Should I watch Supernatural - NO spoilers please

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by billypritchard, Jan 29, 2010.

1. billypritchard

billypritchard Embiggener

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO

Advertisements

Hey all. Are there Supernatural fans here? I've never seen the show, but am considering giving it a try on DVD. It's a genre I typically watch (buffy, angel, etc...), and I like that it is now in it's 5th season, so lots to watch.

Pros/Cons? Are there hot chicks? Is the mythology good/consistent?

Thanks!

2. cheesesteak

cheesesteak Meh. TCF Club

Jul 24, 2003
    15 mins...
    Watch it. It's one of the best shows that nobody watches.

3. ibergu

ibergu Member

May 8, 2004
    Definitely. My wife and I have been watching it from the start and it's one of our favorite shows.

There's a good mix of scary and yucks and they sprinkle in some hot chicks here and there (if that's your thing). I thought the first couple of seasons were better than the last couple, but it's still good TV. While each episode can stand on its own, they've tried to keep a running storyline from the beginning that keeps your interest.

4. Magnolia88

Magnolia88 She likes cheese.

Jun 30, 2005
    Atlanta, GA
    I haven't been watching it for awhile, but I really enjoyed the first couple of seasons. My Tivo just got too full.

If you liked Buffy and Angel, you will probably like it. It's not as good as those shows imho, but it's a lot of fun, very entertaining. And even though it centers around two hot guys, they do meet a lot of hot chicks along the way. Although some of them turn out to be demons. :p

Plus, it's got a cool car and some good classic rock tunes, so that's fun too.

5. Supfreak26

Supfreak26 Go Cowboys!

Dec 12, 2003
    McKinney, TX

Advertisements

I used to watch this show but lost track of it due to conflicts. I bought the first 3 seasons on DVD and plan on catching up when we have time. My wife and I love the show.

It's a nice mix of scary, drama, and comedy. Most eps have small stories that are wrapped up in the end but there is a continuing storyline that advances at a nice rate.

The first couple of seasons have some genuinely creepy and scary moments. Turn the lights out for this show for the full effect. :)

Highly recommended. :up:

6. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Yes.

7. Rob Helmerichs

Rob Helmerichs I am Groot! TCF Club

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    One thing to bear in mind is that it is a five-year story; that is not at all apparent while watching the first year or two, but eventually it becomes clear that they had a pretty good sense of where they were going all along. The downside to that, such that it is, is that you aren't as clear the first couple seasons as to what you need to be paying attention to, because there's a lot of stuff that just seems to be tossed in there, but ends up being important.

On the other hand, they do a better-than-average job of catching you up as they go on what may have slipped past you.

8. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Well, now that you told me, I can keep my eye out!

Is the show ending this year then?

9. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Yes you should watch. I wish I had the DVD's i've seen all the episodes, but would love to rewatch them again.

10. bnbhoha

bnbhoha Member

Nov 2, 2002
    I look forward to it each week; this show has awesome writers. Hope the show continues for a few more seasons.

11. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    The story they've been telling is ending and the creators have said they have no plans to stick around, but the actors are still under contract and the show is a big hit (by CW standards), so you can be pretty safe in assuming it will be back.

12. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    I don't know if that's necessarily true anymore. From what I've heard, they've been getting a bit more wishy-washy about that as the storyline gets closer to wrapping up.

13. timckelley

timckelley run of the mill TCFer

Oct 15, 2002
    Brushy...
    It's my wife's favorite show, and she watches a lot of shows. That being said, I think she said she thinks the current season is not as good as earlier seasons.

14. whitson77

whitson77 Active Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Excellent show. I only started watching it because a friend from HS is on the show, but I really think it is consistantly very good. It isn't a stop down, I have to watch it every night. But it doesn't disappoint me. One of the best written shows on TV.

15. Rob Helmerichs

Oct 17, 2000
    Minneapolis
    People say that, but when I read what they're quoting, it's hard to tell if that's true, or if they're just getting cagey as we head into the final stretch, not wanting to give anything away. It can be read either way.

16. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Thanks all. If they have the first disc at the video store, might be trying two eps tonight!

17. billypritchard

May 7, 2001
    St. Louis, MO
    Two video stores, no luck. Might purchase the first season for 20 bucks from Amazon.

18. ovr8ted

ovr8ted New Member

Feb 27, 2005
    You will not be disappointed. Unless of course, you don't like it:D

19. clavius

clavius New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    Yes, do watch it. I concur with all the positive things others have already said.

The early episodes make it seem like it's just going to be a monster of the week show. The mythology starts slowly becoming apparent about a third of the way into the first season, and keeps gradually developing from then on. Each season takes it to another level. So even if you aren't addicted after watching the first few episodes, stick with it through at least half of the first season to appreciate the show's true flavor.

20. Sirius Black

Sirius Black Grey Warden Reject

Dec 26, 2001
    A City by...
    TNT started airing the show a few weeks ago, presumably in episode order. No idea if that is actually the case. Like with Charmed, they could skip entire story lines completely for reasons only TNT understands.