Signal Lost after Rain

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by shadowplay, Jul 27, 2007.

1. shadowplay

shadowplay Guest

Mar 12, 2003
    Illinois
    We had a good rain yesterday and when I went to bed last I noticed the signal started to go bad. I didn't hear rain but since was 1/2 asleep I just turned off the tv and figured it would be fine in the morning.

I woke up this morning and I don't have a signal at all (either on the upstairs or downstairs tv's). I called D* and they wanted to send someone out for around $78. I'm moving out of the house to an apartment in late August and didn't feel it was worth the money (I thought about staying with them but it may not be possible).

Called back to cancel service and they offered to wave the fee but can't have someone come out for a week (I'm in the far NW Chicago 'burbs).

I would (of course) prefer to fix it sooner and looking here in the forums it could be the LNB or the cheap multiswitch I have (installer used at least 4-5 years ago, can't find brand name but model # is DSV95).

Is there an easy way to test either to see what the issue is?

(thanks in advance for any help...going to be a long week w/o tv)

2. dasexton

dasexton New Member

Oct 6, 2005
    I don't know your experience level with D* and Tivo, so excuse me if I mention things you already know. Normally, after rain-caused signal loss, the system will automatically recapture the signal. Occasionally, I have had to reboot the Tivo by unplugging the unit, waiting a few seconds (D* says a minute, I believe), then plugging it back in. It should search for the signal, find the satellites, and reload everything. If yours won't do this even after rebooting, you are probably correct, you may have a bad cable or multiswitch that was "zapped" by the rain. If that is the case, it's possible your system will work again once things dry out. I have had D* for years in Connetticut, California, and now Texas where we get torrential thunderstorms and have never had wet cables or switches cause ongoing problems following a storm. Good luck with your problem!

3. Matt9876

Matt9876 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Maryville...
    Check for exposed connections outside of your house> water has entered a ground block connection or spliced line

you must find and fix this burned connection

also you must water proof it for a long term repair

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Signal loss due to heavy rain is caused by the large thunderclouds between the dish and the satellite, not the rain itself. Your problem is most likely due to moisture in the cable connections or the LNB itself. Do a complete signal strength test on all transponders to check for anomalies.

5. shadowplay

shadowplay Guest

Mar 12, 2003
    Illinois
    Thanks for the replies....it's not detecting satalite 1 or 2 so I'm not getting any signal strength.

I'll try and check the lines outside...

6. shadowplay

shadowplay Guest

Mar 12, 2003
    Illinois
    I've looked outside and can't find anything that looks bad.

I understand these things happen but is a week a normal turnaround to get someone to come out? That seems even longer than the cable company...

7. Billy Bob Boy

Billy Bob Boy What Me Worry???????

Jul 25, 2004
    Here
    IM Singin in the Rain, Just singin in the rain what a glorious Feell.............

Damm Rain Fade :D :D :D

8. iaflyer

iaflyer New Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Ann Arbor, MI
    Well, you're not dealing with the cable company - they wised up and have good service these days. DirecTV has decided to go the opposite direction apparently.

9. sloan

sloan New Member

Feb 13, 2003
    Raleigh, NC
    If you have some cable, you can run a fresh line from the dish to your receiver.
    This will tell you whether or not you have a bad cable, or the dish is mis-pointed.

I usually take my directv receiver, and a 13" tv to the dish itself, and I can debug rather quickly.

Naturally, if its the cable, you'll have to maybe replace it. Or try new ends.
    I usually get my ends from Lowe's. The crimp style.
    Do not get the twist on ends, they're junk.

If you don't have signal at the dish, then the dish is either being blocked or is misaligned.

If you have round dish (1 sat), you can usually adjust this yourself without any special tools. Just MARK the original location of the dish using a marker or something. Its very easy to lose sight of the original location.

If you have a 3LNB dish and its out of alignment, you might have some trouble.
    I have signal meter, and I still struggle a bit getting a 3lnb dish pointed.

If you're moving and the dish is out of alignment, and you have a 3lnb dish, you might want to replace it with a round (1sat) dish. Only because its very simply to point them. I say "might" here. You can take the 3lnb with you, and leave the round dish for the next person. and use the directv movers service thing.

You might have trees in the way. And you'll need to relocate the dish or prune the trees.
    When you're trying to figure out where the blockage may be, try to use the azimuth number.
    Like for me, its 43. I actually try to take a protactor and find 43 degrees from a flat surface, because looking down the arm of the dish doesn't work.
    Most times, the signal comes in "higher" then you think it might by looking down the arm. Its hard to explain, but try to use the azimuth number as a more true indicator of the angle instead of looking down the arm.

Maybe those hints will help.