Signal and 119 Sat

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by sbuxlvr76, Jan 1, 2006.

1. Jan 1, 2006 #1 of 10
    sbuxlvr76

sbuxlvr76 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Hi,

Today we have had alot of wind in the SF Bay area of up to 50mph. I am thinking that the dish is out of alignment. I get most of the channels, however I do not get some of the HD chanels. It says trying to acquire Sat signal. When I go into setup and run the test, I noticed that I have no signal on the 119 Sat. I do have the oval dish. Should I be getting signal on 119? My signal strength is around 50-60. Before I believe it was 80+.

Also, when I reboot the HD Tivo, it gets an error when downloading the guide info and says some info was not able to be retrieved.

Does this sound like it may have got out of alignment? My D10 Receivers in the other rooms seem to work fine and pass the test...

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

shawn

P.S. Happy New Year

2. Jan 2, 2006 #2 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Yes, most likely your dish was knocked out of alignment. Try this first and report back ....

* check the signal readings for the 119-deg Sat B on the D10 Receiver

If that receiver is getting a strong signal on 119-deg Sat B, then we know something else is wrong.

3. Jan 2, 2006 #3 of 10
    sbuxlvr76

sbuxlvr76 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Thanks for the reply. I am not getting any signal on Satellite 119 B.

119 B - No signal
    101 A - average signal is 50
    110 C - average signal is 50-60.

So it sure sounds like my dish is out of alignment.

Is it easy to fix or should I call Support?

Thanks

4. Jan 2, 2006 #4 of 10
    bdlucas

bdlucas Right side up again.

Feb 15, 2004
    Exurbia
    Easy to fix if you can get to your dish, have a wrench, and have a way to observe the sat signal strength on the TV while moving the dish (maybe with the help of someone by the TV on the phone). Adjust azimuth (left and right) and elevation (up and down) to maximize 110, then if necessary adjust tilt (rotation of the dish itself) to maximize 101 and 119. Repeat if necessary. You should be able to get signal strengths over 90 on all three.

5. Jan 2, 2006 #5 of 10
    Panchovilla

Panchovilla New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    S.W. New Mexico
    bdlucas is right. But I would suggest adjusting the azimuth first - if that doesn't fix it then adjust the elevation. The wind shouldn't have had any effect on the tilt.

6. Jan 2, 2006 #6 of 10
    RK7

RK7 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Sacramento
    I have a similar situation in Sacramento where we have had lots of weather over the weekend and it's still pouring now. I think I may have a couple of issues.
    I have triple LNB with OTA antenna. My main problem is that I am NOT getting a signal on my second tuner in my HR10-250 when I test any satellite. #1 tuner can still get a good picture via satellite despite the following:
    On 110 signal is in high 60s
    On 101 signal is avg 80
    On 119 signal is avg 40
    I've not been outside on the roof yet to check dish but was wondering if 2nd tuner problem is strictly to do with the HR10-250? OTA has been sporadic but I'll attribute it to the weather.

7. Jan 2, 2006 #7 of 10
    litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    Swap the two satellite input cables on the back of your HR10-250. If the problem stays at Sat2, then you know it's a problem inside the DVR. If the problem "moves" to Sat1, then something is wrong with that cable line .... trace it back towards the dish and check all the connectors to ensure that they're dry and snug.

8. Jan 2, 2006 #8 of 10
    RK7

RK7 New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Sacramento
    I solved my #2 tuner problem by unplugging unit. We'd had a power outage on Saturday and I think that's what caused it. I'm still getting same dreadful signal levels although it's still raining pretty hard so I'll guess I'll have to venture outside after it lets up.

9. Jan 4, 2006 #9 of 10
    sbuxlvr76

sbuxlvr76 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Well. I tried to adjust the up/down myself and it went to 80% and then went to 0%. I cannot get ANY signal now. I have put it back to the original position and still nothing. I would expect to be able to get something but i just am unable to find the signal.

I called DirectTV support and they are scheduling a tech to come out and re-align it. The earliest date they could give me was the 26th. How ridiculous is that. They treat repairs and new installs the same. I told them to give me the number of the local installer. After a bit of escalations, they gave me the number. I called the local tech and they will be here this saturday. Anyone else have this issue with directv?

Any suggestions how I might align this myself? Im going to miss ER tomorrow night :(

thanks

10. sbuxlvr76

sbuxlvr76 New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    After alot of patiences, I was able to get it working. It turns out that the bottom of the mount was twisting just a little where is was not supposed to. I was able to turn it and tighten down the bolts all around. Now I have 92% on the 110 and around 86 on the others.

Thanks,

Shawn