Should one's first Tivo experience be a Premiere?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by unitron, May 15, 2011.

1. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Don't have anything newer than S2 DT myself (except for bad S3 board, but that's a whole other story) and don't see that changing anytime soon, but from some of what I've read about the current TiVo offering, is it the best starting place for a TiVo neophyte?

Could the problems discourage them before they've stayed with it long enough to "get it" as to what Tivo-ship is about?

2. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I don't see the need for HD, unless the TV screen is larger than 32". I don't see the need for a Premiere unless you are streaming lots of 1080P content or transferring lots of HD shows for archiving.

3. grafton

grafton New Member

Nov 28, 2010
    having watched HD and SD content on a 32", & 26" tv and a 19" monitor HD content is the way to go. It's sharper and better represents the colors, plus you switch back and forth you can really tell the difference.

However I will say 1080P isn't necessary if you have a smaller (~32ish ) and are sitting farther than 6 feet away from your TV

If the HD menu's are turned off on day 1 the premier is a good experience, I'm very happy with mine after switching from a series 2 DT

4. Wislander

Wislander New Member

Dec 3, 2008
    Monticello, IL
    Having a Premiere may be overkill for some people, but in 2 or 3 years when you upgrade your TV or your provider starts moving all of your channels over to digital HD and start to phase out their support of the non-hd channels you will not be sorry that you have a system that is already compatible.

I have used mine with non-HD menus and HD menus and there is a little bit of a learning curve, but once you get used to the HD menus, there is no going back.

5. brshoemak

brshoemak Member

Nov 27, 2010
    Personally, I would say the Premiere is a good starting point BUT I would suggest new users start with non-HD menus. I went from a S2DT to a Premiere, tried the HD menus and it was just too slow for me after having used SD menus for so long.

I would say start the users out with a Premiere and the non-HD menus so they get comfortable with an easy-to-use, smooth and fast experience. Once they are comfortable with the Tivo experience, they can try the HD menus to see if they like the extra multimedia experience.

If my first foray in the Tivo world was with a Tivo Premiere with the HD menus as my only option I would have probably returned it. Even with my previous Tivo experience, if I only had the option for HD menus I would have gone back to my S2DT that required a Comcast DTA and IR blaster.

That being said, I would take a Premiere with SD menus over any other piece of Tivo equipment.

6. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    I tried and I tried, but couldn't get used to them. Inconsistent, inelegant, and slow, I actually found it quite depressing.

SD menus now, they're fast and just fine. Maybe when TiVo figures out how to deliver properly, and the HD UI is COMPLETED and faster, I'll revisit it. Until then, no thanks. Too much pain for not enough gain.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    Yes. It's at least as good if not better than any other Tivo model produced. Buying anything less than a Premiere at this time would be foolish.

However, the box should default to SDUI and label the HDUI as experimental, beta, or incomplete. *

(* There ought to be a key switch, secured behind a glass panel that must be broken to access, which opens a box, sounding a loud klaxon, while the user is required to read and acknowledge a disclaimer, before HDUI can be enabled. Then there should be a redundant "are you sure?" prompt, which requires another key switch, glass panel, and a second even louder klaxon siren before it's really enabled. Then, and only then, would an unsuspecting user be protected from HDUI.)

8. Fofer

Fofer Bo55man69

Oct 29, 2000
    Agreed with the above.

Especially if the user has an iPad. The iPad app for Premiere was the #1 reason I upgraded from my overpriced-because-I-bought-it-too-soon Series 3. I recently sold that one on eBay (with lifetime service and upgraded hard drive) which reimbursed me for the Premiere's costs.