Showtime - Free Preview Weekend 3/31-4/3 on Dishnetwork (maybe other systems too?)

Discussion in 'Season Pass Alerts' started by Grimm1, Mar 27, 2006.

1. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA

Advertisements

Just saw a commercial for this. Showtime: It's All 4 You Free Preview Weekend, 03/31 - 04/03 on channels 285-295. This was on Dishnetwork...this is the same thing they did for the HBO free preview weekend. Instead of opening the existing channels they are duplicating them to a group of unused channels.

This stinks for TiVo recording because you have to manual record everything. Is there any chance that TiVo would dupe the guide data for those few days to those corresponding channels?

2. balboa dave

balboa dave well rounded

Jan 19, 2004
    Newport...
    The free preview is on DirecTV also, and on their usual channels. TiVo will work just fine.

3. weymo

weymo timeshifter

Jan 26, 2003
    Atlanta
    Adelphia cable appears to be participating

4. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    Just a reminder - This starts tomorrow.

Does anyone from TiVo read these? I sure wish they would update the guide data for Dishnetwork subscribers who are going to get these channels for the next 4 days on alternative channels (285-295) instead of the normal ones.

I don't understand what Dishnetworks reasoning is for doing this...but it forces TiVo users to record everything manually which means we end up with a bunch of nameless recordings in our Now Showing list.

5. Lurker1

Lurker1 Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2004

Advertisements

Yes, it is a pain, and DISH is doing it again for the Starz Free Preview April 28 - May 1. Lots of manual nameless recordings again...

6. Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    True, but half of the movies I recorded from SHO-HD were spoiled by big brightly-colored blocks, a few pixels tall but very wide. One or two of the movies I recorded in HD were chopped up/truncated/shortened by the poor signal from the sat. A wasted free weekend, IMHO.

And what about the huge opaque overlays, top & bottom, instructing you to call now (!) to subscribe? They obscured almost half of the picture in some cases and occurred every 20 minutes or so, lasting maybe 5 seconds each time. Was this advertising presented to Dish viewers as well?

7. Grimm1

Grimm1 Member

Jan 9, 2000
    Stanton, CA
    You mean during the movie? Not that I recall.

8. Syzygy

Syzygy New Member

Aug 17, 2000
    Twin Cities, MN
    Yep, they were during the movie. So I guess it was just D* doing the adverts.