Silver Serpent vs Monster S-Video cables

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Kerry, Jan 18, 2006.

1. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Anyone have any personal experience comparing BetterCable.com's Silver Serpent S-Video cable (16' for $74.95) with Monster's Ultra THX 1000 S-Video (16' for $99.99) at Radio Shack?

I'm connecting my AT&T Series 2 TIVO to my HDTV Video 1.
    I have a component connection from my Scientific Atlanta to the HDTV in. Very sharp pic.

The hype for the Silver Serpent cable sure reads as though it's better than Monster, as does Monster's hype as compared with Radio Shack's "Gold Series S-Video" (13' for $24.99).

The reason I ask is that my Monster S-Video cable no longer works, even with giggling, and with other components so I'm having to buy a new cable.

Another option is to upgrade to a DVI cable connecting my Scientific Atlanta's DVI out to my HDTV's DIV in. I don't know if the picture will be better than my RGB connections from TIVO out to to HDTV in. I get confused reading the literature.

Suggestions please.

Thanks,
    Kerry

2. Stanley Rohner

Stanley Rohner New Member

Jan 18, 2004
    oklahoma
    You'd probably be just fine buying a decent looking cable at TARGET or WALMART.

Those overpriced Monster cables are just a bunch of hype.

3. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    You're supposed to. Then your eyes are supposed to glaze over and you chant: "must spend $70 for technobable enabled bit of wire." :D

4. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    I kind of thought that but was hoping that there would be some observable difference on the screen.

I wonder if any objective person has done a comparison analysis with meters, osciliscope etc.. I suppose if they had the winner would proudly display the results on their web site.

I read on Monster's web site that their cables have a "Lifetime Warranty." I've emailed them; it'll be very nice if I can get a free replacement.

Kerry

5. dgh

dgh New Member

Jul 24, 2000
    I've never seen a double-blind test that was able to show any statistical difference in any two cables of the same basic type. (eg: an s-video cable of any price vs. another s-video cable.)

I HAVE seen MEASUREMENTS that show that some high end cables have very slightly better numbers but we're talking things like 0.001 ohms/meter kind of differences. This of course makes the high-end cable fans happy until someone points out that that means you could make the cheap cable outperform the expensive one but making it 2 millimeters shorter ;)

6. RonDawg

RonDawg Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2006
    Neither...
    Though supposedly "laughter is the best medicine", I'm not sure if it works with electronics. You might want to try jiggling the cable :)

Seriously though, the others are right. There is no doubt Monster makes high quality cables, but after owning a few I don't think they're worth the money. Now I prefer medium-priced cables such as the Philips-branded ones I bought from Fry's; they are good quality and reasonably priced (not much more than the "cheapo" ones you see at Radio Shack).

As far as the use of HDMI/DVI, with my SA8300HD I do notice a better picture over HDMI on my Sony 36 inch CRT HDTV than with Component. However YMMV.

7. Kerry

Kerry New Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Thanks RonDawg,

I think I'll try the DVI. I won't be happy until I've made the comparison myself. Problem is we only have Radio Shack and their's is a bit pricy. Most online stores charge an arm and leg for shipping to Hawaii.

In the meantime I just keep giggling while I jiggle.

Thanks all,

Kerry