Should I use my $600 credit to upgrade to the Premiere XL from a Series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by keyzone72, Jul 13, 2011.

1. keyzone72

keyzone72 Member

Oct 15, 2007
    El Paso, TX

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I currently have three Tivo Series 3 DVRs. Each have lifetime subscriptions, an internal 1TB HD and an extermal eSATA 1TB HD. They have all been working fine for me when I used them with Charter cable. I recently moved to a new place, I no longer have cable and am now using over-the-air.

I often like to transfer video files from my PC to the Tivo's, but the transfer time with the Series 3 can be vey slow. In addition, I invested heavily in multilple Tivo's with 2TB each because I wanted more space for shows. With no ability to stream from one Series 3 to another Series 3, I am considering the current Premiere XL.

I like that the new Premieres allow you to stream to each other, transfer files faster, in addition to other features (like HULU, ipad app, support for NETGEAR Ready NAS.). I am in a unique position to make use of a $600 credit at Fry's Electronics for anything in the store. I was thinking about picking up two Premiere XL's with this credit.

Unfortuntely, many forums and product reviews still indicate that using the HD menus still result in sluggish performance. And to get "OK" performance, you have to switch back to the classic SD menus. Many posts and reviews I've read have also reported random freezing and reboots. I am curious to know if the Tivo Premieres (as of mid-July 2011) are running in a stable manner as long as you use the SD menus.

That being said, what is your opinion in using this $600 credit on 2 new Tivo Premiere XL's? I don't need so many Tivo's and would like to minimize my setup down to 2 units and might even consider selling all three of my Series 3 and use the money to buy lifetime subscriptions on the Premieres.

Please let me know if I'm asking for trouble in using this $600 credit for 2 Premiere XL's. I love my Series 3 units, but I feel like I'm missing out on many of the cool new features only available in the Premiere line.

Thanks everyone.

2. Joe3

Joe3 Active Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Boston MA
    It won't cost you $600 to wait for them to get their act together or wait for a new unit that actually works as advertised. Unless there is not a enough frustration and disappointment in your life then go for it.

3. MrJedi

MrJedi Member

Apr 13, 2011
    I can't speak about a comparison as I have only owned a Premier. The HDUI is slower than the SDUI, but I still use it as I visually like it more. I have owned mine for about 6 months and I have only had one or two lockups. My only basis for comparison to a TiVo is an SA-8300 and a Sony DHG-HD250. They all have their pros and cons, with the TiVo having the most pros.

Now, in regards to your credit. Unless you are going for the XL for the THX certification, the up-charge for the extra storage isn't worth it. For about $100 less than the cost of an XL you can can buy a Premiere and a 2TB drive and have double the storage of the XL. Now, this assumes you are willing to open your Tivo, willing to remove the hard drive, hook it up to a computer, hook up another hard drive to the same computer, and follow a series of prompts via a boot disc. If you went this route you could buy 3 Premiers and 3 Hard Drives. I won't get in to the Lifetime stuff since I have no idea how all that works in regards to upgrades.

Anyway, just wanted to point out another option an a brief overview of my experience.

4. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003
    Looking at completed sales on Ebay of Series3 Tivos with Lifetime, you should be easily able to get $400 each. A Premiere with Lifetime costs $99+399 - at least that is what I'm seeing in my account, I'm not fully versed on how the MSD stuff works out at times.
    Personally I don't think the XL is worth the extra $200 for what ones gets, and if your only need for the XL is additional space than upgrade the internal 320GB drive to a 2TB, it is easy enough and costs $80.

Some say the the Premiere is not as good of an OTA tuner as the Series3, I don't know, I am currently using a Premiere for OTA, and it is fine.

5. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY

Advertisements

The big down side I see is that you can only buy hardware with your Fry's $600 credit not service. Most of the cost of a TiVo today is the service. I also see no reason to buy an XL over a regular Premiere. 2TB Hard drive upgrades are really easy.

Now that you are OTA only I would recommend building or buying a medium grade HTPC for your main TV. It doesn't even need tuners - just use it for storage and streaming. You will get access to the most free & legal video streaming from the web that way. Add boxee box software to it if you want. You also will get access to all of Hulu's free stuff that is not available with Hulu+ on a TiVo (or Roku).

