Should there be two separate forums: one for the THD and the other for the S3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by camtui, Aug 18, 2007.

Should there be two separate forums: one for the THD and the other for the S3

1. Yes, they should be separated

115 vote(s)
    42.4%
  2. No, they're fine together

156 vote(s)
    57.6%
  1. camtui

camtui New Member

May 21, 2007

Advertisements

I've been visiting this forum for the past 4 months. I currently own a Series 3 tivo and am loving it! I enjoy visiting this forum to learn more about my S3. However, I've noticed that there has been a growing number of Tivo HD threads started. How many of you think that there should be a separate forum started for Tivo HD users?

2. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest
    It ain't gonna happen, I tried already

3. knownzero

knownzero Seeker

Feb 26, 2001
    Columbus OH
    It's not realistic. We've never had forums for different versions of the Tivo's in the past except for the S3 and by lumping the Tivo HD in with the S3 it makes sense. It's a little cluttered but it works fine. Sure I'd like to see it but unless there's a critical mass of users with Tivo HD posts, it'll probably stay this way.

4. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    Absolutely not.

Other than a few hardware differences, and a different version of the software (which will change when both the THD and S3 get 8.4 or 8.5 at the next software update), they are really the same box. No real difference and certainly not enough to warrant a whole different forum to check.

5. TiVotion

TiVotion Early Adoptersaurus

Dec 6, 2002
    Tampa, FL

Advertisements

No. If anything, I'd maybe consider renaming the forum "TiVo High Definition Model DVRs" or "TiVo Series 3 and TiVo HD DVRs" or something similar, but either way I'm not bothered by it.

6. Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    What he said.

7. Turtleboy

Turtleboy Well-Known Member TCF Club

Mar 24, 2001
    Ft. Lauderdale
    No.

But maybe the name of this area should be changed slightly.

8. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    Nope. One area is fine. The two units are practically the same. Heck, I'd even be OK if the DirecTV HDTiVo got lumped back in here. One forum for the SD models and one for the HD models is plenty.

9. snathanb

snathanb New Member

Sep 13, 2006
    Interesting... the replies all say no, but the voting is very close. For the record, I voted YES.

I really don't care to see the threads about those struggling with the cheap *ss box.

Just like I don't like coach customers coming into first class to use our lavatory. Stay in the back of the plane where you belong... :)

Hey... that gives me another idea... lol.

If you didn't see the smiley and the lol... IT WAS A JOKE!!!

If anything... I'd like to see a group for those of us who don't use cable cards... since a very large number of threads seem to be people griping about those.

10. pkscout

pkscout Well-Known Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Honolulu, HI
    None of the yes people could articulate any reason they said yes.

11. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    [snark] I'd say make them separate forums so I don't have to listen to all the bitching about the TivoHD [/snark]

but in all seriousness, they're more alike then they are different, the issues they will have in the future will tend to be in the same family.

Separating S2 and S3 families, that makes a ton of sense with the differences in architecture and usage, things like native vs hybrid mode apply to both the S3 and the TivoHD, but mean nothing to the S2 family.

Problems getting a cableCARD install set with your cableco will be the same for both, as will the general setup, care, and feeding of the units.

Diane

12. captain_video

captain_video Member

Feb 28, 2002
    I wish they'd get rid of the poll option when starting a new thread. It seems every other newbie wants to start a new poll over trite subjects. The S3 Tivo and the Tivo HD are both considered series 3 Tivos so they should be discussed in the same forum. What's next, a poll to see who wants to divide up the forums into separate brands of Tivos? :rolleyes:

13. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    I agree. Once the software versions are aligned it will be a similar situation as the Series 2 dual tuner vs S2 single tuner models.

14. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    It was, and when the S3 came out people complained about being lumped with the DirecTV crowd.

Seems like you can't win...

15. gespears

gespears Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Phoenix
    Yep because even though they are the same in many ways, they are different enough to have a completely different set of issues that don't really have anything to do with each other. Therefore a fix on S3 could be misleading on the HD. They are different chip sets, different hardware etc. Plus, I don't want to mingle with those S3 snobs!!! :) :D :)

Gary

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Having two forums is dumb. Why don't we have 40 forums for each Series2 model? (Because that would be dumb too.)

17. Dr_Diablo

Dr_Diablo Dr_Diablo

Nov 23, 2003
    Midwest

I fail to see why someone that has knowledge of the Series 3 Tivo is considered a snob,

On the other hand anyone that is new to their Tivo experience dosn't realize there are differences btween the two Tivo's, therefor a forum for their new Tivo HD would make matters less confusing...

18. ciper

ciper Active Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Is it just me or does high post counts seem to correlate with voting no?

19. camtui

camtui New Member

May 21, 2007
    I'm sorry for being like "every other newbie" and just trying to start a thread on what I thought would be an interesting discussion. If you don't like the thread, then don't waste your time posting in it. It's members like you that make me feel uninvited into new forums. I'm a tivo user like most other members here, and thought this forum was inviting to newbies asking and learning more about tivo. This was a simple poll which brought up some discussion, nothing more.

20. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    Not just no - HELL NO. They're both in the Series3 family. And they have more similarities than differences. Once the initial issues with the TiVo HD are resolved (macroblocking) most of the specific threads will die off.

It would make no sense to have two forums - no more than having a special forum for the S2DT because it is different from the older S2 boxes. Hell, even within the S2 there where three notable redesigns - 1xx, 2xx, and 5xx.