Signal loss to Roamio after new TV turned off

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Liz7188, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007

Advertisements

I have to unplug/replug my TiVo Roamio to get an HDMI signal back to my brand new (installed Tuesday, the 15th Dec) Sony Bravia after it has been turned off/on.

Using Google I found mention of this problem with Sonys from 2012, but a gen'l search here in Forums produced no results. The response back then was too technical for this non-Techie to figure out and didn't resolve the original problem anyway.

My Best Buy geek said to just do the unplug but I didn't realize that was going to be a daily problem. Do not care to sit thru repeated reboots.

Am not sure how many free Geek Squad repair trips they will allow under TV warranty, esp if they can claim problem is with TIVO, Time Warner cable box/tuner card or my connectors.

I did notice today that the signal seems to take some unknown time to get lost between the two devices because when I turned off and then right on, it was OK. I didn't continue this time test though.

I can call Time Warner, or Sony but hoping someone among the TiVo family may know the fix and explain step by step so this old lady can do it herself.

Thanks!

2. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    See this thread, especially post 39.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=534989&page=2

3. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    Entered the codes as directed in the comment you indicated. TV came on fine but will have to try again after the TV has been off for a while.

Thank you very much for the link to that (hopefully) fix. Appreciate it. :)

ETA next day: Didn't work. And my TiVo recording light won't go out.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2015
  4. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    As I said above, the codes provided in a previous thread didn't fix it. Called Sony and the tech says it is a TiVo problem. I think it is a Sony problem. This has never happened before like this. Anybody have further ideas?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

I've been using a Sony TV with my Roamio and Mini for a while. I always turn off all the stuff under HDMI Control, Bravia Sync, ARC, and whatever else I find. The names will change. I'm using a W600B right now, but I also have it through an AVR. I started with a Premiere and XBR9 and EX700, but have used Sony televisions before TiVos.

I think the codes in the previous link are not designed to fix anything, just capture data for later examination. I always use good cables from Monoprice. What model is your TV?

6. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I think it is a TiVo problem since this problem arose after a TiVo software update. Beyond the codes, did you follow the other instructions? Did you email TiViMargret? I don't know which Roamio you have, but if it has component cables, use them until this issue is resolved.

Fortunately for me, I only had this problem once and it didn't happen again but it looks like Sonys are more problematic.

7. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    MY REPLY:
    Sorry for delay in reply. Had trouble logging in.
    Thank you both for your replies to my posts.

My TV is Sony Bravia model #XBR-55X85OC

Not sure how to turn off anything under HDMI control as you describe. I have minimal technical knowledge of this stuff.

I assume the HDMI connector cord came with my Roamio. Was years ago that I hooked up the Roamio and Digital cable box.

I think the problem has to be with Sony. I just got the TV days ago. The former hookups were to an old Sony box tv (like 90s vintage) and then a flat panel Sansui (yes, that is the spelling). Neither had this particular problem unless I accidentally changed the input.

I am going to try calling Sony again next week. They did give me a case number.

I did not pursue notification on the codes offered at the other thread since they didn't work.

8. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    First I would use HDMI 1 or HDMI 3 since they are least powerful. It's a new series, so we are lost in the weeds. I would hit HOME on your remote and see what the options are, and maybe one is Preferences or HDMI Control. You basically want to turn off all the options for CEC/HDMI Control, ARC and Bravia Sync. I would leave everything else in Auto until you can learn more about the TV. A new high speed HDMI cable from Monoprice would be good.

9. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    I will try your recommendations. Right now I am using Mute and the No Picture options rather than turn off the TV. I am a bit worried though because my tv video has just started occasional pixilation. I am hoping this is a temp cable glitch and not my TiVo hard drive going bad.

10. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Active Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Connecticut
    Do you have any other device connected that you can test with? Something like a BlueRay Player or media streamer(Roku, Apple TV...)? If so, try leaving those on and turning off the TV and back on and see if it shows a picture. This will tell you if it's specific to Tivo or the TV.

One other thing to try is running the HDMI connection through a powered HDMI switch to see if it will hold the signal. The powered HDMI switch may help the TV retain the connection between off and ons

Also, try a new HDMI cable.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2015
  11. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    That's sad. besides external devices, have you checked your TV's tuner for any signals. I assume you have the RF connection hooked to something and have done a channel scan. I still receive five analog and three clear cable signals. I never have any problems with turning off my TV or using power saving modes like you do. But there's a big difference between the "B" series and the newer "C" series. My Roamio only sends 1080i and 1080p (pass through). Sending 1080p60 gives my TV problems when viewing normal television signals. If you have another device it would be good to test it, like was posted.

Where are you located? I doubt calling TWC will do any good until you can show them it's their problem.

12. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    The Roamio and cable tuner used to be hooked to a small, Sansui (that's the correct spelling) tv. Never had this problem. There are no other new devices attached now except the Bravia. Same cords too except for cable co-ax.

From a Google search, this prob seems to have been happening with Bravias and something called, Bolt? Since at least 2012.

I am grateful for your continued attempts to assist me, but have to admit you got too technical for me there, UCLABB. Lol. I used to have RF feed lines running over the top of an old cable box, but this one has a tuner card in it. Not sure if the card removed need for RF cords? Anyway I don't think I have them with this digital box.

Have not done a channel scan. I seem to be getting everything as before.

Also looked at removing default preference for HDMI. The only one with a submenu was HDMI 3. Everything on that menu required registration, which I haven't done since I just got the TV that has those options. I don't even know what they are, actually. Can't find any HDMI prefs under Settings. Am still learning how to navigate on this thing. :p

There is a spaghetti of cords to the TiVo though. I just hooked them up according to the diagram chart - don't really know the terms for stuff. The Best Buy geek squad guy hooked up the Bravia.

I called NEO TWC and used their recorded menu to get a reset to their box since the tuner light was blinking. That stopped the blinking. I haven't actually tested whether it fixed my loss of signal problem. Am too busy with holiday preps to want to have to restart the TiVo.

So that's where I am. Glad the Bravia remote has a "pic off" button.

Did want to thank you, UCLABB, Joe and Chuck for advice.

I will try to remember to come back and update this thread if I find out more info on the problem and/or get it resolved.

Thanks again, guys! Happy Holidays to you all.

13. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC

I eventually figured out that NEO TWC refers to TWC in northeast Ohio and has nothing to do with being trapped in The Matrix, although there are no doubt times it feels that way.

14. Liz7188

Liz7188 New Member

Mar 28, 2007
    LOL! Sorry. Was in a hurry. Unknown acronyms are annoying.

I sure feel Trapped In Tech Service Maze, that's for sure. Best not to use that initialism though. ;)