Should I purchase a series 3?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by stedmakr, Jul 14, 2007.

1. stedmakr

stedmakr New Member

Dec 25, 2003

Advertisements

I've had our Tivo 2 for three years and my wife and I love the flexibility that it gives us. I also use TIVO to Go, TivoCast and we play our music through the TIVO. We love TIVO!!!

I have actually delayed our transition to a big screen TV and HD because of TIVO. I was disappointed when the S3 came out because it was too expensive and the feature set was crippled (no TIVO to Go). This winter I'll finally make the plunge to a large plasma or LCD HD TV. I have a couple of questions about this plunge.

If I get an S3 and want to use the dual tuner capability does the new TV that I'll buy need to have two cable card slots?

I'm a Comcast user and from reading the threads on this forum believe that at some time during the next year or two Comcast will offer an HD turner with full Tivo functionality. Is this true? If so, does it make sense to buy the S3?

Are there any other issues that I should consider? The HD TV, HD DVR and probable HD DVD will be a large expenditure for me and I'd like to get it right.

Thanks,

Keith

2. A J Ricaud

A J Ricaud Active Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Hacienda...
    The TV does not need a cablecard slot. The cablecards, up to 2, go in the Tivo box.
    You will need 2 cards if you want dual tuner cable functionality.

3. bidger

bidger Active Member

Mar 30, 2001
    Elmira, NY
    Switched Digital Video, aka SDV, since you're with Comcast. There's an official SDV spotting thread on the board.

4. vstone

vstone Active Member

May 11, 2002
    Martinsville...
    No, you should steal one! (Just kidding!!)

5. moyekj

moyekj Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Mission...

Advertisements

Wait a couple more months for the $299 Tivo S3 lite to come out if price is really a barrier for you...

6. c-surfer

c-surfer Member

Jul 25, 2001
    San Diego,...
    The S3 is fantastic and the best way to record HD programs. I'm very pleased with mine.

7. Jedi4141

Jedi4141 Member

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes.

8. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004
    Look at the situation at that time.

In the meantime, read casually for background, to prepare. Avoid all posts where someone gives the impression of running around in circles shouting "Switched Video is Coming! Switched Video is Coming!" Also read with some suspicion posts that contain the equivalent of "I like (or liked) Tivo as much as anyone else, but ..."

As soon as you hear the "but," watch your wallet.

9. GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    My thoughts exactly.

Actually, redux has some good advice - don't make the jump until you are closer to having the TV, by that time the landscape (MRV/TTG/SDV) may have changed.