, 2011 #10 of 122
    lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    My top simple feature would be a playlist. This could be done if the user could create folders and specify the order of the shows. It could be done by creating a separate file. If a show is selected, an option to add it to the playlist could be displayed.

11. Sep 29, 2011 #11 of 122
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Option to sort channels in the PG by name/call sign. In the era of 400 channels, sorting by number is very... antiquated. Especially when you have HD channels out in the "channel ghetto" of the 500's or even in the 1000's.

(Yes you can remove SD versions, and I did, but I'd still like a snappy way to find AMCHD, or SpikeTV, or whatever.)

12. Sep 29, 2011 #12 of 122
    rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Yes, it only works if it is on the same channel. That isn't a solution. I shouldn't need to know what times programs come on and on what channels. Once I prioritize my season passes, this is all handled for me. Except when using padding. Like Dan said, having the ability to pad when possible is a much better solution.

13. Sep 29, 2011 #13 of 122
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    There was another DVR, Replay, I think, that did this. I suspect it would be a patent violation if the TiVo did.

Well, it does, sort of. It will clip the padding of a lower priority recording. There is really no perfect solution for this, though. The main reason for padding is it is often necessary. Removing the padding often means clipping the program, and there is no good automated way to know which program will positively require the padding.

I suggest moving most of the content off to a server and then use vidmgr.

What constitutes "complex"? Features that seem straightforward and obvious to a human are often devilishly difficult to program. The main things I would like to see are more flexible and straightforward conflict resolution and the ability to jump directly from the Received Channels list to the channel currently selected in that list and then jump directly back to the same entry from which one originally came. Thus, if one has channel 371 highlighted in the Received Channels list, let the user jump directly to channel 371, see what it's about, then jump directly back into the Received Channels list at channel 371.

14. Sep 29, 2011 #14 of 122
    lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    I would pay a fair amount of money to insure the TiVo does not have this horrible feature. My Hitachi DLP has a lot of bothersome and problemaric features, but by far the worst is PinP.

15. Sep 29, 2011 #15 of 122
    mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    You don't have to use Picture in Picture. I love it. I used to say I would never buy a TV that didn't have it, but my old TV died, and the new one I have doesn't have it.. However, the hard drive/DVD recorder that I use as the "switch" for multiple inputs most of the time to my TV does.. so I still use it all the time.. Watch something while doing Tivo SP maintenance in the PIP, or sometimes FFing through something else.

I would pay good money for #1 and #2, even though I am on lifetime subscriptions. As I have said before, #1 would essentially double the number of tuners that I have, since I need to pad practically everything.

16. Sep 30, 2011 #16 of 122
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Yeah, that's a nice one, and considering TiVo has a very easy UNerase, any goofs can be easily corrected.

17. Sep 30, 2011 #17 of 122
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    1. Dish DVR's do this, but ironically I sometimes wish it didn't because what can happen is that you will have the last few seconds cut short, but they appear at the beginning on the subsequent recording on the same channel. The problem is if you aren't going to watch the shows in the same order they were recorded, you will forever miss some key narration or dialog, even if it is only 10 seconds. One has to set the start early at 2 min and end early at 3 (or the equivalent of 5 minutes of pad) for force the Dish DVR's to use both tuner to record both programs on the same channel in their entirety IF a channel is not adhering to precise time. At least with TiVo you will get both programs in their entirety, and TiVo may have thought more important, where Dish takes the opposite view.

2. While it may be a desired for some people, that really sounds like a software programming nightmare where the thing won't behave as the engineers want it to and it messes up other features, etc. overly complex things like that have a history of causing more problems then they fix on DVR's. I know it shouldn't be that way, but that is the real world in action.

3. Dish DVR's have a Custom Groups feature, which is really a create any folder and name it what you want. I do exactly what you desire on the Dish DVR's by crating a folder titled MOVIES and can have it automatically sent to that folder when the recording finishes or move any recording I want to it. I have to say the Dish Custom Groups feature has really allowed me to organize My Recordings list. No limit to the names you can use such as folders for different member of the household or name by genre or whatever. I have a folder titled Sunday Shows for those Sunday political shows. Also, the Dish will allow you to rename any recording, albeit with some limitations, but still a great feature.

As for PIP: I LOVE and just can't live w/o my PIP feature on Dish. It and picture in guide/menus are the only big things I miss when using my TiVo. Both implemented well by Dish and certainly not a "horrible" feature. The sad thing is Dish recently changed the software so that it removed the option NOT to have picture in guide/menus. That P.O'ed a number of people. DUMB move by Dish.

TiVo also got some Dish patents out of the settlement, and while I think they were only the patents that Dish attempted to sue TiVo over, it would be great if TiVo got some of those Dish patents that could make your suggestions a reality. Now, if we could TiVo's robust Search features onto a Dish DVR, that would make both DVR's almost perfect.

18. Sep 30, 2011 #18 of 122
    aridon

aridon Member

Aug 31, 2006
    I'd be happy if the HDUI was 100% and not slow as molasses

Netflix wasn't bugged with large season passes and I could browse stuff not in my queue.

I could be watching a recorded show, go into tivo menu for something and go back to said show without having to take 3 or 4 steps to do so.

Overlay emergency broadcast stuff over whatever i'm watching not just throw me to live tv.

19. Sep 30, 2011 #19 of 122
    innocentfreak

innocentfreak Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2001
    Florida
    Media Center handles this with ease.

All of my shows are set to start 3 minutes early when possible and end 5 minutes late when possible. If the tuner is free 7MC extends the recording, but if the tuner is in use it just starts at the start time of the show.

20. Sep 30, 2011 #20 of 122
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What is the need for all the padding? It's extremely rare that I need to add padding to my shows. And the few shows that need it do it on purpose on a regular basis. The vast majority of my Season Passes record by the time listed in the guide and I get 100% of the show. This has been the case with my Season Passes for ten years.
    But of course in those situations where it is on the same channel, not tying up a tuner would be a great solution for padding.

I really hope the Elite comes out soon. It will be nice to have four tuners in one box. I haven't used several HD tuners in one device since the mid 2000's when I stopped using my HTPC.