Should I buy my own Router and modem with Xfinity and Tivo Premiere XL using MoCa

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by pannhughes, Sep 14, 2020 at 5:25 PM.

1. pannhughes

pannhughes New Member

Monday

Advertisements

I am tired of paying for Xfinity modem and router but have it all through a MoCa and I am not sure if I change my current configuration if I can get it all to work again...anyone else have an Xfinity cable card, Premier XL connected to another Premier using MoCa and own their equipment ourtright?

Help, every time I change something, I cause more problems....HELP

2. DanDietrich

DanDietrich New Member

Dec 16, 2017
    I have fios. I switched my connection from the cable to Ethernet and use a cable card in my tivo. I use a mesh wifi setup and a couple of network switches. I also have a tivo on a different tv connected via Ethernet to the main unit. Everything works well.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

3. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    In my current house I don't have MOCA setup because I haven't wired the upstairs for it yet. But in my prior house I did and it all worked fine. My own modem and router. Also Make sure to put a POE filter on your line where your cable comes into the house before connecting to your modem. This will ensure your signal does not leak out.....

This is the one I used but you prob can shave a few dollars further off of that

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EKCL1U6

4. lhvetinari

lhvetinari Watching telly, drinking wine - Lily Allen TCF Club

Jun 24, 2019
    Chicago
    Sounds a lot like my old system, before I started upgrading TiVos. Sidenote: my apartment has a POE filter on the entry, so I didn't factor for one in my installation. Works fine for me, it'll probably work fine for you, assuming you're OK with troubleshooting yourself.

My modem is a Motorola MB7621
    My router/etc is a Ubiquiti UniFi Dream Machine Pro
    My access point is a UniFi UAP-AC-Pro
    MoCa bridging is handled by my frontroom Bolt (Bolt Vox 1TB for Cable)
    Other MoCa clients are my two A93 Minis (one wireless), an A95 Mini, and my bedroom Bolt 1TB.

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003

Advertisements

You should be fine so long as you replace all the functionality being provided by your leased Xfinity cable gateway (combo cable modem/router). Most critically, if your leased gateway is currently acting as your Ethernet/MoCA bridge, then you'd likely need to buy a standalone MoCA adapter (along with your own cable modem & wireless router) to replicate the functionality of the all-in-one gateway.

That said, you'd need to supply more details of your existing configuration for a more authoritative answer.

snerd likes this.
  6. WVZR1

WVZR1 Active Member

Jul 30, 2008
    The WV...
    A FiOS G1100 (does MoCA) behind a quality modem should do everything that you need. Do you have Xfinity voice? I have my own 'owned' modem, a G1100 FiOS router and all is well. The G1100 is fairly inexpensive and if you're in a Verizon/FiOS service area many FiOS customers are upgrading to a newer WiFi6 configuration so it could be very inexpensive.

I've done a friends recently using a G1100 and his is fine. Where are you located?