Shutting Tivo down for a long time

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by mat111, Jan 10, 2021.

1. mat111

mat111 New Member

Sep 11, 2019

Advertisements

I have two OTA Roamios with lifetime service. I want to shut one of them down for 6 months or more. What kind of problems might I face when I power the Tivo backup?

2. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Only 6 months? Probably none. If you are running TE3 (20.x software), it hasn't changed in over two years.

3. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    If you are shutting down for long periods, I'd recommend unplugging the device. A TiVo "shutdown" only reduces power consumption by a small amount, so it is better to do a shutdown and then unplug.

When powering back up, the TiVo will need to "phone home" to update guide information and possibly perform software updates. You can accelerate the process by manually initiating service connections a couple of times.

cwerdna likes this.
  4. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Maybe only shut it down for 5 months ?? ... in case TiVo introduces any promos similar to past ones offered for Lifetime’d Premiere and older DVRs, but with eligibility limited to devices that had made a successful service connection in the past 6 months.

5. mat111

mat111 New Member

Sep 11, 2019

Advertisements

After thinking about this some more I realize that my situation is that my viewing habit has changed and my 2nd Roamio is not being used and what I really what to do is store it away for some future need should my situation change. So I guess it could be turned off for many many months or even years. In that case I could power it back up for a service connection at some interval, say once a year more or less. Would that be wise or even needed?

6. KeepingUp

KeepingUp New Member

Jan 9, 2005
    Michigan
    You may want to make that call quarterly. If Tivo stays in business they may offer good trade in deals. Historically, their trade ins require a box to have been logged in within the last 90 days. The other risk is that your ISP stops issuing cable cards, if you give up your current C.C. You will be at risk for that.
    I have a roamio that I consider my backup. I pay Spectrum $3/month, and I
    Power it up every other month or so to do the maint call.
    I do tend to paranoia in these kind of things.

7. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    It may vary. e.g.:

8. JackMcC

JackMcC Active Member

Aug 11, 2019
    6 months? Try using a lifetime Premier after 5 years. I had to wait 8 hours for the update to finish. I thought it hung for good, but luckily it came back to life after 3am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk