Should I return my Tivo Premiere and return to WMC?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by EricElf, Jul 5, 2011.

Should I return my Tivo Premiere and return to WMC?

Poll closed Aug 4, 2011.
  1. Keep Premiere, it will settle in.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Return Premiere, you got a bad unit.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. Return to Windows Media Center.

6 vote(s)
    33.3%
  4. Other, see post.

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. EricElf

EricElf New Member

Jul 5, 2011
    My Tivo Premiere is 1 week out of the box. Twice while watching is has just rebooted. Customer services says restarts are normal updates and should not continue. Reading here seems like a continual problem. Then yesterday it would not allow me to view anything recorded or online. I pulled the plug and it worked once restarted. Have not seen other reference to this blank video issue.

I was a series 1 user and then went to Media Center. We got tied of Windows issues and returned to Tivo. The Series 1 was rock solid. Seems that things are not so good now.

I am considering returning Tivo and going back to a Media Center PC or other (if you have a better suggestion). I'm tech savy and would even build up MythPC linux box if I thought it was the best option. Don't need free, but do need good. Don't do cable, everything is over the air.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    My Premiere (OTA only) does not reboot or lock up. I have upgraded the hard drive to a 2TB drive and use the older text based SDUI. I do reboot the unit myself maybe once every few weeks, just a practice I have gotten into with all my TiVos.

So I would say return before the 30 days are up if it doesn't straighten out and run smoothly. I don't care what the CRs tell you it can and should run without spontaneous reboots or lockups while you are using it, if it doesn't something is defective.

Good Luck,

3. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    I agree with this recommendation. It may be you already know your Premiere is defective and should return it now but I can't come to that conclusion with the information provided. I have had several different TiVos in the last 11 years and haven't observed the issues you mention with any new TiVo but will accept it is possible the behavior is normal and everything will be fine. One more incident of spontaneous reboot would be enough to return it, if you haven't already reached that threshold, in my opinion.

I would definitely try another TiVo Premiere before considering going back to a PC solution.

4. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Return the Premiere and get a replacement Premiere.

I've had my five Premieres since launch and so far they have been as rock solid as all the TiVos I've owned during the last ten years.

If I had to pull the plug and had multiple reboots like the OP described I would have exchanged mine. But none of my Premieres have had those issues(I'm also not counting the new streaming feature which is not an officially supported feature yet)

5. Gary-B

Gary-B Member

Jun 3, 2009
    Texas
    Dump the Tivo. I just got rid of mine and got a 8 Tuner WMC. Using 2 Ceton cards and an XBOX 360 as an extender. Only thing I miss is the Tivo remote, but I'll get over that.

6. slowbiscuit

slowbiscuit FUBAR

Sep 19, 2006
    In the ATL
    The extender experience kills WMC, IMO. Xboxes take too long to boot into WMC, use too much power to leave on all the time, and still make noise. Plus they can't play much beyond live and recorded TV unless you transcode or re-container everything.

You can work around this with multiple PCs and tuner sharing (or if you're lucky and have a provider that doesn't copy-protect much, just share the recording folders), but then you have the same recording mgmt problem that multiple Tivos have.

Ceton or SiliconDust should get into the extender market for their own good - WMC would be a great alternative if the current extenders didn't suck.

7. smbaker

smbaker Well-Known Member

May 24, 2003
    I just picked an option at random. Seriously, we're conducting polls on what one person should do with one DVR?

If the Tivo doesn't work, return it. Try another Premiere if you wish and see if it also doesn't work. Personally, even with the bugs and the unfinished state of the Premiere, I'd take it over a windows-based solution.

8. caddyroger

caddyroger New Member

Mar 14, 2005
    Some where...
    It may not be a defective premiere. There a lot of posters saying if the the Tivo is in HDUI mode it will will reboot. I have the same trouble. I keep mine in SDUI mode and that helped it has went into standby for no reason on occasions.
    The HDUI is slow to react on some premiere's.
    My advice is to exchange the the premiere if it does the same return it.
    I pre ordered mine in march of 2010. If I knew this was going to happen I would have returned my premiere and got a tivo hdxl

9. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Well- what do you want to do?

It seems that your unit may have an issue, it happens. Do you want to troubleshoot first before sending back for a replacement?

Some things to check- is your unit already on the current version of the software? Are you hardwired (less chance for interference)? Are you also getting pixilization?

I'd make sure these are settled, and if you have the same issue, exchange it.