Signal Strength = Signal Quality?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by gusbear, Dec 25, 2006.

1. gusbear

gusbear New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Pflugerville...

Advertisements

I've been having trouble of late getting "Bad" recordings from DTV. They look like signal fade. BUT, I've got 90%+ on A&B, and 80%+ on C.

At first I thought it was just the high-def channels and a bad LNB, but I've seen this on other channels as well. I also considered rain fade, birds nest, squirrel, etc. but I saw the problem today on a live channel and immediately checked the signal strengths...80% to 98%. Hmmmm.

I'm starting to wonder if there is something else that would distort the signal from the dish, without reducing the strength? I've had this system in place for over 2 years now but the problems have started recently. Could the problem be in the TiVo itself? Eeeek!

Gus

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Can you describe the problem symptoms in more detail? Video? Audio?

3. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004
    People typically blame the symptoms you are experiencing on a bad hd. I however had a similar problem once my tivo was upgraded to 6.3a. Constant stuttering on recorded and live content despite the level of signal. It was driving me absolutely crazy. I even replaced the drive twice thinking that the drive was going bad. It finally ended up getting it fixed when i reimaged my tivo with 3.1.5f. Now I know that the TIVO uses hardware mpeg decoding, but there is something definitely wrong with 6.3a and either signal quality or decoding.

4. gusbear

gusbear New Member

Oct 24, 2004
    Pflugerville...
    The bad recordings look typical of weak signal: heavy pixelation, sometimes freezing, with audio dropouts. I will even get the dreaded "searching for signal" message flashing on and off.

Seperately, I've had a weird decoding effect (mostly from TNTH) where the audio is fine, and the MPEG keyframes look good, but the inbetween frames are messed up. It looks like the motion decoding is being applied to the same keyframe for a long time (10-20 seconds) and the picture progressively degrades until FINALLY a new keyframe is displayed. I assumed that this is a software problem (encoder, decoder, or both) and NOT a signal issue, since the audio was fine.

Maybe I need to adjust the dish again. I did it recently when I discovered that SAT C was hovering in the 40% strength range. I assumed it was the LNB, since it's not possible to have only 1 of 3 satellites out of alignment...or so I thought. I tilted up a few degrees and got the SAT C up to 80%+ without affecting the A or B signals at all. (!?!!)

Still, I would think that 80% would be super-plenty. At 40% I was still getting programming but with regular artifacts/dropouts. It now just seems to come and go, and I believe it only impacts the HD channels (although that is 99% of what I watch).

Gus