Signal strength and DNR (signal to noise ratio) . . .

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Expidia, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Nov 1, 2020 #1 of 17
    Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015

Advertisements

Now that my system has been corrected and is working again from the mini's not seeing the Romio I can tweak it a little . . . I just ordered 5 new 2500 Mhz splitters to replace the 1,000 MHz spitters after Spectrum swapped out my Holland 2,100's when they came through my house in 2019 for a dropping internet signal issue and installed their 1,000 Mhz splitters. The system was working so I left their splitters in place. In checking my signal strength it was 100% and since the Tivo diagnostic screen does not read above 100% it could again be pulling in a signal much higher and hotter than 100%. I'm the last house on my street and Spectrum says that can cause a hot signal. I used to use an array of two or 3 splitters to pad down a hot signal at this first two way splitter where the signal comes in just before my Romio from the street. But now I just went back to using Attentuators. I have 3 of them. 3 DB, 6 DB and 10 DB. Using them alone or in combination allows me to lower a hot signal. Just by adding the 6 DB I was able to bring my signal down to 96-98% . This pic shows the attentuator being added to the splitter (I'm upgrading this splitter to a 2500 Mhz) One side goes to the Romeo and the other run is feeding 3 TV's.

I have not been perusing this forum for awhile as my system has been running good past 2 years. But please let me know if using attenuators is passe'. My SNR is 39-40 db which is slightly high over the Tivo spec of 29-35 SNR. varying with each of the 6 tuners.
    I'll address this SNR number if it gives me any issues down the road.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  2. Nov 1, 2020 #2 of 17
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    LOL attenuators are not passe’ although they aren’t necessarily de rigor or du jour. :D

They are like crutches and bandages: Not a la mode, but appropriate when necessary. I prefer attenuators over splitters — much smaller and probably more uniform over the bandwidth.

In general, don’t fix it if it ain’t broke. But your 39 dB is a little on the high side, so maybe an additional 3db would be in order. I and many.others have found that 37 dB is perfectly acceptable, despite TiVo’s stated limit. I have read that there is an effect where hot signals, although not hot enough to impact video performance, can damage tuners over a long period of operation.

kaszeta and Expidia like this.
  3. Nov 1, 2020 #3 of 17
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    As long as your Signal Strength is below 100% I would not do anything to attenuate the signal. The meter only goes to 100% and problems can happen when it goes over 100%.

I might have someone watch your RS Corrected and Uncorrected while you wiggle the connections. A few errors are ok, but zero is better. Those number move in real time, so you can watch them move. After thirty days I have zero errors with a Signal of 90% on all channels. But if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Expidia likes this.
  4. Nov 1, 2020 #4 of 17
    DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    I also use attenuators to bring the signal down below 100%. I think you're doing it just right.

I put all six tuners on different channels...the six we most often watch. Then check the diagnostics screen for each channel's value. That'll give you a guide to get just the right attenuation.

I've found it's good to check the signal levels every 3 to 4 months. At times I've had to add or subtract an attenuator to keep the signal strength right where I want it.

Expidia likes this.
  5. Nov 1, 2020 #5 of 17
    Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015

Advertisements

Here is what I'm getting swapping around the attentuators . . .

None - signal 99% (at least I know is not way over 100%) SNR 39

3 DB = 87% signal and SNR 34 DB

3+6 = 74% signal and SNR 29 DB

6 DB = 98% signal and 39 SNR

I'm thinking just using the 3 DB with an 87% signal and SNR 34 DNR
    Although when my 2500 Mhz splitters get here (replacing the 1,000 that are on there now) these numbers could change again.
    ** Which is more important to be inline with Tivo's recommended specs signal % or SNR DB? Is it better to be closer on the SNR or the Signal strength?
    I can't seem to tweak both of those to be in spec at the same time with the same DB attenuators.

6. Nov 1, 2020 #6 of 17
    Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Good advice. Once I get the new 2500 splitters installed I'll wiggle each connection while my wife watches the numbers to try and get it down to zero. I did not realize they change in real time.

7. Nov 1, 2020 #7 of 17
    JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    They are reset to zero when the box does a restart or you place it into Standby. On a basic Roamio, RS Corrected never goes over zero. That's a really old bug.

Expidia likes this.
  8. Nov 1, 2020 #8 of 17
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Are you sure about those numbers? Doesn’t make sense that you get higher SNR and signal with 6 dB vs. 3 dB.

RS errors also get reset to zero when you first tune to a particular channel.

Expidia likes this.
  9. Nov 1, 2020 #9 of 17
    Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Yep, just ran them again. I'm just tracking tracking the first page but the SNR with the 6DB is 39 and the SNR with the 3 DB is 34. Thats why I was trying various combinations.

10. DeltaOne

DeltaOne Mount Airy, MD

Sep 29, 2013
    74% and 87% are too low.

I don't see how a 6 dB gives you a stronger signal than a 3 dB?

TiVo will tell you the sweet spot is 35 dB. Of course, the signal strength and dB rise and fall together.

11. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    There's such a +/- tolerance and taking a 'mislabeling/packaging' problem into consideration, most anything is possible.

12. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    Dumb question, but what is DNR?

13. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    If you mean SNR it means “signal to noise ratio”.

14. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Ok good. I’ll swap the attenuator to the 6 dB which will put me at 98% and 39 SNR ratio. Nope that was no good. I have the 3 dB back in now. 96% signal and 38 dB on channel 48. This is as good as in going get with mixing around the 3,6 and 10 dB attenuators I have in stock.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  15. mdavej

mdavej Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2015
    I have no idea. You put it in your thread title and a couple of other posts. Is it a typo or a new acronym I’ve never heard of?

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I think it means if this thread needs life saving actions none should be taken. I have one. ;)

krkaufman likes this.
  17. Expidia

Expidia Albany, NY

Jul 10, 2015
    Sorry my bad! I can't correct the title but I'll check some of the other threads and change them.