Show padding problems...

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Meathead, Nov 21, 2006.

1. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

I am having a problem that I thought would have been solved intuitively by my HR10s software.

I have three shows that I want to record in this order in my SP list...
    1. Heroes (NBC)
    2. CSI: Miami (CBS)
    3. Studio 60 (NBC)
    For those of you that watch Heroes, you know that the show ALWAYS runs long on the allocated time slot by 1-2 minutes. As a result of missing the ending several times, I padded the end by 4 minutes.

Here is where my problem occurs. Heroes comes on & is padded at the end. Immediately following it, CSI:Miami and Studio 60 come on at the same time. When I went into my Season Pass list after Heroes ended, I only saw CSI: Miami being recorded, but Studio 60 was not being recorded. I went to the live tuners & one tuner was on CBS & recording CSI while the other was still on NBC showing (but not recording) Studio 60.

I was told that Tivo intuitively knows when there is a tuner available & seeks out to record a show, even if it starts late. This was not the case this week. Is this not a feature of Tivo? Am I destined to never again be able to record two shows after Heroes as long as I have it padded?

2. mwl001

mwl001 New Member

Dec 4, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    While I agree with you that the box should function properly in this instance, you may want to cut your losses and just start a manual recording for Studio 60 instead of a season pass.

3. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    So I was misinformed about the box being "smart" enough to automatically pick it up?

4. az_double_eagle

az_double_eagle Certified Golf Nut

Aug 13, 2006
    Glendale, AZ
    Well, sometimes you have to cut your losses and just do a manual record to get what you want.

NBC is notoriously bad about starting shows early (sometimes 2-3 minutes early), and it does mess up SP's when 2 things are on the same network and a 3rd recording is also scheduled overlapping.

For me, I've got my own upcoming problems. NBC is changing the Thursday line-up to be Earl, Office, Scrubs, 30 Rock and ER. I also record CSI (regular) on Thursday with a SP.

I've never been a huge Scrubs fan (although one of my friends swears by it), but I have been giving 30 Rock a chance (even though the SP for that has been screwed up on the HD OTA channel, but that's another story). Long story short (I know, too late), in order to get what I want, and to make sure that it will record everything (including CSI), I'm going to set up a manual recording to record to big block from 7-10 PM on NBC (with a 2 minute pad on either side), and then let the CSI SP take care of itself.

I know that what you want is to let the SP work like they are supposed to, but with NBC's padding of the start times, you will be fighting to get the start of your programs unless you give in, and do some sort of manual recording. I also realize that you are talking about Monday night vs. my example of Thursday night, but I wanted to give you my example and thoughts

What I lose out on with the manual big block from 7-10 is that the program information will only be for the first program (Earl) in the block, but for me, I'd rather have the big block and know that it records, and then use the 30-sec skip feature to skip to main markers (once in the first FF arrow) to jump back and forth between the programs, than to lose a program due to SP mishaps and NBC padding baloney.

Sometimes you just have to make due. In the grand scheme of things, it's a small thing.

Hope this helps,

5. arc6th

arc6th Fair and Balanced

Jun 26, 2002
    San Antonio, TX

Advertisements

Don't pad Heroes. There's no conflict if there's no padding. Perhaps you'll have to watch Heroes first so you don't see the end of Heroes at the beginning of the Studio 60 recording.

I record Heroes & Studio 60, as well. With the possible exception of credits, I have never seen one second of Heroes at the beginning of Studio 60. I wonder if your local affiliate does something to make Heroes run late?

6. dmward81

dmward81 New Member

Aug 26, 2005
    NoVA
    I dunno whether it's the local affiliate but I have had the same infuriating problem with Heroes, especially since there's usually some development in the very last shot that points the way to the next episode. Although I also record Studio 60 and see can what happened, now I have Heores split over two recordings, which is a PITA for saving or dumping to DVD. So I'm padding now, too.

7. Meathead

Meathead LSU Tiger!

Feb 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    I think my issue is not so much with the show being split as much as it is with the Tivo not being smart enough to know that there is an available tuner that it could be recording on (even if it does miss the first few minutes).