I would us the 3 Series 3 TiVos for awhile to see how much OTA recording you actually do. 6 tuners is a pretty high number for OTA only & Yes I have 6 tuners for OTA only but think I have never used more than 4 at a time. If you build/buy a HTPC with enough storage you might not need all the storage in your TiVos (I also have 5.25 TB total storage in my 3 tivos so I do understand the desire for lots of storage). Moving shows around just takes a little planning - no restrictions with OTA.

Fry's has lots of other great stuff so I wouldn't rush to burn the money.

Good Luck,

6. turbobozz

turbobozz New Member

Sep 21, 2006
    MD/VA
    The SDUI is better than OK for performance. It is fast.
    The HDUI is merely OK at best, but generally a tad sluggish.

I believe the iPad app has support for S3 platform now.

You're not averse to upgrading the internal hard drive as you've done it with your S3's.
    I wouldn't pay the extra money for the XL when you can upgrade the drive yourself.

Since you already appear to have an iPad...
    I would buy 2 Premiere's, 2 large drives, and one or two slide remotes with your $600 at Fry's.
    Pay for lifetime on your Premieres.
    Then sell your S3's to pay yourself back for lifetime on the Premieres.

7. L David Matheny

L David Matheny Active Member

Jan 29, 2011
    SE Ohio
    I have a TiVo HD and a Premiere, both used for OTA only. IME, the Premiere's tuners are about equal to the HD's for distant stations (about 70 miles), and the Premiere handles (what I assume is) severe multipath on a couple of local stations MUCH better than the HD does.

8. keyzone72

keyzone72 Member

Oct 15, 2007
    El Paso, TX
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for the great suggestions and points of views. All three of my current Series 3 Tivo's already have the 1 TB WD MyTivo DVR expander.

[​IMG]

Since this is a "plug-n-play" authorized TIVO expander, I was planning on adding the 1 TB expander to the 1 TB that already comes inside the Premiere XL. This way, I end up getting 2TB of storage and I wouldn't have to spend any out of pocket funds to get there. From this stand point, especially since I have a $600 credit, getting two XL's seems to make more practical sense.

If I was paying out of pocket and wanted to get Series 4 untis, then I agree it would make more sense to get the basic Premiere Tivo and invest in a 2TB internal drive.

That being said, I haven't read many negative posts about using a Premiere/Premiere XL in SD menu mode the results in poor performance. I take that (so far) as a good thing. Seeing as the Series 4 has been out over a year and updates have been released since then, I'm cautiously optimistic that the user experience with a Series 4 will get better.

I also need to use this credit soon, so waiting for the Quad Tuner Premiere Q isn't an option. Though that unit does look very cool!

Please continue to post if you do have major warnings for me regarding the Premiere series still randomly freezing or rebooting with SD menus.

Thanks guys.

9. wmcbrine

wmcbrine Well-Known Mumbler

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't think there's anything Premiere-specific about support for the Ready NAS.

10. keyzone72

keyzone72 Member

Oct 15, 2007
    El Paso, TX
    Yes, the Netgear ReadyNAS will allow transfers back to any TIVO, but I believe that the Premiere (Series 4) supports streaming from the ReadyNas, something my surrect Series 3 units cannot do.

11. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    I don't have a ReadyNAS, but I don't think either part of that is true. Certainly, the Series 3 will do HME-based video streaming, for example with HME/VLC or Streambaby. But neither will do it from the ReadyNAS, AFAIK.

12. keyzone72

keyzone72 Member

Oct 15, 2007
    El Paso, TX
  13. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
  14. wmcbrine

Aug 2, 2003
    You're taking that too specifically as "streaming" in the sense of streaming vs. transferring. That's not what they mean. It just has an HMO service that does transfers.

Also note that it says "any TiVo", not "Premiere".

15. danjw1

danjw1 Member

Sep 13, 2005
    Opps, found that on the website, they support 3TB drives on newer firmware. Does the READYNAS ULTRA 6 PLUS, support capacities of more then 12TB with the newer firmware?

16. I WANT MORE

I WANT MORE Member

Oct 13, 2009
    "Middle of...
    Where is the best place to purchase a premier with an upgraded hard drive?

17. P42

P42 Active Member

Jan 7, 2003