1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shows transferred from Roamio lock up in the middle of playing

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by elorimer, Aug 10, 2018.

1. elorimer

elorimer New Member

Jan 1, 2012
    I just got a Bolt Vox and upgraded it with a 4tb drive with mfst. I didn't downgrade to TE3. I've transferred a number of shows from a Roamio. (Not many, as Optimum sets the copy bit for most shows other than PBS, and randomly most broadcast network shows.)

A problem I'm seeing is that these shows will often lock up in the middle of playing (11 minute mark, 16 minute mark, 22 minute mark). The UI becomes unresponsive but will eventually respond to the Tivo button. These shows play fine on the Roamio, and stream fine from the Roamio.

I've done a full extended Lifeguard test on the 4tb drive without issue. Shows recorded on the Bolt aren't exhibiting this problem, but perhaps this is early days. Should I be concerned? Hard for me to see how this could be something about the Bolt itself.

It kind of doesn't matter whether I stream or transfer, and I may just stream because of the copy bit problem.

2. mandms7

mandms7 Member

Mar 11, 2006
    Bay Area, CA
    I experienced this exact same issue with one of the shows I transferred from my Roamio to my Box Vox. I have the stock 1TB drive in my Bolt. It wouldn't play or fast forward past the 11 minute mark and became unresponsive. Playing the same show from my Roamio on the Bolt worked without issue.

3. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
  4. elorimer

elorimer New Member

Jan 1, 2012
    Very helpful. So I'm thinking I don't have an issue with the box itself, or the drive. This is a software problem, not a warranty problem.

5. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes, a software problem. Someone elsewhere said he copied files to his PC (from his original TiVo) and they played OK. But transferring them to a Hydra TiVo resulted in the errors we are getting.

Another point of interest: I downloaded one of the bad (transferred) files from my Hydra unit to my iPhone, and the error occurred playing on the iPhone at the exact same point as on the TiVo. So it appears that whatever Hydra does to ruin the file, the damage is permanent.

6. vascott1

vascott1 Member

Jan 8, 2004
    Fairfax, VA
    I had the same issue but so far only on ones I copied when I did all at once. I have since gone back and redone all my shows with no more than 5-6 selected at a time. Took me a few days to get it all done but so far so good. It just seems the Bolt or the Roamio gets overwhelmed and screws up. Software for sure and really it seems only a problem when you first set up and want to move everything over. I have a few shows that are protected and will just leave the Roamio connected to watch them. I was told, here, that once your account is fully moved from one box to the other (lifetime transfer deal) I can still watch the Roamio but can no longer stream from it to the Bolt.

7. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    I tried a re-transfer of 6 problem shows this morning and all failed to play properly. I've also tried 1 show at a time and the ones that fail always fail again. I'm transferring from a Premiere XL4, so maybe that makes a difference.

You are correct about being able to watch recorded programs on a deactivated unit directly, but not stream them to another TiVo. However, I want to completely replace the Premiere in my system with the Bolt, and have only the Bolt connected to the TV.

Now, if TiVo would allow me to keep the Premiere activated, I could hide it near my network equipment and just keep it connected by ethernet cable for streaming. At least until they solve the transfer problem.

8. jcthorne

jcthorne Well-Known Member

Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Use Kmttg to transfer the shows to your pc. Recode them to h.264 in an mp4 file and then use pytivo to transfer them to the bolt. Should eliminate whatever hiccup in the file is causing the trouble.

9. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    My understanding is that it is impossible to transfer from PC to TiVo Hydra.

10. copwriter

copwriter Member

Aug 29, 2005
    My shows were transferred from a Premiere, but I’m having the same problem. Hour-long shows freeze at about 20 minutes.

11. Phil_C

Phil_C Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Chicago
    Yes, the lockups occur mostly at 10-11 minutes or 20-22 minutes, although they can happen at any random point.

I now calculate that 80% of my transfers fail to play. No amount of re-tries help.

12. Mover480

Mover480 Member

Jan 14, 2006
    I transferred the shows from my Premiere to a PC using pyTivo Desktop in .TS format. Then use Plex to play them on the Bolt. Works just fine.