Show start end time complaint

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Stormydog, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Stormydog

Stormydog Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Can any body tell me why the tv and cable network insist on starting/stopping their shows not according to the supplied tv guide times? A lot of networks delay starting their shows and then run them beyond the stated stop time. My wife yells at me, at Tivo, at Comast, at everybody when we watch a show and the final minute or two are cut off because the tv show end time comes due. She is so mad, she no longer wants to watch a Tivo recorded show because of missing the end. Not every show is like this, but some anticipated shows are.

I know you can extend ending times, but that is impracticle when you record back to back shows on different channels and times. You can not extend stop recording times on every show.

Is there a reason for dumb starting times like 9:03 pm and ending times of 10:05 pm when TV Guide (which Tivo uses) simply states 9-10pm? Is this an attempt to stiffle recording tv shows, wanting you to watch it live?

It seems hard to get a hold of network support and if you did, I'm sure there would be no response.

2. Riverdome

Riverdome Member

May 12, 2005
    IMO the reason is to make DVRs appear to be broken and convince customers to stop using DVRs and start watching commercials again.

3. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    This is not under control of the cable company. Sometimes, it is not even the fault of the network but is done by the local affiliate.

4. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    It also keeps you on that channel when the show is over. So if you have to watch until 10:05 to see the end, you may watch whatever is coming on next rather than switch to another channel where you will have missed the first 5 minutes.

5. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is actually why they do it. The fact that it screws up DVR owners is just a bonus.

Dan

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    BTW, this has been going on for at least a decade.. The one I noticed first doing it repeatedly was 'er'.

Still, I know to add 1 minute end pad to: anything on History, E!, Discovery, and probably a few more that I can't remember at the moment.

I have to SERIOUSLY pad: MTV (mostly for real world & RW-derived reality shows now). Usually 2 minutes pre and 2 minutes post, at the very least.

GameTrailers on Spike comes on at some random time "around" the scheduled time. I think I have a 4 minute pre-pad and a 5 minute post pad. But I am possibly going to just watch this on the web instead since it already conflicts with late night talk shows that I record.

BTW, while not DVR related, one of Turner's channels, I think WGN, always used to start shows at x:05. He stated that it was so that the channel would always have a separate listing in the guide.. fairly clever, if you ask me.

7. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    WGN wasn't one of Turner's channels. It was either TBS or TNT.

8. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    It only screws with DVR owners if the guide doesn't show the offsets - sometimes the guides properly list a show starts a few minutes earlier and later, which TiVo handles well.

It's when stations start to deliberately lie - start a show 5 minutes late, end 5 minutes late consistently that it gets really annoying.

Discovery Channel has gotten a new habit - they start a show on time (e.g., 00 or 30), and it ends on time (also on 00 or 30). They put in maybe a 10 second station ad in-between the show, and the commercials that would've gone between shows are added to the breaks. This almost always guarantees either a shopped beginning or a chopped ending - and any time skew means it's random.

9. lpwcomp

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    Either Fox or its local affiliate go about a minute over a lot. The local CBS affiliate has the annoying habit of going to the local news at 10:59.

10. appleye1

appleye1 Active Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Back From...
    Yeah, TBS started this originally. I was working for a cable company back in the late 70s and I believe they were doing it then.

11. ColdnFrosty

ColdnFrosty New Member

Jan 26, 2011
    I'm more curious why TiVo can't automatically update boxes to properly record a show that has been extended 15 min by the Pres' speech.

12. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    You just have to get used to it and pad certain shows. South Park is one that always runs over about 10 seconds and you literally miss the very last line of the show. It's amazing how consistent they are.

13. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    On the other hand, it's just another reason to get your shows via illegal means. You won't have those problems then.

14. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    They can when given the proper amount of lead time.

15. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    TBS did start shows at :05 and :35 back then, on the theory that first people would check out the network shows and then come to TBS if they couldn't find anything. By the time the show ended, the network would be into their next show and people would be more likely to stay with TBS. However, they did not do this in secret, like network and cable channels today. They announced correct start times and those were published correctly in the paper and TV Guide. I assume they'd have been correct in Tivo listings if those had been available back then.

16. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    I checked Tribune Media's Zap2It listings late in the afternoon to see if I could get the revised schedule. They didn't have an updated schedule either. I guess much of the time, these last-minute changes don't go to Tribune Media or else they don't bother making last minute changes. There also seems to be a lag time between Tribune Media puts something in the schedule online and when it shows up in Tivo (like a day or two). And there's also a lag in something showing up in your on-screen guide (unless you force the box to update).

17. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    On the other hand, some shows automatically "pad" their shows. I just noticed Breaking Bad runs for one hour and three minutes. Unlike some networks, AMC has respect for it's viewers. They realize that show in particular is only popular because people watched in reruns and DVD's. The fourth season premiere just had it's highest ratings ever. For the most part, this doesn't happen in TV. You would think other networks would learn something.

18. Emacee

Emacee Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Philadelphia...
    The Tivo website lets you look at your "to do" list but not make changes.

Zap2It lets you link their listings to your Tivo account and add recordings from a PC (but not make changes to or cancel existing recordings). You can, however, "add" a recording with additional time at the end for a show you've already scheduled and that will overwrite the originally scheduled recording. Keep in mind, if you have two recordings scheduled in the next time period, one of them will get cancelled for the "new" recording.

19. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I'm pretty sure TiVo has an overlap protection so if shows overlap by 5 minutes or less then TiVo records the higher-priority one (based on Season Pass Manager) for the entire time and clips the lower-priority one. I would think you'd be able to add padding to catch the end of certain shows so it'd clip the beginning of the next show if necessary (usually the "previously on" segment that you wouldn't miss much)

20. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Huh? That's not a new habit, and I mentioned Discovery in my reply above. They are NOT ending on time. Add 1 minute end pad to Discovery shows, and you'll get the full thing recorded.