Should I keep the box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by jjd_87, Jun 23, 2014.

1. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV
    I have a TiVo Premiere 4 that is about 2 years old now with lifetime service. I've been hanging onto the box and packing materials with the idea that I may sell it one day and that it would bring more money with the original box.

Flash forward to today and my wife it wanting it moved out of the spare bedroom that we are turning into a nursery. So the question becomes do I find another place to stash this box or toss it? What do you guys think?

2. Time_Lord

Time_Lord Member

Jun 4, 2012

its a box, toss it, if you ever sell the TiVo you can always put it in another box, that's what I did with my Premiere 4 when I sold it and it sold for the same price as all the others on eBay.

-TL

3. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    Toss it. I generally only keep boxes through the manufacturers warranty or return period.

4. squint

squint New Member

Jun 15, 2008
    I believe it helps the resale value and it sure makes shipping easier. I've had a bunch of Tivos shipped to me and a lot of people who didn't have the original box looked like they really struggled to find something that would work.

I just put all boxes and packing materials in the attic. Plenty of room up there.

5. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Original boxes and packaging are the best things you'll ever find for transporting stuff like that because they were specifically designed for that, and they're already labeled as to what's inside them.

If you don't have an attic you can stick it in, throw some cloth over it and call it a small table.

6. nooneuknow

nooneuknow Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I vote keep the box until you no longer have the item that came in it.

If space is really at a premium, cut the tape, flatten the box, and just put the packaging in a bag. I'm one of the "value is higher with original packaging" acolytes.

I've never had a damaged in shipping item not covered by the shipping carrier, so long as I used the original box and packaging. If a product is still under any warranty, sometimes non-original packaging for shipping voids the warranty, when you ship something in under warranty.

7. Teeps

Teeps Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2001
    Torrance,Cal...
    Stashing boxes is what the rafters in the garage are for, put it in a trash bag to keep out dirt/dust.

8. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Keep it. A couple of years ago, I instituted a system for marking boxes as I got stuff with their "expiration date" of when I would throw them out, usually 3 years, sometimes a bit longer, depending on the item. TiVo boxes I would probably keep just about forever, same for Nintendo...

9. replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    I say 'keep it if you have the space'. It is much easier shipping them in the original box. And when looking at TiVos for sale, it seems that if you have the original boxes, manuals and cords, people seem to pay more for a 'buy it now'. I got two TiVos in the original box and then another box just a little bit bigger so even better for shipping.

10. gigaguy

gigaguy Member

Aug 29, 2013
    I keep most all boxes and packing... cause I like to resell and upgrade.
    If I buy a used item, I like getting everything that came new, if available...
    just depends on your needs.

11. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    It also depends on how big your attic is...

12. jjd_87

jjd_87 Member

Jan 31, 2011
    WV

None existent, or at least no access to it. But I put it in a trash bag and put in the shed. It should be fine out there.

13. Bigg

Bigg Cord Cutter

Oct 30, 2003
    Hartford-...
    Or how big your shed is. :D