Signal Strength

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by durbin, Oct 10, 2007.

1. durbin

durbin New Member

Feb 13, 2007
    My THD has been outstanding since the CC install. I checked the signal strength on the digital channels last night, 68? Is this a problem? I have had no picture/audio trouble at all.

2. Chimpware

Chimpware New Member

Jan 30, 2002
    If you have had no problems why would a readout have any meaning?

Most people with this low of a signal level have reported pixelation/macroblocking and audio dropouts. Tivo claims over 90 (CSR) is recommended.

If you are not experiencing issues why look for them?????

3. Bierboy

Bierboy Seasoned gas passer

Jun 12, 2004
    Fishers, IN
    From my OTA HD experience, anything over 90 is recommended. I get occasional pixelation/macroblocking on one channel that dips to the mid-80s occasionally, but that's usually due to some trees between the stick and my antenna. Thank goodness fall is here and the leaves are falling. That always improves my reception.

4. hastypete

hastypete New Member

Oct 2, 2007
    Signal strenght doesn't tell the whole story.
    The quality of the signal is also important, as is the quality of the receiver.
    I had a Sony DHG-HDD250 DVR and it's tuner was a PoS. With about 70% of signal I would barely receive a few channels. My Toshiba TV had no problem and even reported higher signal. The THD reports about 75%.
    So three tuners all reported different signal levels.

I get an occasional pixel drop out for a second now and then, but the THD performs on par with the Toshiba TV.

Signal quality can be affected by reflections from nearby buildings etc.
    A poor quality signal can have a high strength and still be unusable.
    A good quality 68% is fine as long as you get a good picture.