Shows not being scheduled for recording

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by self, Oct 18, 2008.

1. self

self New Member

Jul 10, 2002

Advertisements

Checking the To Do List tonight, I noticed that there were no items after Sunday. Since I have Heroes as the top priority, I found this suspicious.

I changed the ordering of things a bit using the Season Pass Manager; that didn't do it. I restarted it. Still no good -- but now there were more shows, including Chuck (on right before Heroes).

There was NOTHING in the History page about Heroes not being recorded. Nor anything else, for that matter, even though it should have some.

Just for clarification: this is an S3, recording only OTA.

2. norbertsf

norbertsf Member

Jun 9, 2007
    I had 3 over the air shows that were in the season pass manager and were not in the to do list (They should have been).

I tried everything also, but the only way I was able to get the scheduling working again was to erase and then re-add the season passes...

3. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    I posted in the Suggestions Not Recording thread but I want to bump this one too. Maybe someone can give us some answers.

I had a recording set for tonight and noticed it was not in the TDL. I had to set up a manual recording for that time to get the recording to set. This is in addition to a bunch of other software problems that have popped up in the past week.

4. zordude

zordude WDW Fan TCF Club

Sep 23, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    I have this same problem.

Z

5. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...

Advertisements

This has happened to us as well, ever since the move to a new state and new cable company. However, to add to our issues, it seems we are "running out of space" as when I try to set a new SP it tells me it can't record all of the eps because there is not enough space.

Now, really. I have like 100 programs in the deleted bin, as well as half the shows are marked Keep Until Space Needed...so why on earth am I getting this message? The only thing I can think of is that this unit has 20 HD hours or like 140 SD hours. We typically don't record in HD (in fact, I just recorded my first HD show the other night, and it's already watched and deleted). But, when going into the settings to make sure everything was set to record in BASIC quality, there was a note that said you can't change the quality on digital channels - which is everything we have. Could that be the problem? HD can't be the default recording quality, so is it Best?

So, sometimes the SP shows don't show up at all in the To Do list, sometimes they do, the SP won't set it to record all shows, but if I manually tell it to record it, it will.

And on top of that, it seems we only have guide date for the next 7 days or so. I am in the process of doing a manual update just in case something got screwed up in the initial setup (we just got internet last week).

Talk about :confused:

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Keep in mind that a lot of shows are taking next week off. Heroes is one of many examples.

Now, if you record a lot of shows, and none of them show up in your To Do List, then you should swap the first and second entries in your Season Pass list. That seems to resolve the issue for most.

7. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Did you set any programs to "keep until I delete?" That is the number one cause of the "out of space" message, because the TiVo reserves space for existing and future shows of that program.

The TiVo calculates space for new shows based on the assumption that all programs in Recently Deleted are cleared. It will only show you the "out of space message" if it calculates that deleting all of those programs will not produce sufficient space for the next program. And again, with rare exception, this only occurs when you have other programs in your recorded list set as "keep until delete." After the Recently Deleted items, the TiVo deletes the oldest items first to make rooms for new recordings, but it can't do that if they are marked as "keep until delete."

The TiVo saves all digital channels just as they are delivered, bit-for-bit identical to the original. The quality settings only apply to analog channels. For digital SD channels, you don't have 140 hours of storage. Depending on how much compression your cable provider uses on its digital channels, you may have between 70 and 120 SD hours and between 20 and 30 HD hours. With my provider (FiOS), I get 90-100 hours of SD with the stock drive in the TivoHD.

I upgraded my TivoHD to 1TB with the $110 Western Digital WD10EVCS, using the instructions at the bottom of this post, and I now have 144 HD hours and about 1000 SD hours (usable).

8. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    I do have quite a few things marked KUID, but with the 100 shows in the Recently Deleted PLUS all the deletable programs, you would think there would be plenty of room...but the all-digital channels must be affecting it as well.

We are looking into more storage, so thanks for the link.

ETA: Where can you get it for $110? I'm seeing it starting at $140ish.