Sick and tired of Romio Power Rebooting

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by JThiessen, Jul 7, 2019.

1. Jul 7, 2019 #1 of 21
    JThiessen

JThiessen New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    WA
    Venting here - growing sooo tired of having to do the power reboot on my Romio.
    Now on my 2nd one (that's a whole other story - if you really want to know what the value of your extended/lifetme warranty is, pm me).
    At least once a week I turn on the system (home theater, seperate enclosed utility closet for the equipment), only to find no signal from the Romio. Have to power reboot it to get a signal.
    This is not a new thing with the replacment unit, happened about once a month with the old one.

THings I wish I woulda known way back when i bought these things....

2. Jul 7, 2019 #2 of 21
    Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I wonder what's going on. I've never had that on my Roamio boxes, despite many years of use. The most I've had is, every few months, the Roamio (Basic) not connecting to the network--a re-boot always fixes that. When I spoke with a TiVo engineer about that years ago, he said that it was a known glitch with my AT&T-suppled DSL modem-router and its WPA2 security setting; he said that I could avoid the issue by going down to security-deficient WEP (no, thank you--I'll re-boot, if need be, every few months).

3. Jul 7, 2019 #3 of 21
    kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Change the 'Power On' sequence of your equipment.

Probably consider giving 'more than enough time' for each piece of equipment to full power on and 'settle in' before powering the next unit on. See if you can't figure out the 'proper' sequence. Usually, starting at one 'end' of the video chain, or the other, is the way to go.

Also, there's no way you're putting that TiVo in to Standby, right?

-KP

4. Jul 8, 2019 #4 of 21
    HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    And try disable any power savings options if you have them enabled.

Scott

5. Jul 8, 2019 #5 of 21
    fcfc2

fcfc2 Well-Known Member

Feb 19, 2015
    I am curious about the "enclosed utility closet". Is it possible that excess heat could be part of the problem? Is the Tivo sitting on top of some other component?

rpiotro likes this.
  6. Jul 8, 2019 #6 of 21
    JThiessen

JThiessen New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    WA
    KP - that is actually what it acts like. I've played with the stand by settings, and power off settings - I'm still not sure that I have it set correctly.
    Currently my power saving settings are Off.
    The most frequent occurance is when I havent used the system in a few days.
    If the screen has "No Signal", first look is at the Romio - normally the green light is on (I assume this means the unit is on). I'll press the Tivo button (thinking maybe the unit is in Standby), and it should turn on then, correct?
    In my case, it does nothing unitl I do the power chord reset process.

FWIW, the "closet" isnt fully enclosed - it is off to the side of the room, with a 6' tall bass trap in front of it, and that is behind one of my JTR speakers (about 120 lbs). SO every time I need to get in there, its a major PIA. Recently I've had it sitting on top of the speaker, just because it happens so frequently.

7. Jul 8, 2019 #7 of 21
    pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    What is the MBT (mean board temperature) being reported for your Roamio? MBT can be found under System Information (on TE3: Settings & Messages > Help > Account & System Info > System Information).

8. Jul 8, 2019 #8 of 21
    kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd try some basic troubleshooting.

If you just turn the TV off, wait some seconds and turn it back on, do you still have a picture and sound?

Same with the A/V Receiver?

How are you controlling it? A 'universal' remote?

There should be a light on the front panel indicating if it's on, or not.

Does it still respond, while 'locked up', to KMTTG? Or can you reach its Web Page with a Browser? Does it respond to a Network Ping?

-KP

9. Jul 9, 2019 #9 of 21
    JThiessen

JThiessen New Member

Nov 2, 2014
    WA
    Took me a bit to locate it, but its 39.

10. pfiagra

pfiagra Active Member

Oct 13, 2014
    That’s a normal reading, so excess heat can likely be ruled out as a cause.

11. rpiotro

rpiotro Member

Oct 20, 2005
    Greenfield, WI
    The odds against having two machines exhibiting the exact same misbehavior are pretty high. I would follow some of the suggestions offered here before you send off for another one.

12. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Sure sounds like some sort of HDMI handshaking issue to me. Connect the Roamio directly to the TV and see if it happens, and definitely do not use power save or standby.

13. osu1991

osu1991 Well-Known Member

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    I’m suddenly in the same boat. The past couple of weeks the Roamio I use for OTA locks up about every 36-48hrs. The green light is on but no signal onscreen and no response to the remote. I have to pull the power and once it restarts it works normally. I have a Bolt connected to the same tv that I use for cable, so the OTA isn’t used on the tv all the time. The Bolt is a replacement I got last month from TiVo for a cable Roamio that lost its hdmi port.

I have power savings turned off. I swapped the power brick a few days ago on it with one from an extra Roamio that I had bought for parts and the remote from woot. The MBT internal temp is 41.

This Roamio is running TE4 as is my other Roamio OTA at the lake house. The other Roamio isn’t having any problems. The Ethernet port went out on this one 6months or so ago, I guess I should have taken TiVo up on their offer to replace it with a Bolt last month when they replaced the other Roamio.

I don’t know of anything else to try short of a factory reset and then calling TiVo.

14. trip1eX

trip1eX Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2005
    My Roamio PLus just rebooted at 5-5 Live in the 5th set of the Federer-Djokovic Wimbledon Championship.

15. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Mine was locked up again this morning. I’m going to pull the 2T drive out and put the original 500go back in. I may roll it back to TE3 and see if that helps it, but probably will be calling TiVo tomorrow and see about replacing it like I did with my other one a few months ago.

16. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    and... I’ve apparently killed it. Now it just goes to a black screen after Starting Up and sits there. :(

17. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I'd run a KickStart 57, I think...(check Media Files?)

-KP

18. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Active Member

Nov 27, 2014
    As far as the OP goes, I had a similar problem and was ready to swap boxes. Even though I thought it would not fix the problem, I unplugged the Roamio from a power strip and plugged it directly into the wall. The box hasn't restarted in at least three months. If you are using a power strip try this. It can't hurt and don't cost nuthin'.

19. osu1991

Mar 6, 2015
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, didn't work. will call Tivo in a bit.

20. Charles R

Charles R Active Member

Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    My Roamio was rebooting every few months to once a week or so (at the end). When I started to swap drives (had run several Clear & Delete) I noticed the power cord wasn't "fully in" the power strip's socket. Inserted it better and it hasn't reboot since... knock on wood.