Shows not transferring with ratings info & another weird bit...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by TiVo_Fanatic, Jan 28, 2012.

1. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ok, so I started transferring shows from the S2 to the S4E and one just finished, well, I noticed it seems to be off by a minute with it's starting time and doesn't seem to have grabbred the rating data. Not sure on other info as I just did a quick look, so ya, shows are supposed to transfer with that stuff right ?

Also, what's with the minute off thing on the starting time ?

It seems to have at least transfered the whole 1hr show... there was one that transferred earlier but I deleted it because it for some reason did a 53min partial.

Edit: On the note of a partial, the network connection is wired so it wasn't a signal thing.

2. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    If you want all, or almost all, of the metadata, you need to use TiVo Desktop and copy to computer and then copy from computer.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

3. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    That sucks, one begs the question of why it's not grabbed when you transfer any way.

In any event, that's gonna make things take twice as long and be a PIA... especially with limited PC disk space.

FWIW, I don't recall how TiVo Desktop really works but can you also use it to send shows to the TiVo or no ?

Edot: You said all or almost all, in regards to almost all... what might not be grabbed or was it something you just said with no meaning behind it ?

4. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    I didn't write the program and I don't have access to the source code or to the people who did write it. What I know, I've pretty much learned by trial and error.

I discovered that copying to a TiVo from another TiVo assigned a "date recorded" to the copy of the day and time when the copy was made, and apparently discarded the original record date, and that going to the listing in Now Playing on the TiVo that did the copying and hitting the "info" button brings up a lot less info.

If you look at those copies with the TiVo Desktop program's "Pick Recordings to Transfer" (they use transfer when they should say copy, must be a don't get the content providers riled up thing), I think it shows details, possibly including original record date, that the TiVo which did the copying doesn't, so I guess some of that metadata is still there, but not normally accessed by the TiVo that did the copying.

I then later discovered that using TiVo Desktop to copy from one TiVo to a computer (although they're still calling it transfer), and then using a second TiVo to copy from the computer left the show in the second TiVo's Now Playing list looking and acting pretty much as though it had originally been recorded by that machine, although I think I remember that hitting the info button doesn't bring up quite as much info as it would on the original TiVo, but I didn't take copious notes or anything.

It's all "Pull" type stuff.

You go into TiVo Desktop and choose the TiVo from which you want to copy, then select the shows and initiate the copy.

Later, you go into a TiVo's NPL and at the bottom, below the Recently Deleted folder, should be the computer running TiVo Desktop, and you open it like a folder and select shows to copy to that TiVo. You can't push shows from a TiVo to the computer with TVD, and you can't push shows from the computer to a TiVo with it, either. The target has to request from the source.

It is, in many ways, a royal pain, and has a lot of limitations and performance issues, and if I were a benevolent dictator of the entire globe I'd direct TiVo to add a lot of features and fixes before I abdicated, and someone should be along any moment to talk about how much better 3rd party solutions like pyTiVo are.

I've found that it helps if you give the TiVos their own computer. Late model P3 or early P4 or AMD equivalent is sufficient. Of course that's another XP or later license required. Maybe that would be a good way to repurpose Vista machines.

5. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I managed to free some space up to do this and am now in the process of dumping the entire S2 on to my laptop and then will take it back to the S4E. That said, even if I don't get all of the MetaData, at least I will be getting more than if I went TiVo to TiVo so it's still a win of sorts.

6. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    This is based on transfers between my Series 2s - YMMV.

On MRV transfers it loses all of the metadata except the Series Title, Episode Title, Description and channel. Using Desktop as an intermediary maintains everything except the channel (either way you lose the channel logo).

My MRV transfers keep the correct date and time that a show was recorded, but I have seen a lot of posts that say it reassigns it as unitron noted. I have no idea why but it's probably an S2-S3 thing.

Edit: I just noticed that if you use the https interface on the TiVo the date is listed by the date it was transferred. I'm guessing that some models use that date and other models use the internal date from the TiVoVideoDetails XML file.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Be aware that the latest release of the Premiere s/w has even more metadata problems. I don't know whether using the computer and TiVo desktop still retains more of the metadata or not as I can no longer even access the desktop server from the Premiere.

8. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well, as far as I'm concerned I seem to be able to get in to my laptop just fine from my Elite.

9. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    For what it's worth, my TiVo to TiVo copys before I started using TiVo Desktop were S2 DT (TCD649080) to S2 DT and then back to the original (now with a bigger hard drive) S2 DT

10. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    In regards to something I asked earlier it seems TiVo Desktop Plus can actually send to the TiVo and has some other small features so I think that might be worth the investment.

11. unitron

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Let us know if Plus can actually push, to a TiVo, shows previously copied from a TiVo to computer , and not just other videos and music from other sources.

If it'll let me do stuff from one room instead of two or three, it might be worth the money.

12. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Well, on TiVo's website it says you can push to the TiVo and list different video formats with TDPlus, just not .tivo files. It would stand to reason though that if you can push mpg's etc that you could push back a .tivo file.

13. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Has any checked to see if a Premiere running 20.2 still gets full metadata when transferring a .tivo file from the computer via TiVo Desktop?

14. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    It does not. I've mentioned this before, but you may have thought I was only speaking in relation to pyTivo. Not so. In fact, you get more of the metadata via pyTivo than TiVo Desktop. But most is still missing.

(This was with TD 2.8.2; I haven't tried 2.8.3. I'd be amazed if it's different.)

15. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    It SHOULD work, but they broke something in 2.8 and pushes of the 3 "native" file formats (.TiVo .MPG & .VOB) stopped working. 2.8.2 fixed the issue for MPGs and VOBs, but TiVo files still don't work. I haven't looked at 2.8.3 yet. I will try it this afternoon and let you know.

16. ggieseke

May 30, 2008
    Weird - that's what I'm using.

17. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    .TiVo files are unpushable because the TiVo, in push mode, rejects them. pyTivo gets around this, by running them through tivodecode as it pushes. Needless to say, this negates the only advantage of having a .TiVo file -- that it conveys metadata -- but then, that's broken in 20.2 anyway.

(Note that ggieseke and I are using "push" here to mean a specific type of transfer that originates at the computer rather than at the TiVo. I think that's what unitron meant as well.)

18. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    I just realized I was using TD 2.8, so now I gotta upgrade and start over if I want all the metadata possible.

19. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    The metadata problem is with the Premiere s/w, not TD.

I'm not sure I understand why people want to pay for TD+ when the free 3rd party s/w does as good or better job.

20. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Right now the TiVo's account information says I have software version 20.2-01-2-758

That aside, in regards to TiVo Desktop, it's usually a good idea to use current software any way.

Weird thing was then I went to check for updates TD said 2.8 was current. Then I saw 2.8.3 being talked about in here so I went to the TD page and there it was... 2.8.3.

For me it's being able to trust the company it comes from.