Shows recording without sound

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by kdl, Feb 7, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Feb 7, 2018 #1 of 24
    kdl

kdl New Member

Feb 11, 2009
    I've never had this issue before. I googled and found people with the problem from 2010, 2013, 2015 and one post from Jan 2018 (without a resolution).

I've had 2 shows I tried to watch today that don't have sound. I first tried to watch them on my TV and found no sound, then I tried the iPad and also found no sound.

I am located in Texas. The 2 shows are on different networks.
    ABC - 2/1/18
    TNT - 12/19/17

These are 2 shows out of many that record. I've never had an audio issue with live TV so I don't know if there was an issue during these times or not.

As mentioned, this has never happened before on any of my Tivo boxes (currently Roamio).

Thank you in advance if you have any idea how to get the sound restored or if you know it's a lost cause and I just need to buy the episodes missing sound.

2. Feb 7, 2018 #2 of 24
    UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    I have one cable channel, Velocity, that off and on I get no sound, live or recorded. I can change channels a couple of times and it will come back. Since I record a fair amount of programs on this channel, I try to leave it active on one of my tuners because once it’s tuned with sound, it’s fine. I have no idea what causes this issue.

3. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    I have a similar problem, if I turned on the Tivo, then the TV, I wouldn't have sound or the sound was garbled but if I turn on the TV first(Samsung56"), wait a few seconds, then turn on the Tivo, the sound was perfect every time. (using HDMI cable between Tivo and TV).

4. V7Goose

V7Goose OTA ONLY and Loving It!

May 28, 2005
    New Mexico...
    Turn on the TiVo? How do you manage that, since TiVos do not how any on/off switch? Perhaps you really mean "wake up" the TiVo?

The first thing I suggest you do is replace that HDMI cable. And if it is an issue with waking up the box, just turning off the power saving feature is also an option (testing has shown that only makes a very minor change in power consumption anyway).

PSU_Sudzi likes this.
  5. rdrrepair

rdrrepair Bill Knapp

Nov 24, 2006
    845 New York
    I had this issue once. I deleted a bunch of recordings thinking it was as issue with the channel. I kept having this problem so I pulled the plug, waited a minute, plugged it back in and recovered all my recently deleted shows. No problem on playback after that.

6. Sptrader

Sptrader Member

Oct 7, 2017
    Yes, awaken the Tivo is what I meant. I do have max energy saving turned on, so that could be the problem. I used max energy saving hoping that it would put the hard drive to sleep(stop) when not used, to extend its lifespan. (not sure if it does put the drive to sleep).

7. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    TiVo tunes and records more than one sound track. You can select which one is being used by pressing the Info button and scrolling down. I had a recent recording that appeared to have no audio. It was using the default audio track, called "English -- Dolby Audio", which normally works fine. However by selecting the other available track, called "SAP (AD or Spanish -- Dolby Audio)" I got normal sounding English audio. This doesn't make sense to me. I suspect somewhere along the line from original source to my cable feed, an error was made. This happens so seldom, and the 'fix' is so easy, that it isn't worth the trouble to try to get someone to fix it. I've spent too much of my life already dealing with support people, especially on problems like this that provide plenty of opportunities for "finger pointing". (It's your TiVo; It's the cable co; it's the network feed, etc.)

8. schatham

schatham Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2007
    I had one show a few weeks ago with no sound. Has not happened before or since.

9. dfreybur

dfreybur Active Member

Jan 27, 2006
    I have had an issue of sound falling away. The show just goes silent. I hit pause and play, the sound resumes for a while. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It happened with season 10 Doctor Who on Amazon Prime on a lot of episodes. Not other streaming show I have noticed.

Last night it happened with an NCIS episode we started playing live on some local channel. Pressing pause/play never got us as far back as a commercial break.

It's pretty clearly an issue on our local Roamio OTA. We have more than one Tivo boxes and it doesn't happen on the other one. Thinking of activating a box that's currently powered off to replace that particular Roamio OTA to see if it's unique to that box.

10. choco

choco Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    I have the same problem with CBS shows, and it's been happening for an entire year. I know exactly what actions cause the problem to occur, which I described in detail in my post here:

Odd Audio Dropouts

I reported the bug to Tivo a year ago, but they never responded or fixed the problem. Because of this, my workaround is similar to UCLABB's. On days I know that CBS shows will record, I try to make sure one tuner is set to CBS, and the rest of the tuners are set to "good" channels (explained in my old post). It's painful, and sometimes I forget and get no audio on a CBS show, but what can you do when bugs like this are never fixed...

11. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    Occasionally I have this problem, a show gets recorded and the audio doesn't play. Been going on for a while. Usually, the fix is to change the audio track, usually to Spanish - Dolby Audio.

Tonight I sat down to watch an episode of Vikings and no sound. I switched audio tracks to Spanish - Dolby Audio and bingo sound is restored. However this track has the expected English dialogue but also has a most annoying narration.

12. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I wonder if you switch back to the original audio track, if everything will be ok now.

I assume that the track you now are on is the alternate track with audio descriptions, especially for use by those with vision impairments.

13. choco

choco Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    I'm still having the same problem with CBS, going on 2 years now. I'm now using a more automatic workaround though. I have 4 repeating manual recordings set to record every day from 7:30-7:35pm (right before our primetime) on 4 of the "good" channels. The manual recordings are set at lowest priority in the season pass list. This puts all 4 tuners on good channels (assuming no real shows are recording), which greatly lessens the chance that a CBS show will record without audio.

This clutters the recorded shows list with 4 junk recordings, but the manual recordings are keep at most 1 episode, so it's not too terrible. It's better than having to manually manage the tuners, but I just wish they could fix this bug...

Maybe this bug is fixed on Hydra? I'm not on it, so can't test.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I guess you are not using power saving or Standby? Two years! You have patience. I have three basic Roamio. On one, it records CBS, NBC and 99% Comedy Central. All recording is on the same tuners. In five years I have never had any audio problems. Ever.

If I was having a CBS issue, first thing I would do is record the SD mirror channel. If that is also bad then it is my cable company. Another thought. Tune to CBS. Restart the box. All tuners will be on that CBS channel. I wonder if all your manual recordings are silent.

What does your diagnostics show on that channel for Available and Selected Audio PID? I get AC3 since my CBS channel is DD 5.1, the SD version is also AC3 since it is DD 2.0.

15. choco

choco Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    I'm not using power saving or standby.

The bug only occurs when switching between particular channels and CBS, and it's pretty much avoidable with the manual recording workaround, so I just deal with it. Yes, 2 years is a very long time, but what can you do if Tivo won't fix it?

I tested just now, and the problem does not occur with the SD CBS channel. It only occurs with the HD CBS channel. I didn't do the other restart the box test.

Available and Selected Audio PID is AC3 for both my SD and HD CBS channels. Not sure what that means though.

My guess is the bug is probably related to a combination of our cable broadcast and the Tivo software. The bug didn't occur in older versions of the Tivo software; it started happening after an update. It's completely reproducible, so it could be debugged if Tivo was willing, but obviously, they're not. They probably don't care much either because it's not the latest (Hydra).

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    AC3 just means it's Dolby. Please don't jump into TE4/Hydra/Mira without some research. There's no easy way to rollback.

Silly suggestion: rent one of the basic cable boxes for a month. If it also fails, you have a problem with your feed. If not, I'm lost.

Not so silly suggestion: change the audio to PCM. It won't sound as good, but it may point to something wrong with the DD decoder in your (what plays your sound).

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
  17. choco

choco Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    Yes, I'm not planning to switch to Hydra anytime soon.

Not sure what you mean by getting a basic cable box. Somehow use a cable box with Tivo instead of a cable card? Anyways, I'm not willing to spend so much effort to troubleshoot for Tivo, and I don't think this is fixable on the user end.

What's happening isn't an isolated occurrence. Searching online shows it happens to various people on various channels. Most people probably just ignore it and think it's a random glitch because it's rare. It only happens if your Tivo happens to switch between a bad channel and CBS (or whatever channel it happens to for others). It's only because I did more detailed testing that I found exactly what situations cause it.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Not so silly suggestion: change the audio to PCM. It won't sound as good, but it may point to something wrong with the DD decoder in your (what plays your sound).

19. choco

choco Member

Nov 3, 2000
    Southern CA
    Changing to PCM doesn't help. I didn't remember testing that 2 years ago, but re-reading my old post (Odd Audio Dropouts) says I did, lol.

20. jluvs2ride

jluvs2ride New Member

Oct 28, 2012
    No, I originally thought so but I made sure that feature was turned off.