Should TiVo Be Building a TV?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Jun 25, 2011.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I was just reading this article about Apple possibly building a TV.

It got me thinking about TiVo. Is this how they should handle streaming? Build the TV instead of a Roku type streaming device? And/or build the blu-ray players as the streaming device?

Vizio has become a major TV player with no manufacturing facilities and almost no employees seems like TiVo should be able to do the same thing.

What do other people think? Is this away for TiVo to stay in the game?

Thanks,

2. SullyND

SullyND W: 33-9 (Camping World Bowl) TCF Club

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    Aren't they working on one with Best Buy? (Of course, they're working on TiVo time).

3. TheWGP

TheWGP Hmmm...

Oct 26, 2007
    LOL my first thought was that if Tivo made a TV, the power on delay would ruin any possible WAF... to say nothing about whether the menus work or not! ;)

Seriously, I AM interested to see if some sort of mashup ever happens like this - it does make SOME sense. Downside to me is that the standalone boxes are easily (well, relatively easily) upgradeable, whereas if you drop some serious cash on a nice big flat screen with Tivo inside, you're going to keep that sucker for awhile, regardless of what comes out. Sure, software could be updated, but once a new model of Tivo is out... the TV would be left in the lurch. Not good for something whose lifespan is expected to be awhile!

It would also HAVE to come with more than a cheap 90-day warranty for me to even CONSIDER it.

4. SpiritualPoet

SpiritualPoet Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Texas
    If TiVo built a T.V. it would never be able to be turned off. It might be able to be put in standby. LOL

5. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I didn't actually mean that TiVo should build a DVR inside of a TV just the streaming part. The TV would be a stand alone normal TV with TiVo software used for the operating system to provide the basic streaming features most new TVs are coming with and could also be used to stream content from a TiVo DVR/PC/NAS/etc and no I do not believe it could have a monthly subscription and would not be providing TiVo guide data unless used with a TiVo DVR.

This sounds like what Apple maybe doing and is what Google is trying to do by getting their Google TV software in TVs.

Thanks,

6. HomieG

HomieG Nowhere Man...

Feb 17, 2003
    Somewhere...
    While I don't own one, it looks to me like TiVo needs to be fixin' the bugs in their Premiere's...

7. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Modern TVs are not actually turned off. They are in stand by when you "turn them off". If you want to see the difference pull the plug vs just "turning it off".

Thanks,

8. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
  9. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Except I am not sure why TiVo should limit it to a Best Buy house brand. I would think they would be better off having a TiVo branded line of TVs (and/or blu-ray players) that could be sold by anyone.

The Vizio brand has been built to what it is by a dozen people. I know TiVo wants to be a software company but I frankly don't see many brand name manufactures buying their software from them.

10. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    They should finish building the Premiere.

Once the Premiere is finished, then build the next thing.

(and no, I don't think they should build a TV. Let someone else do that, and license them the software to run on the TV)

11. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I don't think it's a good idea. TV's have a pretty long life. Set top boxes, tend to have a much shorter life.

12. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    So they could build it the same way every other tv has been made for the last 30 years. That'll save some engineering time.

13. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Indeed. Especially with the way TiVo has shown their "support" and "development" for anything but their latest box.

And even THAT is half-baked!!!!

No thanks, I prefer these two pieces to be modular, so I can replace only the TiVo when a better box, with a complete HD UI, and an OS that actually evolves elegantly, comes along.

14. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    What 2 pieces are you taking about? Basically every new TV and blu-ray player except low end entry stuff is a TV + Roku box now. I do not think building a DVR into a TV makes sense for anyone including TiVo. However with 4 tuner TiVo DVRs coming soon more people are going to want to stream from a TiVo DVR to a TV, why not build the function into a TV or blu-ray player instead of having to use a "Roku" type box?

Panasonic is looking at 1.4 GHz dual core processors for their future TVs and blu-ray players. Somehow I can't believe a TV with that much horse power isn't going to be able to stream pretty much anything available for the life of the set.

Thanks,

15. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    The two pieces this thread is discussing: the TiVo, and the display.

Knowing what I know about how TiVo innovates and develops these days? I would not commit to a set that had a built-in TiVo. I'm sure that whatever external set top box I had, right away or a year later, would be better.

16. aadam101

aadam101 Tell me a joke

Jul 14, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Huh? There is no TV with a built in Roku that I am aware of. TV manufacturers have been adding in Netflix and other "on demand" type services but that is not a Roku.

Tivo doing this would still require a subscription. I wouldn't want that tied into my TV.

17. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I think you need to go look at new TVs, Samsung has an app store most have more streaming options built in than a Premiere. Not much different with Sony. LG, Panasonic, or Vizio. Panasonic is moving to put a 1.4 GHz dual core processor into their TVs and blu-ray players. I can assure you they aren't doing it to power the menus of the past. Google TV has been and is continuing to try to get their software to be the software powering TVs and blu-ray plays and they just bought a DVR software company. Apple is looking at building an Apple branded TV.

Bottom line is TV manufactures are now moving to have their TVs and blu-ray players be "the connect device" in peoples living rooms and several other big players are looking to doing the same thing (Google, Apple, and maybe Microsoft).

My question is why shouldn't TiVo be doing the same thing? It seems to be the logical next step and would give them access to more potential customers for their DVR business if they did it right.

Thanks,

18. 84lion

84lion Member

Jan 22, 2009
    I have never been a fan of "all-in-one" devices for a couple reasons. One, if one of the component functions fails, the entire unit is out of commission. For example, with separate units, if the Tivo fails the TV can still be watched (OTA, cable, DVD, etc.), conversely if the TV fails I can still hook up a "spare" TV to the Tivo to get by. Given the throwaway nature of most TVs today, do you really want to have a "TVivo" that might not be worthwhile to fix if it fails, plus require a lot of work to get to the repair shop (assuming you can find one that would touch it)? Two, most manufacturers aren't good at everything. Some can make great TVs but make lousy DVD players, or audio components, or whatnot. Why not instead buy separate components that provide the price point and/or solution that you want, as well as reliability?
    The only advantages I can see to an "all-in-one" solution are eliminating cables and the convenience of having all functions in one remote, which could easily be rectified with an "all-in-one" remote solution. That makes more sense to me. The cables can be a pain but generally you do the hookup once in a blue moon and you're done. Not that onerous.
    Maybe another way to look at it is, would you rent a "complete solution" (including the display) from your cable or satellite provider?

19. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I tend to agree that "all in one devices" are not my first choice although many people did seem to like TiVo's with DVD player/recorders built in.

However that was not what I asked about or suggested. I asked if TiVo should be building TVs and/or blu-ray players that would have the added ability (over non-TiVo TVs or blu-ray players) to stream from a TiVo DVR.

Thanks,

20. SullyND

Dec 30, 2004
    Chicago Burbs
    They'd be better off opening up their streaming* functionality to other manufacturers like Netflix has. Could you imagine if you had to buy a Netflix TV to watch instantly? A TiVo branded TV makes as much sense (if not less) than a Bose branded one. Vizio broke into the market by being a low cost option. A TiVo brand TV would not be a low cost option and would have to compete with costlier brands which have an established reputation. (And a product cycle which is far, far, quicker than TiVos has been) What TiVo is doing with Best Buy, assuming it ever happens, but especially if they extend it to other brands, is the way to go. A Samsung TV for the bedroom which can act as an extender for my multi-tuner TiVo Premiere Elite? Brilliant. Especially if they have MOCA built in.

*Assuming we do get it eventually