Shouldn't a TV remote light up?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by HarleyRandom, Nov 1, 2020.

1. HarleyRandom

HarleyRandom Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2015

Advertisements

Otherwise how can you tell if the battery is dead?

I wanted to see what had transferred to my Bolt, and for the first time, the TV wouldn't come on. I checked everything that was plugged in and it was fine. I mentioned my power going out on another thread, but at some point I also moved around what was plugged in so I could plug in a new antenna when the time comes.

Then I realized there was no light on the remote so I changed the batteries. Twice. I knew the third set of batteries were working because they were in an electric razor i had just used. Nothing happened.

So I checked what was plugged in again. I don't know what you call it, but it has three places to plug something into it and plugs into the surge protector. That's what was loose. The remote worked fine after that. But how will I know when it's the remote that's not working?

My Roamio, on the other hand, has an on-off BUTTON.

2. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    To check the voltage of a cell, connect the black probe to the "COM" port of your multimeter, and the red to port labelled "V". Set the range to 2V and touch the red probe to the cell's cathode and touch the black to the anode. (The cathode is the end of the battery with a dearth of electrons.)

You should expect to see about 1,200 millivolts or better for a good battery.

3. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I have a multimeter?

4. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    Fluke.

5. ashipkowski

ashipkowski Member

Oct 7, 2008

Advertisements

Remotes generally don't have lights, which is why it's a feature to have a backlit remote. Easy test for an IR remote: grab your cell phone camera (even smart phone), open up the camera app, hold the remote's transmitter so that you can see it on the screen and push a button. The IR filtering on most phones doesn't block remotes, and so you'll see the IR LED blink.

tim1724 and jcondon like this.
  6. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    My Bolt didn't cost that much. I did buy Lifetime service in addition to that but that's cheaper than paying each month. I hope.

7. HarleyRandom

Sep 17, 2015
    I have a cell phone camera?

mdavej likes this.