Showtime Will Soon Launch A Direct-To-Consumer Streaming Service

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by tarheelblue32, Mar 13, 2015.

1. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    http://deadline.com/2015/03/les-moo...ect-to-consumer-streaming-service-1201390510/

Looks like Showtime won't be far behind HBO in the standalone over-the-top streaming service. No word on price, but I can't imagine they would try to go over the $14.99/month price point that HBO has established for their service. It'll be interesting to see if they try to undercut HBO on price a little, maybe $12.99/month?

2. dswallow

dswallow Save the ModeratŠ¾r TCF Club

Dec 3, 2000
    Long...
    They need to get it available ASAP, during HBO Now's Apple-exclusive period, and they could probably leverage it pretty well, taking advantage of the initial HBO Now buzz.

(Not that I expect them to manage that. :))

3. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    They could probably do it in time if they were to just utilize their existing Showtime Anytime apps and infrastructure. All they would need to set up is the payment and authentication system.

4. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    They talked about this late last year, so they've already been working on it. They might actually be capable of launching it during the HBO Apple TV exclusive period.

5. Johncv

Johncv Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Chula Vista, CA
    The problem with this, according to some financial advisor, is that it going to fail. HBO MAY be able to charge $14.99 and it still a big maybe, but Showtime and "other" pay-to-view channel is that none of them have drawing power of HBO. Is everyone going start paying $14.99 for every channel? What about CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, PBS, TNT, CNN etc. Are we going start paying $14.99 for all channel? Is this the future of TV? Entertainment for 1%, infomercials and reality shows for 99%. :p :(

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I agree. I think HBO has enough appeal to maybe pull this off, and it isn't their only source of revenue, so they don't need big numbers anyway. But Showtime? What's on Showtime that I need to see so badly that I would pay monthly? I get Showtime as part of my cable package, and I rarely watch anything on it.

7. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    I think the future is going to be bundled services like Sling TV which are delivered via IP but are essentially a collection of the most popular channels offered via cable. No one wants to pay 20 different companies for access to channels they watch. But they also don't want to pay one company $150+/mo for 200 channels of which they only watch 20. With increased competition from IP based service we're going to see a wide range of bundling options and hopefully lower prices to match.

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Maybe a service that costs $9.99 and gives you 5 channels that you can choose from a list, then $2 for each extra channel.

9. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I like Shameless, but that's the only Showtime series I really watch.

10. tarheelblue32

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    No, every channel won't be $14.99/month. CBS is only $5.99/month.

http://deadline.com/2014/10/cbs-launches-subscription-streaming-service-852895/

But in an a la carte tv world, this is how much buying individual channels is probably going to cost. $15 for HBO, ~$6 for each of the broadcast channels and channels like AMC, TNT, or FX, and probably $20-$25/month for the ESPN family of networks. OTT bundles like Sling TV will get you more channels for a single price. I doubt the $20/month price for Sling TV will hold up that long though. In a year or two they will start to raise the price of it, just like cable and satellite packages do now.

11. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Updating similar to Arcady:

Locals:
    ABC - 3 | PBS - 3 | FOX - 1 | CW - 1

Cable:
    AJAM - 1| AMC - 4 | A&E -1 | BBCA - 1 | Bravo - 1 | Comedy Central - 1| Cooking - 3 |
    DIY - 1 | FOOD - 3 | FX - 2 | Sundance - 1 | TLC -1

Comcast Sports Net - Hockey

Premium:
    Cinemax - 1 | HBO - 6 | Starz - 1 | Show - 4 (Shameless / Homeland / Masters of Sex / Nurse Jackie / to name a few)

Its pretty spread out and this ignores shows that are going away shortly like Mad Men / Justified / ...

It also does not include Netflix, and odd ball one time events.
    I could probably get some things a year later on Netflix but I don't see how I can cut the cord

There is also a lot of new stuff coming in 2015/2016 that will mess with this as well.

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I never really bothered to look at how my passes are divided by channel. Here's my breakdown:

Locals:
    ABC-11 | CBS-14 | Fox-8 | NBC-5 | CW-4
    Total: 42

Cable:
    AMC-6 | TBS-2 | USA-4 | FX-3 | TNT-3 | E!-1
    Discovery-2 | A&E-2 | History-3 | CC-2 | Bravo-7
    BBCA-6 | SyFy-3 | TV Land-1 | ABC Family-2
    Total: 47

Premium:
    HBO-4 | Showtime-2
    Total: 6

I had no idea my wife was recording seven things on Bravo, or that she had two programs on Showtime.

Besides HBO/Showtime, it looks like my local and cable use is about equal. There's no streaming package that is going to capture all that stuff in one go.

I think we need new options that are not based on channels, but I'm not sure how that would be any better than buying season subscriptions through Amazon or iTunes.

13. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I hope so. In another thread I said I would be willing to pay $40/mo for 5-10 non-premium cable channels of my choice if the service came with a DVR. Unfortunately Streaming is never going to work for me so I would still need someone like Dish to deliver it via satellite.

14. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015
    Every month that I keep subscribing to HBO/SHO and see what it costs, and then look at the very few recordings I make from them, I start thinking that is a lot of money for not much at all that I'm interested in.

But for HBO the Boxing and some of the original series are good enough to have me keep that one almost always.

For Showtime, it is the boxing and much fewer original series that do it.

IF I could get the boxing from somewhere else, I'd be getting the few original series via iTunes or some such and saving money. But alas, sports again fouls up that idea! :(

15. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    The public library has been my friend for HBO, Showtime, and other cable series. :)

(Yep, I'm always behind by a year or 2, but what's the rush? It's not like "The Sopranos" will lose its relevance a year later . . . . And then I can do a binge of shows at a time, watching an entire season over a week.)

16. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    But what's the cost of Showtime on cable? I thought it was the same as HBO.

17. lparsons21

lparsons21 Active Member

Feb 17, 2015

How much is charged varies by cable company. I know that on satellite HBO is about $4-5 more than All the other Premiums.

On Mediacom, SHO and HBO are the same @$19/month, but I just signed up and got SHO for $9.95 for the 1st year.

18. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    When it comes to costs one must,factor in that HBO is usually bundled with Cinemax and there are multiple HBO"s and Maxes within it. Likewise Showtime is usually bundled with The Movie Channel.
    With ala carte streaming it will be awhile before you see that (if ever).
    I don't expect Showtime to try to undercut HBO. It's owner, CBS thinks it's content is valuable, I would expect at least 14.99 if not higher.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  19. tenthplanet

tenthplanet Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Good deal, enjoy :)

20. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Regarding availability of this, I don't think it will be available until 2016.

Les Moonves said it will launch "in the not-too-distant future". He could have used any number of vague timeframes ("next few months", "summer", "fall", "later this year") if he expected it to launch this year.

They may be wanting to watch the HBO Now rollout for a few quarters to learn from that. People seem to be clamoring for standalone HBO, but I don't really see that for Showtime (but there is definitely demand for it) so waiting until 2016 probably isn't a big deal for them.