Should I run initial Guided Setup WITH Cablebox or not?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by mrdazzo7, Sep 26, 2007.

1. mrdazzo7

mrdazzo7 Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2006
    I have my S3 and have read that it's a good idea to run an initial "guided setup" before the cable guy comes to put in the cards... My question is, should I run this setup through my current cable box, or just directly through the wall, or does it even matter? Might be a random question but whatever, haha.

Thanks!

2. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Ok no one answered so I did it without the cable box. I don't think it matters. One thing that's confusing me is that I only have one cable going into the unit--no dual connections--but I'm still getting dual tuner functionality... Is the dual tuner internal? I know with my S2DT I had to have a cable direct from the wall in addition to composites from the box to the tivo. Interesting!

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    The TivoHD and Series3 do not work with a cable box. They will not accept a signal from the cable box. The TivoHD and Series3 replace the cable box.

You get dual tuners because the signal is split internally.

4. gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    Your Series 2 DT didn't require input from a cable box to do its dual tuner thing.

If you'd connected only the cable run to the TiVo (no cable box) and told it so during Setup, it would have split that input and fed it to both its analog tuners.

The only thing the DT needs a cable box for is scrambled channels, or digital channels.

Regular unscrambled analog channels? The DT can get those on both of its tuners.

5. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Thanks, I feel like I actually should have realized that.

Anyway, here's a stupid(er?) question...when I rerum guided set-up after my cards are installed, will i lose shows I've already recorded on the unit? I don't think so but just wondering.

Thanks again

6. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    No. Guided setup doesn't touch your recordings, season passes, or wishlists.

You only lose recordings if you choose the "Clear and Delete" option, which deletes everything on your box.

7. mrdazzo7

Jan 8, 2006
    Thanks.

One other question I have is, I notice when I change channels now, there's a solid 2-3 second delay/Gray screen between channels... Is that how the S3 normally operates, or will it go away once I get the CableCards installed? Cause it's really annoying!

8. megazone

megazone Hardcore TiVo Geek

Mar 3, 2002
    .worcester.m...
    You have an HDTV? 1080p probably? Set the TiVo to 1080i Fixed output and see if the delay goes away - it probably will. (It is from the TV, not the TiVo.)