Simple DirecTV R10 question

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by curtisj1, Aug 15, 2007.

1. curtisj1

curtisj1 New Member

Jun 10, 2006

Advertisements

I've searched this forum & haven't found the answer. How can you burn shows from the R10 units onto DVDs? Manual only talks about recording to VCR. Can I do this, how do I do this, and is there a particular external DVD burner that I need to purchase to do this. I would prefer to burn directly from receiver & not have to use my desktop/laptop. Please advise...

2. supasta

supasta Active Member

May 6, 2006
    Colorado
    You can connect ANY stand-alone DVD burner and use the "Record to VCR" function to transfer to DVD.

The R10 cannot transfer shows to a PC without extensive modification.

3. dshinnick

dshinnick Member

Jun 6, 2003
    The "record to vcr" function doesn't really do much. Just Play the show on your R10 and press Record on your burner. I've done literally hundreds of dvd's this way.

4. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    dshinnick has pointed out the best way to do it :D

5. curtisj1

curtisj1 New Member

Jun 10, 2006

Advertisements

What's the best way to connect to the receiver - audio/video outputs or USB? Don't need to worry about which external DVD burner to purchase - any can connect & record off of it?

6. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    The USB ports on the R10 are not active, and you can't activate them without a lot of work (replacement PROM chip soldering). So the answer is use the RCA audio ports.

7. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Most DVD recorders have audio video and S-Video inputs. You can use either, but S-Video, of course, gives a better picture.

The benefit of using the "record to vcr" setting is that it makes it harder to mess up the transfer by inadvertantly pushing a button. You have to push the button twice to stop the recording.

Other than that, just playing the recording works fine.

8. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    "Save to VCR" also gives a few second description at the beginning of the recording.
    I've also done the just play the show, then just before the show actually starts (after the first commercial) I press pause at a black screen. Then display the normal description screen, press record on DVD recorder for a few seconds to record the description screen and then press play on the TiVo. Then keep your fingers off the remote until the show has completed. :)

9. curtisj1

curtisj1 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Doesn't seem like most DVD recorders have a/v & S-Video inputs to me. From what I can tell, most only have the USB input.

10. curtisj1

curtisj1 New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how are you hooking your recorder up to the receiver? Do you have to have a DVD recorder with A/V inputs since the USB port is not active on the R10 receivers?

11. ForrestB

ForrestB New Member

Apr 8, 2004
    re. audio ports - see my post above.

All standalone DVD recorders have composite video and/or S-video inputs. Here's a typical example Liteon DVD recorder