Shows you binged and surprisingly liked during Covid-19

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by robojerk, Sep 19, 2020.

1. robojerk

robojerk Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2006
    Laguna Hills CA

Advertisements

So the wife and I started some shows. and some fell flat, some were good, others I think may have been good on a week to week basis but are horrible for binging. Here are the ones we liked the best. My list doesn't include recently series premiered shows, if you liked something thanks new you can share it.

The 100, the CW show about teenage prisoners orbiting a post nuclear war earth on an Ark who are forced down to the planet's surface to see if it's inhabitable and if they can survive since they are deemed expendable. To be honest the premise sounded lame to me years ago when it was first put out. However my sister asked me to use some magic to get the past episodes of the currently airing Season 7 for her and I heard someone else talk about it so I figured why not try it. This show in my opinion is a very binge worthy show, the plot moves and the seasons are just 13 episodes each, We're just starting season 3

The Magicians
    The Umbrella Academy

Cobra Kai, To be honest I watched it already when it originally aired on the YouTube Premium but people had suggested it to my wife (after showing zero interest in it when I watched it at first) so I offered to watch it again with her and she really enjoyed it.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
  2. hefe

hefe Rebus Philbin

Dec 5, 2000
    CO via Chi-town
    I haven't watched or binged more shows as a result of COVD-19.

3. ufo4sale

ufo4sale Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Somerset NJ...
    Cobra Kai is an awesome show I'm glad I caught it the second time around.

The 100 is an excellent show. I love it to this day even the current episodes. This will be the opposite of you typical CW show. I've learned so much about war from it. The character's development is astonishing. Must watch show.:)

4. samsauce29

samsauce29 Active Member

Nov 30, 2007
    Erie, PA
    We've worked through Narcos and Narcos: Mexico on Netflix over the past month. I wasn't prepared to like it, but they were both very good. We're currently disappointed that Netflix hasn't committed one way or the other on a third season for the Mexico version.

We also watched Little Fires Everywhere on Hulu. Very intense, but enjoyable in the end.

5. BradJW

BradJW Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2008
    Houston

Advertisements

The Tiger King.

Other shows we've binged

Arrested Development
    Dead Like Me
    The Love Boat
    Bloodlines (on season 2 currently)

there are probably a few others.

6. Fixer

Fixer Fixin' it!!

Mar 29, 2005
    The Great...
    Although I didn't stop going to work, there were some slow nights that allowed for extracurricular TV watching.

I checked out "The End of the F***ing World" and "I Am Not Okay with This" since they were short seasons with short episodes. Even though they were centered around angsty teenagers, to my surprise, I enjoyed them both. The inner monologues were the highlight. Was really disappointed to see "I Am Not Okay with This" cancelled, considering it ended on a cliffhanger. :(

7. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    I have to say I don't really understand the Tiger King craze. We watched up through episode 6 or so (I think it was the one with the fire) then just looked at each other and asked "why are we wasting our leisure time watching these people?" They seem crazy but in a dumb way, not an entertaining way. IMO a one or two hour documentary would have given you all the interesting info about them there is to know. I've never felt the need to go back and watch the rest. Am I missing something? Was the ending worth it? Or is it just one of those "if you don't get it, you don't get it" kinds of things?

Of course we also bailed early on Making a Murderer, as I recall. Maybe we just have a low tolerance for true stories of degenerate people.

Really enjoyed "End of the F**king world" and "I am not OK with This" as well. If you liked those you might enjoy "Sex Education" as well.

8. gweempose

gweempose Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 23, 2003
    Northbrook, IL
    The same thing happened with us, but I think it was after episode four or five. We realized we were forcing ourselves to watch a show that we didn't find particularly entertaining. Once the initial shock value wore off, there just wasn't enough substance to keep us interested.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  9. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I finished, it, but only to keep up with "pop culture" I guess. I hated everyone in the series, and I also didn't get why I watched it.

Agree about all the series you suggested. Sex Education is great. I'll add another teenage angst show, Atypical. The twist with that one is that the main character is Autistic.

For me, I guess the best series I've binged that I never thought I'd like was "The Boys" on AP. I only watched S1 and I'll watch S2 when the whole thing drops.

10. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    Archer - I dont know how I ever disliked this show. We watched a couple of episodes a while back and thought it was stupid. We revisited it and wondered why we hated it. Great show.

You're the worst - I started watching this because of Aya Cash (The Boys) and its a great show. Still in the first season on this one.

11. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Haven't seen the show, thought I did listen to a 48 Hours podcast episode about the case today... yeah.. I think that's a valid reason. If people think one should know about Shakespeare or Beethoven or something like that, one should also at least be somewhat educated about entertainment/pop culture too. (Some eon I'll "force" myself to watch Citizen Kane and Gone with the Wind... who knows, I may like them.. I did like Casablanca even much younger. Some of the various books we had to read in high school that seemed like 'work' then are good in retrospect.)

