Should I get Lifetime Service?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by Plamar, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA

Advertisements

I bought a "pre-owned" Premiere off Craigslist for $100, and it also came with the wireless G attachment (which i do not need). I went to activate it, and was unable to since the prior owner had to call to cancel. He did so, gave me a reference number, then he tells me that the balance of the 2 year warranty he bought for it is transferring with the unit, good until June 2012.

He forgot he had an extended warranty when he sold it, and I was psyched it still has some warranty.

If I can get the lifetime service for $299 (using the promo code) should I do it? I plan on staying with Tivo for more than a few years, and the numbers seem to favor lifetime.

2. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    My opinion, if you can afford it, do it.
    If you ever want to sell the Tivo in the future, it will retain value.
    Plus, no monthly bills.

3. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Yes. Buy a UPS to avoid a common cause of TiVo failure.

I have had an S2 for going on 6 years now with no problems, I've more than gained my money back for buying Lifetime. I just put Lifetime on my new Premiere.

What's this about a promo code?
    (EDIT: Just saw the PLSR code. Nice if you can get it; I'd still pay $399 if necessary).

4. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA
    I have it on a APC UPS 500. Short money for the peace of mind it gives.

5. Davelnlr_

Davelnlr_ N5GGG

Jan 12, 2011
    North...

Advertisements

All my electronics is on a UPS, APC1500. My Sony S1 with lifetime is still going strong.

6. gthassell

gthassell Active Member

Apr 22, 2003
    Willowbrook, IL
    Lifetime + eBay = very inexpensive upgrades to whatever the next version is. Can't recommend any non-lifetime subscription plan.

7. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    IMHO technology in this space right now is changing too fast to invest in a lifetime sub. Look at the smartphones today. They have more horsepower than the already outdated Premiere. We are moving away from a linear broadcast model to on demand and IPTV. Tivo has continually shown that they don't understand this or can't innovate fast enough.

In the end it is a cost benefit analysis. If you can add a tivo at 6.95/mo, lifetime is a complete waste of money. As the sub price goes up, so does the shift in value.

Remember the Lifetime is tied to the hardware. I don't have confidence that the hardware technology will still be relevant in the time it takes to break even. Not today. In the past it was a no brainer.

8. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    I'd get lifetime. The risk being it craps out after the warranty is up or your service provider changes tech.

Both aren't likely to happen for the next few years.

9. Plamar

Plamar Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Central MA
    I am 100% OTA so the second happening is impossible.

10. Quake97

Quake97 New Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Southeastern PA
    I'm not an advocate of lifetime just because I don't keep stuff long enough to make it worth it. Yeah, sure, people say that we can sell it for more on ebay, but I really doubt you'll get any good money back. If you buy lifetime and then sell it after a year, I don't think you'll make back the money between the lifetime and the cost of service for that one year. I'm fine paying for the yearly for two years, which is way cheaper than the lifetime.

Joe

11. orangeboy

orangeboy yes, I AM orangeboy!

Apr 19, 2004
    East Moline, IL
    Way cheaper?
    Lifetime cost: $399
    12.95 x 24 months: $310.80
    Difference: $88.20

You'd break even at ~2 years, 7 months.

12. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I have never lost much money (sometimes made money when PLS was not easily available to new TiVo customers) when switching to a newer TiVo with Lifetime and selling the old TiVo with lifetime on E-Bay. I have been with TiVo 10 years and I have spent less than $1200 net over that 10 year time period and now have 4 TPs with PLS and one old Humax/DVD with PLS all with upgraded hard drives. At my peak i had 7 Series 2 TiVos with PLS.

13. wp746911

wp746911 New Member

Feb 18, 2005
    299/12.95=24 months
    399= 2 years, 7 month.

Either way I think you are in a win win situation. Granted things are changing fast, but unless you think that in 2-3 years tivo premiere will be entirely obsolete and worthless (basically cable tv ceases to exist as we know it now or tivo goes under), then you come out ahead. Of course there are no guarantees, but odds are it will work in your favor.

14. PedjaR

PedjaR Member

Jan 4, 2010
    Cary, NC
    There's also this: even if Tivo were to go under, somebody would buy it, for the value of a) patents, and b) non-lifetime subscriptions, and keep running the servers to update the guide data (with probably no more software updates, though). There is a precedent - ReplayTV. Those boxes were still getting guide data last time I checked, despite having considerably fewer customers than Tivo, and also likely smaller percentage of customers with month-to-month subscriptions (initially, ReplayTV had no subscriptions other than lifetime). Not to mention that the ReplayTV hardware is way behind times - SD only, one tuner. So, I would not worry too much about Tivo staying viable.

15. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    Pre Paid for 1 year..
    $129./12 =$10.75 per month

$129.x3= $387.

$399. - $387. =$12.

Only after 3 years will lifetime (@$399.) start to pay off. Not to say Lifetime isnt a good thing for long run adopters but for those who might want the next best thing OR if the TiVo with Lifetime craps the bed Lifetime will not pay off. Also to repair a TiVo with Lifetime that has died an early death those extra costs would extend the time it would take Lifetime to pay for itself. If one has hardware issue every few years Lifetime will never be worth it. It seems a personal preference thing, i for one chose to pay 1 year for $129. That way if something great and new comes out, like a 3 or 4 tuner TiVo im not so invested with a lifetime subscription that i cant switch to a new TiVo with a new plan at terms end.
    Edit: The $299 price would be a little more inviting and if Im ever offered the $199 lifetime price and my TiVo HD is still running strong I might have to jump on that but I am sure that will not happend until after next November when my TiVo HD will be 3 years old. I was offered $299 this year and passed.

16. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    My main fear as a FIOS customer is that cablecard service could be severely limited. It looks like the new IMG rolling out now will bring new channels only for those using it. Since they are out of capacity for new channels, something will be done and likely at the expense of the cablecard users. My guess is that other systems will likely increase SDV usage and or migrate to a non-linear distribution method of some sort. These are real threats in the next few years. So while you might break even on lifetime, your pool of buyers will decrease along with a viable resale market outside of OTA users. With no real options for pro sports OTA and blackout restrictions, OTA will not see much traction unless things change. Seeing as the cable company owns 2 of my local teams, I doubt they have any incentive to help me cut the cord.

And again, on a $6.95/mo plan break even is past the useful life of the hardware period. Even with a cable card at $3/mo, it is a savings over the cable DVR of $60 or so a year. My other box is lifetime from 2006. Once again at that time it was a no brainer.

17. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    I had the Series 2 540; hardware cost about $0 because of the rebates ($150) sales on the unit and the TiVo reward system for activation, lifetime cost me $299, 3 years later i sold it on E-Bay for $320, 3 years at $6.95 *36 is $250, may cost about $10.

18. lujan

lujan Active Member

May 24, 2010
    I have to agree. I only pay the yearly price because I always want to be on the bleeding edge of technology and don't want to be stuck with any DVR if a newer and better one comes out.

19. wireless200

wireless200 New Member

Apr 15, 2004
    One of the best things about lifetime is never receiving a monthly bill. You just bite the bullet and months later you never even think about it.

20. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    You realize that if you stick with TiVo, lifetime will have paid for itself by the time TiVo releases something new...or have you not been around that long? :p