Should I wait for Charter?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by cptlapcat, Nov 24, 2011.

1. cptlapcat

cptlapcat Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pasadena, Ca
    I currently have a Tivo HD paying $12.95 and would love to convert my second Charter DVR to a Tivo Elite. I can buy the Elite for $899 with lifetime and Tivo will convert the HD to lifetime for $99.

My dilemma is that in reading the current Tivo earnings report, Tom Rogers stated "we expect Charter, the fourth largest U.S. cable company, to launch Tivo very soon".

Should I buy the Tivo Elite now and be done with the monthly fees for ever or wait for Charter? If I wait for Charter I can give my HD to my daughter, get rid of the TA, get Charter VOD and Charter support but will probably have to pay unlimited and unknown monthly fees.

I suspect that once Tivo starts rolling out to the cable companies that will be a question for a lot of folks.

What am I missing and what would you do?

2. pops_porter

pops_porter Member

Sep 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    Good question, and I don't know the right answer. I would typically say pay to get the lifetime and not have any bills,but that's a big upfront expense.

www.charter.com/tivo is a live website now, but it doens't explain much.

Over at avsforum.com, in the HDTV Programming Section, Charter thread, the Charter employees interact and answer questions. There have been a few questions about Tivo lately. Answers include that price isn't determined, but they expect it'd be similar to existing DVRs, about $20 a month and that the only timing information is they want it rolled out to all markets by the end of 2012. Hope this helps!

When it comes time to replace one of my Tivos I'll give the Charter box a good look and may go with it to get rid of the TA and have access to on demand,.

3. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    It boils down to whether you want to rent or own.

I prefer to own my Tivo with a lifetime. That way down the road I can sell it, thus offsetting some of the upgrade cost. And because it has a lifetime, it's worth more.

4. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Basically when you choose Charter you are buying maintenance and upkeep. If the unit is faulty, it's a no hassle fix/replacement. When the unit becomes obsolete, you can exchange it. Sounds attractive to me if the features and the storage capacity is comparable to a purchase unit.

With a self-owned unit, you're up against a lot of finger-pointing when something goes wrong. TiVo blames Charter, and Charter blames TiVo. If you're hesitant to pop the TiVo case to replace a failed power supply or HDD, then Charter rental may be attractive.

Obviously you need to get what suits you.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    And, no matter what you do, everyone involved, to a greater or lesser extent, will be doing what they can to keep you from being able to rescue recordings on a problem machine.

6. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Considering this is difficult to do, if the issue is a failed hard drive. Maybe one day Tivo will support an input for a backup drive, like they do for computers. Hey......I may be on to something!

7. magnus

magnus Tivo User

Nov 12, 2004
    Texas
    Or maybe they will support a flashing the system and not putting it solely on the harddrive. I think Directv has a way to restore a drive to operating condition when you put in a new one. I wonder why Tivo can't do that.

8. cptlapcat

cptlapcat Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pasadena, Ca
    I think I have made up my mind (unless someone can change it). It looks like the roll-out of the Tivo at Virgin Media in the UK six months ago has been extremely successful (220,000 subs with 40% of those new Virgin Media customers). I should mention that when the Tivo was first released there was a lot of grumbling on the Virgin Media forums (sounds like the Tivo Community Forums).

If the Charter Tivo is similar to the Virgin Media Tivo, I should get a dvr that at least records three shows while watching a fourth. The cost seems to be in line with what I am paying right now.

So the answer to "my" question is that I am going wait for the Charter Tivo (go ahead twist my arm because I would love the elite right now).

My only hope is that when Mr Rogers says I will get it in the "near future" he is not talking about the next decade.

9. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Charter is rolling out the same TiVos that RCN is rolling out. You could also look at their pricing and figure about what Charter will charge and offer.

10. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    How much of that grumbling was lifetimed Series 1 UK owners who found out that lifetime means "unless we decide to discontinue the service"?

11. cptlapcat

cptlapcat Member

Oct 4, 2007
    Pasadena, Ca
    Thanks Rainwater. I learn something every day on this forum.:)