1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I upgrade to the new interface?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rmstone, Mar 31, 2018.

1. rmstone

rmstone New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Should I upgrade to the new interface?

I have a TiVo Roamio plus. I'm interested in the new UI. But I definitely don't want to do anything that's going to slow the box down.

Advance for any input

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The new experience, AKA Hydra, has less features, such as the ability to copy shows to/from Tivo and the computer are gone. You also risk losing the shows already there if you were to revert back.

PCurry57 and pldoolittle like this.
  3. rmstone

rmstone New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    We don't transfer shows to a computer, but we do share them to an old series 3 we have upstairs. Does that functionality go away?

More generally, is it really an upgrade?

PCurry57 likes this.
  4. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Yes, S3 is considered legacy and even online.tivo.com has removed them.
    Premiere and above would still work there.

PCurry57 likes this.
  5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    But, you could use pyTivo Desktop to get the shows from your Hydrated Bolt to your PC, and then to transfer them from your PC to the S3. (Sad, that one would have to go that circuitous route.)

6. Apr 1, 2018 #6 of 74
    Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    It's definitely a lot slower and less efficient to get around in, but it is a more modern looking interface.

I tried it and reverted back.

7. Apr 1, 2018 #7 of 74
    rmstone

rmstone New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Is it easy to revert back. I though got I saw a message saying that it is irreversible.

8. Apr 1, 2018 #8 of 74
    JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is easy to rollback -> How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1

After a week the Roamio that I used for Hydra, then did a rollback, reappeared on the new experience upgrade web page. I can't promise it still works that way. On my TE3 Roamio boxes, there is an app to upgrade, but I leave it unchecked and have not tested it.

9. Apr 1, 2018 #9 of 74
    Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    The thing to keep in mind: if you revert from Hydra, you lose the recordings then on your box (and so, transfer any shows you want to save off your box first).

pldoolittle likes this.
  10. ajwees41

ajwees41 Well-Known Member

May 7, 2006
    Omaha,NE

you can still transfer to pc using third party software and to a tivo using tivoonline

11. jap3

jap3 Member

Jul 14, 2003
    Salem, NJ
    I was very interested in the Voice remote. I ordered that online and when came in, I realized I had to upgrade to the new interface. The upgrade process was easy and it brought all of my OnePasses and recorded programs over. However, I thought the interface was slow, too busy and cluttered and I did not care for the guide. We tried it for a couple of days, then reverted back knowing that I would loose all of my OnePasses and recorded shows. However, there is 3rd party software out there where you can save your OnePasses, thumbs up, etc. I ended up sending the VOX remote back.

Regarding the interface, I prefer the current text list with folders. The new interface has pictures of everything all over the place. It may be more modern, but for someone who has been with Tivo since the Series 1 in '99, the new interface is confusing. From what I've read, if you're recently coming from a Cable provider DVR, you shouldn't have any problems.

pldoolittle and krkaufman like this.
  12. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I had no problems using Hydra even after using TiVos for sixteen years. I thought it was very intuitive.

13. Sheffield Steve

Sheffield Steve Member

Jun 11, 2010
    I agree it's intuitive and easy to get around in. But slower and inefficient.

i.e. If looks nice having all those pretty pictures, but it means much less space on the screen for the information we need. (e.g. You can see a lot less shows on one screen in the new interface)

pldoolittle and Leo_N like this.
  14. jerryez

jerryez Active Member

May 16, 2001
    Pensacola,FL...
    I did not like the new interface. It is not user friendly. I switched back. I also have a Dish Hopper with Icons and I like it.

PCurry57, pldoolittle and Leo_N like this.
  15. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    At some point are we going to get stuck with this ******* interface whether we like it or not?

I despise all that real estate being wasted just to be pretty! The current interface has enough of that near the top, please don't take away my easy to scan lists. They are the best part of the interface.

16. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    Tivo said no, and for Premieres they kept the promise of no forced upgrade. I will not be upgrading my Roamio and Minis.

17. Leo_N

Leo_N Lucky 200 member

Nov 12, 2003
    Wisconsin, USA
    That is good. Hopefully they do the same for Roamio!

Are new Bolts automatically on Hydra? If so, do they have some type of downgrade UPGRADE! option.

If they are stuck with Hydra, that is probably enough that I will never buy one. I will be sad, but I really can't stand that interface. All I can think of when I see it is that Moxi interface from just before I got my first Series3. Ugh.

PCurry57 likes this.
  18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    New Bolts nowadays seem to come with Hydra installed. But yes, at least at present, one can fall back to the Gen3 interface.

19. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If you remember, when you install a new TiVo, hit the Info button on the remote when you are asked to select a country. That will answer your question which software you have. Yet, you will still get Hydra on the first install. Changing back to the other interface is easy. I've done it several times.

How to Rollback Hydra from Roamio and Mini's v1 works on a Bolt also.

PCurry57 and krkaufman like this.
  20. pmrowley

pmrowley Member

Apr 4, 2002
    Irvine, CA
    My wife HATES the new interface. Wish I could roll back, but I have tons of copy-protected recordings. The new guide sucks, the new interface looks ugly. It feels like a '90s cable box.

CopRock, PCurry57 and pldoolittle like this.