should I get a DT or an old S2?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by timr_42, May 7, 2006.

1. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO

Advertisements

Ok, I have two S2's lifetimed. It looks like I can get an 80 hour S2 for $50 after rebate or around 100 for a new DT(if I can find one) after rebate. Since I have two S2's, I don't know why I would need a DT, but I am still unsure.

Should I get an older S2 cheaper, or get the new DT? Suggestions?

I am not waiting to get an S3. They will be way out of my price range and I don't have a HD tv yet, maybe by the end of the year, but even so the reported 800 is not going to put me in line.

2. litzdog911

litzdog911 TechKnow Guide

Oct 18, 2002
    Mill Creek,...
    What's your video source? The dual tuner feature only benefits you if you're using analog Cable TV. If you're using a cable box or satellite receiver you still have just one input.

3. rainwater

rainwater Active Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Thats not true. If you have a Cable box, you will have one input from the cable box and one input that is analog. One of the tuners can record from the digital source and the other from the analog source.

4. timr_42

timr_42 Active Member

Oct 14, 2001
    st louis, MO
    Actually it's both. One currently uses a box, the other does not. I can do two analog or one and one. I guess I'm looking at which would be a better fit. I think wireless is built in the DT(?) so I would not have to buy an adaptor. That could be a deciding factor. I guess I'm just trying to think out loud and get which should be the best for me. In reality, I'm ok with just the two, but at the low price of the S2, it's tempting. I paid a lot more for my older ones.

5. greg_burns

greg_burns Now in HD

May 21, 2004
    Slower...

Advertisements

Unfortunately, no. it only has a built-in ethernet port. To do wireless, you either need a USB wirless adapter or some sort of wirless "bridge".

Do you have a lot of scheduling conflicts that could be resolved by recording one from show from Digtal cable box and the other from channels 1-99? (This is generally the case for two network channels, or 1 network and 1 premium, but not two premium channels).

If not, then I would buy a lifetimed S2 from ebay.

6. tmj

tmj New Member

Oct 2, 2005
    Jacksonville...
    CompUSA has them for 29.99 after instant savings and rebate -- 80 hour S2 -- saw it in this mornings paper.

7. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    the compelling features of the DT are the two tuners and the ethernet port. Also reports are the DT has a beefeier processor.

so if conflicts are an issue or having to MRV shows around to watch is an issue than a dul tuner would be a benefit. Note the MRV is helped simply from most shows being on one TiVo vs on two different TiVos.

the ethernet would most likely make things faster - though no definitive report yet. Helpful for TiVoToGo if you do that but if you use wireless everywhere then that is not compelling Sa vs DT.

do you wish the menus would move faster? that could be compelling but most series 2 are not bad on that so no idea if you see 50$ worth in that.

8. Puppy76

Puppy76 Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2004
    This is a no brainer. Unless you use broadcast TV, get a dual tuner S2. It hardly costs any more (even more so when you factor in not having to buy an Ethernet adapter), gives you the massive advantage of dual tuners, and as a bonus the hardware is faster (not that the older S2's are slow really).