Signal Strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by prowler, Jun 19, 2009.

1. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN

Advertisements

My satellite signal strength is currently in the high 90s. I couldn't ask for more than that, except that I need to relocate my dish from its present location to the other end of my house. I have a new dish assembly and would like to mount it in a new location - and test it for maximum reception via a temporary feed.

Question: My DVR Plus has a double feed, but just for testing purposes, will I be able to run a single cable from the dish to my receiver for purposes of aligning the dish for maximum strength? If so, I'll run the temporary cable to align the dish, tighten things down, and then set another day for climbing the heights, removing the old dish and cable and then rerouting to the new dish.

Thanks.
    Roger

2. unclemoosh

unclemoosh I Wish I knew Then..

Sep 11, 2004
    Gulf South
    Yes, you can use just one input for aligning and testing. I'd use the Sat 1 input. If you watch live TV you'll get the searching for signal on Sat 2 message.

3. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN
    Uncle ... -

Thanks for your reply. That sounds like a plan.

Second question here: Does the DVR need to powered down when disconnecting/connecting the 75ohm cables?

4. unclemoosh

unclemoosh I Wish I knew Then..

Sep 11, 2004
    Gulf South
    I would recommend powering it down. There is voltage on the connectors to control the multiswitch. No sense in taking a chance blowing something out in your tuner section. :eek:

5. prowler

prowler New Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Solsberry, IN

Advertisements

Thanks for the feedback, Unclemoosh. I'll take your advice.

Roger