Should I get the HD DVR?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by averagejo, Jul 11, 2011.

1. averagejo

averagejo New Member

Sep 7, 2008

Advertisements

We recently got an HDTV. I was on the phone with Direct TV last night about something else and they said I could get an HD DVR for free except the installation cost. I keep waiting for the HD Tivo but it doesn't look like it will be anytime soon.

Can someone tell me the positive and negatives about the HD DVR? I heard you don't have to have a phone line to activate it. And will I still be able to use my Samsung Direct TV Tivos in the other 2 rooms? I think they will be switching out the satellite dish....

2. bigpuma

bigpuma Well-Known Member

Aug 12, 2003
    Morgan Hill, CA
    I have had the DirecTV HD DVRs almost since they first came on the market coming up on 4 years now. I have been very happy with them and they are much better now than they were when I got my first one. It has been so long since I used a TiVo it is hard for me to talk about negatives but some people are bothered by the 50 series limit. I am sure other folks will give you other items. For me the picture looks great. I love multi room viewing, but that won't work unless you also upgrade your other receivers.

3. averagejo

averagejo New Member

Sep 7, 2008
    You can only have 50 season passes?

4. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, at present the DirecTV boxes limit you to 50 "Series Links" (what TiVo calls Season Passes). This bothers some people, not others. There are various ways to deal with it if you have lots of SPs, though the simplest may be to get a second DVR.

I suspect that many people have extra Season Passes to compensate for TiVo's weak search filtering features. Use of "Boolean search terms" on the DirecTV boxes can help here.

5. Admdata

Admdata New Member

May 9, 2010
    Greeley PA

Advertisements

When the new Hr 34 comes out (late this year), it can record (or watch) 5 channels at the same time, as well as have 150 Season Passes, of course that doesn't help you now.

BTW: if they install a Swim Dish the current Directivo's will not work unless they install a swim 8 or 16 box

6. Rick-Directv

Rick-Directv New Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Can somebody tell me if the newest Directv DVR has the equivalent of TIVO's "Wishlist" feature? With TIVO's Wishlist, I can state that I like, say, horror and suspense movies.... and, throughout the day and night, TIVO will automatically record all those types of movies for me....without me having to doing anything.

I've found waiting for me some really great, obscure movies that were recorded which I never would have known about if it wasn't for that Wishlist feature. It shows up in my Season Pass list, so I can prioritize along with the other Season Pass entries.

Since I now found out that Directv's DVR has the equivalent feature of TIVO's Season Pass ("Series Links" - thanks, Stevel), the only thing holding me back from switching my VERY OLD Directv TIVO (model HR 10) for a newer Directv DVR is the equivalent of the Wishlist feature...

Can somebody tell me if the newest Directv (non-TIVO) DVRs have the equivalent of this Wishlist feature? Also, by switching over to the new DVR, are there any unique TIVO features that I'd be giving up???

Thanks in advance!

Rick

7. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    There is sort-of a wishlist equivalent - you can set up an auto-record keyword search. I have not used this enough to know if it would do what you want. DirecTV does not have TiVo "Suggestions".