It sounds like my best option is to create a manual workaround. The thing I hate about that is manual recordings do not take into account changing time slots. What if they decide to have a supersized heroes? What if Studio 60 gets moved for Friday Night Lights again?

I suppose I will live with a padding on Heroes and a manual record for the hour following it (hoping that it stays as Studio 60).

8. Wisegoat

Wisegoat Come to the DarkSide

May 22, 2004
    Newport...
    I don't seem to have a padding problem. Here is my situation:

Heroes goes from 9:00 to 10:01. (Tuner 1)
    Studio 60 goes from 10:01 to 11:00 (Tuner 1)
    CSI: Miami goes from 10:00 to 11:00 (Tuner 2)

Heroes has only gone over that time once (Week 2 I think) and I was able to watch the begining of Studio 60 to see the missing 30 seconds. The only problem that should arise is if they start late. It won't be a problem, because you can catch the missing time from the begining of Studio 60. Since you are recording NBC from 9pm to 11pm, you are still getting everything. The worst case scenario is that you have to watch the begining of Studio 60 to see the end of Heroes.

9. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Or to put it in another way. If Heroes doesn't adhere to their scheduled time, just pad Studio 60 by a few minutes (don't pad Heroes) and then make sure you watch Heroes first.

I do that on Sunday night with CBS football running over that messes up Cold Case and Without a Trace. WaT is padded by 30 minutes. So I watch Cold Case and then pick up the rest of it on the WaT recording.

10. TyroneShoes

TyroneShoes HD evangelist

Sep 6, 2004
    Tivo is just not programmed to start a recording late if a tuner is available. If a tuner is not available at the top of the program, it considers it a conflict and SP priority takes precedence, meaning a show below the two recording in the SP list will not record. If you check your history page, that is probably the reason listed for skipping the recording.

If you were recording both ABC and CBS at 10 Pm, then you would have a classic overun conflict with Heroes. That might take a workaround. Since you are recording NBC and CBS at 10 PM, the best plan is to just not pad Heroes. That will give you all of the 3 shows of interest, and will also accomodate schedule changes.

Affiliates (and especially O&O stations) are typically not allowed to slide network prime programming even a little bit. They are definitely not allowed to insert more local commercials into prime. A station in Atlanta very likely takes the EST/EDT feed live, which would give no technical option to slide the programming.

The cost of a local HD delay is prohibitive for that purpose. Typically only a small portion of the MST/MDT stations even have one, and they are about the only stations with a regular need for live delay, other than stations that carry a major sports team and regularly preempt prime time. The big four stations typically don't carry big non-network games in prime, so an Atlanta NBC affiliate probably has no technical way to do a live net delay in prime. Record/playback in HD for a later time slot, maybe, but not a simultaneous record/playback delay of just a minute or two. That takes a special HD delay server or specialized software on a regular HD server. both hard to justify in Atlanta local TV in 2006.

The late start (late end for Heroes) comes from the network. They typically place more commercials in a hit show like Heroes at the expense of cheaper avails in a non-hit like Studio 60, which pushes the start time back a minute or so. The EPG might reflect all of part of it. If they sell an extra minute at the last second, Heroes might go to 10:02, but Tivo will still assume it ends at 10:01. But even 10:01 will trigger a conflict with two 10 PM programs. If they go seamless into Studio 60 (no break or only a short promo between the shows) that can be problematic for PVR schedules.

11. tsc_bailey1

tsc_bailey1 New Member

Dec 6, 2006
    For the last 2 weeks, my TiVo has not recorded Studio 60 even though I have a season pass. The error message said that "there was no video signal on the channel". This is very interesting because my family and I watched it live while TiVo was supposedly recording it. The red recording light was on. We do not have the tuner switchy thing where we can get two channels at once, so the issue is more fundamental than trying to record on one channel while watching another. By the way, the television was not on and TiVo was not recording anything before Studio 60 - so there were no conflicts keeping it from recording.

We had no problem when Studio 60 started at 9:00. The last two weeks the show has started at 9:01 and we have gotton no recording either time. I called TiVo yesterday; the tech couldn't figure out why and so sent the problem up the chain of command...