Silicon Valley S01E08 "Optimal Tip-to-Top Efficiency" 6/1/2014 *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by DevdogAZ, Jun 2, 2014.

1. Jun 2, 2014 #1 of 41
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Oh my gosh, I was dying laughing during that conversation about how Erlich could, well, if you've watched the episode, you know what I'm talking about, and if you haven't, I don't want to spoil it.

Anyway, great way to end the season. Looking forward to how they proceed next year. Seeing Richard trying to manage an actual company with all of the day-to-day issues could create lots of comedy.

And the bit with Zach Woods' character (can't remember his name) conducting research ... "Which one? Which one? Which one?" was hilarious.

Great show.

2. Jun 2, 2014 #2 of 41
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas

I think somehow they will find a way next season to get Monica more involved in the company day to day. It will be fun watching Richard fumble with all that is coming his way.

3. Jun 2, 2014 #3 of 41
    MikeAndrews

MikeAndrews Registered abuser

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    So much for having one more scene with Christopher Evan Welch.

I still say that he was supposed to be on the island but they were short one key actor.
    I hope they don't go with a whole season of "Peter Gregory says ..." and just replace the actor, but Mike Judge is saying he's irreplaceable.

The dumbest techie thing is the repeated, "HE ERASED EVERYTHING!" These guys might want to talk to another startup about how to do off site backups.

4. Jun 2, 2014 #4 of 41
    zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    I could see Monica going independent and being a front to multiple venture capitalists now that they have got recognition and leaving Peter Gregory behind.

5. Jun 2, 2014 #5 of 41
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas

Advertisements

I thought they would kill him off in a funny Mike Judge way.

6. Jun 2, 2014 #6 of 41
    DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona

7. Jun 2, 2014 #7 of 41
    mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas

8. Jun 2, 2014 #8 of 41
    jautor

jautor Also wants a pony

Jul 1, 2001
    Houston, TX
    Arby's also uses sesame seeds on many of its breadings. :)

9. Jun 3, 2014 #9 of 41
    markp99

markp99 TakoKichi TCF Club

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    I loved how his new middle-out :)eek:) routine also solved his 3D video problem.

I've inadvertently solved old problems many times with a fresh approach. Nice little bonuses!

10. knitjen

knitjen Member

Oct 28, 2002
    Springfield,...
    The diagrams were killing me. I also enjoyed "Which one? Which one? Which one?"

Overall that episode made me laugh more than any of the previous ones...and I thought the previous ones were pretty funny :up:

11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Great way to end this season. Much better show than I expected it to be. My older son who doesn't watch this show walked in just when they started drawing the ummm...stuff on the white board and started laughing with a "WTF are you watching?" comment! Which made us laugh even more. And the look on Richard's face when they were trying to figure it all out and he was having his breakthrough was priceless.

I really like that they have well defined and developed characters here. I used to really hate the Erlich character and now he's one of my favorites. The geeky business nerd cracks me up too.

I think that Monica is going to wind up "managing" Peter Gregory's company after they kill him off. If I were to predict, Richard is going to get MANY offers for financing, but is going to opt for what Monica has to offer because he's in love with her.

Love the scene where Gilfoyle and Dinesh go to the other startup hinting they want a job with them, and the founder of the startup begs THEM for a job. That cracked me up.

12. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    Isn't a little weird that Google entered a start-up contest?

13. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    OMG, yes! I've had almost that exact discussion, looking to jump ship, realizing THEY are also looking to jump! :eek:

14. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Me too. That's why I thought that was so funny!

15. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    My friends were having a discussion about how to manipulate di---er-I mean-data....:D:D:D

I seriously LOled for real at that! Funniest line of the series for me...

Also hilarious when Ehrlich introduced Richard to the crowd and then said, "I warmed them up for you..." yeah, whatever, dude! I love how deluded he is! :p;)

And poor Richard....you just knew he was going outside at the end to throw up...he's a mess! :eek:

Nice tribute at the end to Christopher Evan Welch. I am truly sorry we won't see his weirdness any longer... :( Can't wait to see what they do ...

16. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    That was a great episode!

I too hope they just "kill" the Peter Gregory character rather than do some "Peter says ...." one.

17. lambertman

lambertman With an "L"

Dec 20, 2002
    Indianapolis...
    I went into this ep thinking I'd drop the show...but this one was funny enough that I'll stay onboard.

18. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    I've done demos like that where I'm fairly sure what I'm showing doesn't fully work and then it ends up going amazingly well.

19. MikeAndrews

Jan 17, 2002
    Northern...
    Yeah. Hooli didn't belong. They could claim that Hooli wasn't in the contest and was Gavin was just given a guest keynote spot.

20. markp99

Mar 21, 2002
    Nashua, NH
    Or, doing a demo in front of your CEO and then internet goes down. :eek: GULP. Commence with the hand-waving...

I've brought static screenshots of my demo along just in case...luckily never used them.