Though not exactly on the topic, I have been slightly binging the 2nd season of The Connors since it supposedly expires this Thursday off Hulu. I'm pretty sure I said a very similar thing about the new show before Roseanne got booted off... but this really is almost the perfect continuation TV show. Though they really are not deep/intellectual laughs, the jokes are just as good as on the original incarnation decades ago.. (I made a similar comment in the Murphy Brown continuation, but I now think this one probably was even better..). They also once in a rare while show a tiny clip of the original show sort of as a flashback, or make an allusion to something we saw on the orig show.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    FWIW, Casablanca is one of the best movies ever made. Citizen Kane, snooze fest. But that's my opinion, and I haven't seen Citizen Kane since I was in college so maybe I would like it better now. Gone with the Wind? Another movie I saw as a kid and don't remember much about it, only that it was a bit of a "chick flick". Usually I'm not drawn in by Pop Culture, but so many people around me were talking about the Tiger King, so I watch, kept thinking it could get better, more interesting, but really, it was kind of like watching the inner workings of a third rate traveling carnival. So unless you like watching "freaks", the show might not be for you.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    osu1991 likes this.
  13. Amnesia

Amnesia The Question

Jan 30, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I've been watching Columbo for the first time and I'm really enjoying it.

I really started because I started watching Motive, which is a "howcatchem" show that starts off with the murder and victim at the beginning and then the body of the show focuses on the...well...motive as well as the police investigation of the case. Anyway, the Wikipedia page for the show Motive mentions that its "inverted detective story" was similar to Columbo's.

Oh, and I'm watching Motive because I'm also watching 24 (I'm up to season 5). Roger Cross is a regular in this season and I know him from Dark Matter (and Coroner). I looked up other shows he has been in an that's where I found Motive...

Inundated likes this.
  14. SullyND

SullyND W: 12-7 TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Latest was Yellowstone. Picard, Voyager and Enterprise. Can’t get myself into Discovery or DS9. Rewatched the Sopranos, could do that again.

15. KungFuCow

KungFuCow Thread Killer

May 6, 2004
    DS9 gets really good in the later seasons. Its worth sticking it out if you can.

16. kaszeta

kaszeta $nullstring TCF Club

Jun 11, 2004
    Grantham, NH
    1. Outlander (Starz). On paper it's everything I wouldn't like about a show, but it kinda works. I think it could have used some editing (every episode seems to be about a 45 minute episode stretched to over an hour).

2. Cheer (Netflix).

3. Orphan Black. Started this many times. The pandemic finally gave me a chance to watch multiple seasons.

17. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    I've started watching DS9 because my wife's never seen it. When we got together she hadn't seen any Star Trek whatsoever. That said, I haven't watched DS9 other than random episodes here and there since its original airing! Lots of surprises here, we just got to the "game" episode in Season 1, and I have to say I didn't hate it near as much as I did when I originally saw it. I dreaded it during this watch nearly as much as I always dread the boxing episode of Babylon 5! But this one, I don't know why I hated it so much in its original airing, the only thing I can think of is that I was already so disappointed with DS9 at the time that I just hated everything. It's not that bad though, not any worse than any of the previous episodes that had aired anyway. And even those weren't all that bad, preconceived notions are a funny thing.

18. justen_m

justen_m Cheesehead TCF Club

Jan 14, 2004
    Boise, ID
    I'm re-watching S7 of DS9, the final season. First three episodes were good. I can't remember if Nicole de Boer grows on me or not. Maybe I'll re-watch the "game" episode. I don't remember it. I don't remember if I liked DS9 much when it first aired, but I like it now. I'm re-watching quite a bit of Trek. H&I (Heroes and Icons) network has it every weeknight. An episode each, in order, of TOS, TNG, DS9, Voyager and Enterprise. I can save up a weeks worth of each, and then binge on the weekend.

19. gchance

gchance 4 8 15 16 23 42

Dec 6, 2002
    Olivehurst, CA
    Hah, I just looked it up on Wikipedia.

"A 2015 binge-watching guide for Star Trek: Deep Space Nine by W.I.R.E.D. recommended skipping this episode."

"In 2016, fans at the 50th anniversary Star Trek convention voted "Move Along Home" as the worst episode of the series, and the eighth-worst episode of the Star Trek franchise overall, being the only episode of Deep Space Nine to end up in the bottom ten. Digital Fox ranked this episode as the second worst episode of all Star Trek up to 2018."

Apparently I wasn't the only one. But like I said, it wasn't as bad as my original assessment in 1993.

justen_m likes this.
  20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Just wondering how old you are. (I've never heard of Motive IIRC, and do think they could do a new version of Columbo even though I realize everyone would freak.)

Also, where are you watching it?

I like that some of the things in the episodes were REALLY high tech for the time.. e.g. video recorder (not cassette based) in a William Shatner episode.. and a digital watch in another episode.