Should I upgrade to Bolt!?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by adamwsh, Sep 24, 2017.

1. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002

Advertisements

TiVo sent me an offer to upgrade my premier xl4 to a Bolt and they'll transfer my lifetime subscription for $99. I know that's a hell of an offer that they don't make often. A few months ago my xl4 was acting strange and was thinking it was going to fall. But it's been fine lately. So I'm wondering if it's worth the money to upgrade to Bolt or not. I don't need 4k. Have no plans to get a 4k tv. The xl4 is 5 years old. Should I upgrade simply to have the newer device? Should I get the 4 or 6 tuner?

TIA!

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Bolts use 2.5" hard drives and they usually don't make them for video devices. Besides, there may not be any 4K broadcasts any time soon.

If you want 4 or 6 tuners, get Roamio basic (4 tuner, OTA or cable), or Plus/Pro for 6 tuners, but its cable only.

3. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    Yes!!!

4. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I have a 2 tuner premiere. I haven't paid a while lot of attention to the newer features until now. So if I upgrade, I get:

• Faster performance (especially launching Netflix, etc)
    • More tuners
    • Commercial skip
    • Fast playback
    • Streaming to phone
    Anything else? For the streaming, can I watch outside of my network without any other hardware (mini)?

5. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...

Advertisements

White.
    RF Remote.
    Better tuner.

6. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    And a bend! ;)

7. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Let's say physically challenged. :rolleyes:

PCurry57 likes this.
  8. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    That's probably more politically correct. ;) But ya' know, I've come to like it, along with the white (for this device alone).

9. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I hide my Roamio behind a wooden wall. So a Bolt would really not be a problem due to its physical appearance. I would love the Gb ports and faster speed. Maybe next year.

10. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    I had HDMI HDCP issues with the Bolt and had to spend $18 an HDMI splitter to resolve the issue.
    I have experienced a couple of interface navigation slowdowns and one time the Bolt became unresponsive to the remote with only live tv playing in the top right corner and the rest of the screen was black. I left and came back after an hour and it recovered on its own.
    I experience 30-second skip slowdowns when I watch football and continuously skip to the beginning of every play. The slowdown is progressive and gets up to 1 second between presses. If I leave for a while and come back the issue is resolved, but will come back again if I start using 30-second skip.
    I bought a 2.5" 3Tb Seagate drive from amazon based on a couple of reviews from people who used the drive for a bolt, but it turns out the drive is an SMR drive and will likely fail soon.

The streaming apps on the Bolt are much better than the premiere, especially youtube which is unusable again on the premiere.
    Skip mode and mobile device streaming work really well on the Bolt.
    Fire Tv boxes and sticks have a tivo app that lets you use them like a mini to access your shows on the bolt, but the picture quality isn't as good. Not bad on a 32" 720p LCD tv, but can notice the difference on a 50" plasma.

I don't have a mini, but I don't think you can use a mini for out of home streaming, but you can use a fire tv or a mobile device.

11. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Not sure if it important for your setup, but you lose analog video connections on the Bolt (but still have analog audio through an extra not included mini-din cable) Most people won't care, but personally I have a slingbox setup where I use the analog connections, so went with a Roamio Pro replacement when those were still available.

If you are coming from 2 tuner, I would probably go for the regular Bolt. It has some usefulness if you ever drop cable. The Bolt+ 6 tuner is cable only. Then again, if you record a lot of stuff, you might find the 6-tuners useful.

As other people mentioned, you might not be aware of the shape of the new units. They aren't flat like the old units so if you want to stack stuff, you probably want to add some acrylic stand or place the Bolt on top of everything else (or just hide it in a closet)

12. TVCricket

TVCricket HDUI

Mar 7, 2010
    I upgraded from a Premiere and couldn’t be happier. Don’t have a 4K tv, but the speed going into any app is a huge improvement over what I’m used to.

krkaufman likes this.
  13. adamwsh

adamwsh Member

Oct 22, 2002
    I bought it! Got it today. It's certainly faster! Like the smaller remote.

14. Sparky1234

Sparky1234 Well-Known Member

May 8, 2006
    FYI. Roamio Pro and all Bolts are gigabyte speed. Don't see any difference in transfer speeds between boxes or to/from PC on Cat 6 ethernet as long as whole system supports gigabyte. Now Premiere transfers are much slower at 100 mps but not painfully slow, e.g., start transfer and watch whole show ahead of transfer while FF all commercials.

15. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    I was waffling on this offer. I have two premiers with 1TB hard drives and they aren't that old, or so I thought. I checked my purchase dates and I bought the first one in 2010! The second one I bought in 2013 and did the HD upgrade two years ago. So replacing the 7+ year old device was a no-brainer. I only wish I could get bigger than 1TB for an OTA box.

16. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    Relatively easy to sub in a Toshiba 2TB or 3TB drive (and you can save some $ this way as well :) ).

17. loubob57

loubob57 Cancer sucks! TCF Club

Mar 19, 2001
    Bedford, TX
    Yup, I may do that after the warranty is up. I also will still have one Premiere running with a 1TB drive.

18. mc2wheels

mc2wheels New Member

May 24, 2004
    Medway
    I just upgraded my 2 XL4s to Bolt+. Just not sure what to do with the Premieres now. I could try to sell them but looks like no one is really buying on ebay. I think the hassle of trying to ship to someone, etc. may not be worth my time. I could take out the drives and put them in external enclosures.

I do not think I will leave them running on my network as storage. I am in the middle of transferring all the shows that will transfer.

What would you do with the old boxes?

19. Rose4uKY

Rose4uKY Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Kentucky
    I wish Tivo would send me an offer like that. I still have an old Series 3 twenty Hour HD box with lifetime warranty not being used. Tried selling it awhile back don't think anyone wanted it. We moved in like the end of 2013 and had gotten a Premiere and 2 weeks or so later the Roamio came out and we we're having problems with the Premiere and we upgraded to the Roamio Plus I think we have.

But now I kind of want the Bolt Vox but we don't have or plan on having a 4K TV anytime soon but eventually maybe. We also have 2 Tivo Mini's and Tivo told me if we were to get the Bolt we could just get the Bolt remotes for our mini's and not have to upgrade the actual mini's is that correct? Is it worth upgrading from the Roamio to the Bolt I really think the voice features on the vox sound cool if it works well. Don't have lifetime on the Roamio but guess we could try to sell it. I asked Tivo about trasnfering Lifetime and they said no promotions going on right now,. Do you know how often they do that? I know this thread is a few months old but I happened to see an ad on FB about the Bolt Vox and have just been researching about it and forgot I was a member here. I've had every Tivo since the 1st single tuner one.

20. emuman100

emuman100 Member

Jul 3, 2003
    Lifetime Tivo HD boxes are quite popular. They can be hacked if you are good at Tivo hacking. You can definitely sell them on ebay. What are you asking?

I'm looking for a lifetime Premiere, but the original antenna/cable model. Premiere's can't be hacked, but I like Premiere's much better than Roamio's or Bolts.