Show not recorded due to internal error

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by crowfan, Feb 15, 2007.

1. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY

Advertisements

Series 3 with CCs. I searched but there were no useful results.

Last night I had a number of recordings scheduled. One was American Idol, and another was Medium. Last week, AI ran over and we didn't see the end, so this week I extended the recording time by 2 minutes. I got a message that it was going to cancel or clip Medium. Fine, I don't care, so I said OK.

Then I noticed that Medium was not recording. So I checked the recording history, and it said this:

"This program was not recorded because of an internal error. If you continue to encounter this problem, try restarting the TiVo Digital Media Recorder."

Now I don't care about Medium, but I do *not* want this to happen to a show I care about. I'll restart the DVR, but why did this happen?

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    Since it is a computer, things happen. Haven't you ever had to reboot you computer?

3. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    Sure. I've just never seen this with a TiVo and I was wondering if it was a sign of something worse.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I have had this happen to my Sony SAT-T60 once so far. My DSR6000 and HR10 have not done it. So it does happen, but is rare. If it does it often, then you can worry.

5. rgr

rgr Member

Feb 21, 2003

Advertisements

I've had this happen just twice, and both were LOST episodes (last week and this week).

Could it be something at the start of a particular show that confuses the TiVo so it won't record?

6. C_A_Jones

C_A_Jones Member

Jan 5, 2001
    Las Vegas,...
    Last night I started watching a program that was scheduled to run from midnight to 0100 hours. After watiching about 10 minutes of the program, I decided to record the program so I could attend to a sick member of the family. After going through the record screens, the red record light came on.

Today when I went to watch the program, I discovered it really hadn't been recorded. The history gave the reason as: "This program was not recorded because of an internal error."

Why would the "record" indicator light even come on if there was some type of internal error? Sure hope this isn't a new bug that will repeat itself!

7. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    The internal error probably occurred after the record light was turned on.

8. C_A_Jones

C_A_Jones Member

Jan 5, 2001
    Las Vegas,...
    Anybody know if this type of an error is automatically reported when the the unit connects for data exchange? TiVo seems to have the ability to see how units are being used... minute by minute. Seems like an automatic report should be part of a quality control program.

9. That Don Guy

That Don Guy Now with more GB

Mar 13, 2003
    Benicia, CA
    Pardon me for resurrecting the thread after six months, but I just got one of these as well.

Could it have something to do with the fact that the show to be recorded would have been clipped at both ends?
    This was being done on an S3, with shows set to record at the following times (listed in Season Pass priority order):
    8:58 - 9:32 PM, Channel 702
    9:28 - 10:02 PM, Channel 702
    9:59 PM - 2:02 AM, Channel 54
    9:30 - 10:00 PM, Channel 161
    The last one was the one not to record because of "internal error." (It would have been clipped by 2 minutes by the first show, and by 1 minute by the third one.)

-- Don