Should i get a 2nd TiVo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by conwayflyboy, Jan 26, 2006.

1. conwayflyboy

conwayflyboy New Member

Jan 26, 2006
    i just bought my first TiVo, and absolutely love it. i had a DVR previously from my cable company, but it could not connect to my network. so i bought the TiVo for that purpose alone and it seems to be working quite well. now my question is: should i buy a second one for my bedroom. mainly i only want it to be able to transfer shows from one to the other. does this require a second subscription? or can i connect the second one to my network without a second subscription? anybody, please.

2. crowfan

crowfan The Dude abides

Dec 27, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    You must subscribe the second TiVo for it to do *anything* at all (well, except for trickplay features in the 30 minute buffer). But subscription on the second TiVo will only be $6.95 a month.

3. paulstefano

paulstefano New Member

Jan 12, 2006
    You need a subscription.

Sombebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but you need a subscription to do just about anything with a Series 2 except pause and rewind.

4. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    Correct

And Yes you should buy another ... and another... and another ... until every TV in the house has one like me :D

5. jgaermom

jgaermom Member

Oct 22, 2005
    you can get a refurbished 40 hour for only $30 after rebate from Tivo right now

6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    I have 2 tivo's. One for my room and one for the living room for all the roommates. They both tivo pretty much the exact same things! I have like 0 conflicts. The only thing is 24/Las Vegas, that's all :)

So when I move on my own in September, not sure if I should keep #2 on, we'll see how it works out.

7. supersportsfan

supersportsfan New Member

Sep 15, 2005
    I highly recommend getting a 2nd Tivo. We recently got a 2nd, and I am thrilled with it. The transfers from one Tivo to another are amazing. We get better then real-time, in most cases don’t even have to watch commercials, so its almost as good as having a dual tuner. Interestingly enough, I had heard that Tivo 2 Tivo transfers were about real time, so I don't know if I just got lucky, or if this is typical...and yes, as others said you have to pay, but its worth it with the discount.

8. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    I'm not saying to look into a second TiVo, but I'd look into a video extender first, unless you really could use a second DVR for recording something else.

9. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Just got my 2nd tivo online and connected to the other. The 2 connected is cool and is a touch under real time or about real time I think. But it's wireless B and not the best connection.

10. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Networking requires a sub. Do you have conflicts currently? Namely, that you'd like to record two shows that are on at once? If so, a 2nd TiVo is a really good solution.

Now, even if you don't have conflicts... and simply would like to watch the TiVo's output on another TV in a different room... you could go with an A/V broadcaster or extender... but that produces its own hassles (interference, etc.). If you have the ability to somehow do that wired, you'll be much better off.

A 2nd TiVo does have the advantage in that you could use it as a backup device.

Note: the transfers take time and so you shouldn't think of it as a "Oh, let me watch what's on the TiVo in another room" but rather "oh, while I'm fixing dinner, I better have it transfer the show--then I can watch". The A/V broadcast doesn't need the transfer time.

11. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA

On a wired network at High Quality transfer you may need to start it 10-15 minutes a head of time as transfer is close to 45 minutes and skipping commercials can get you caught up with the download. On any other setting Medium/Basic you can do a transfer and start it immediately in my experience.

12. TiVoEvan74

TiVoEvan74 Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Glad to hear that with wired one can start watching immediately, at least at the lower recording qualities... does it transfer continuously or, as with wireless, are there pauses while one waits for it to catch up?

With wireless, it is certainly a better viewing experience to transfer first, then watch. Interestingly, when we have our wireless set up well, it probably takes 1/2 hour, maybe 40 min. to transfer an hour show... but that is at basic.

13. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    I have things recording at High. When I do a wired transfer, I typically watch right away and I can FF through commercials as if the show was recorded on that TiVo. If you do catch up to what's being transferred, it will pause while it waits to catch up, but typically I don't run into that. When I do run into it, it's usually because I'm FFing a lot at the beginning of a show (skip "previously" stuff, etc).