should I buy an S3 quick?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by tony97007, Dec 30, 2006.

1. tony97007

tony97007 New Member

Dec 31, 2002

Advertisements

I've been wavering on whether or not to pick up an S3. Please help me decide. Here's my situation:

- I am currently a DirecTV subscriber, with a less-then-positive experience with Comcast quality in my past. I'm not anxious to return to cable, so the Tivo S3 would likely be used for OTA HD only. EDIT: We also recently got Verizon FIOS service for internet connection only. Haven't looked into their TV service yet. Should I? :)
    - My main TV is not HD, but the Tivo would go in the basement, connected to an HD projector. I'll move it upstairs if I ever get off the fence and finally pick up a plasma as our every day TV.
    - I have a Series 1 Tivo (not being used due to bad hard drive) that I can transfer the lifetime subscription from for $100, but only if I purchase an S3 in the next day.

So...is the a S3 worthwhile purchase for OTA recording only?

Thanks.

-tony

2. rufusryker

rufusryker New Member

Dec 3, 2006
    It's easily "worth it" just from a purely economic standpoint. Your broken Series 1 with Lifetime is about to become practically worthless -- once you can no longer transfer the lifetime sub. However, if you purchase a Series 3 and transfer the lifetime, you will salvage some value from the original TiVo and even make a profit should you choose to sell it, whether now or sometime in the future.

3. Horrortaxi

Horrortaxi Conspiracy Theorist

Sep 19, 2006
    Burbank, CA
    Magic 8 ball says "my sources say no."

4. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    :up: What rufu said.

5. Deacon West

Deacon West New Member

Apr 16, 2006

Advertisements

Ya gotta pull the trigger. I am a former D* who went to Comcast last year. The S3 kills picture quality wise, both OTA and CableCARDs. As previous posters have stated, your S1 is about to be as valuable as a carboard boat anchor. Dive in and enjoy.

6. Mike Farrington

Mike Farrington Lost Member

Nov 16, 2000
    I've been struggling with the same dilemma for the past 24 hours. Even though I'm strapped for cash at the moment, I felt it was better to recoup some value from the old S1 before it was too late. It's been collecting dust for a 18 months since I put two networked S2s into service. At the time, MRV was just too convenient to pass up.

I don't even have a HDTV yet. I probably won't have the money for one of those until summer at least.

I missed out on the Dell deal. I thought about the Costco deal, but since I wasn't sure about price protection and lifetime warranty for non-members, I just went ahead and got it from Buy.com for about $657 shipped.

I may get a 3rd-party extended warranty for it since I won't be able to test the HighDef outputs until well past the 90-day factory warranty. I'm usually pretty adamant about never getting extended warranties, but with the S3:
    (a) being so very new
    (b) being somewhat problematic for some
    (c) having a $500 lifetime subscription inexorably tied to it
    I felt the warranty is necessary in my situation.

7. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    I held my nose and ordered an S3 this afternoon because (1) I was able to get one for nearly $200 less than retail and (2) if I didn’t get one soon, I would lose the right to transfer my existing Lifetime Subscription on my old S1 to an S3.

Buying the new box creates about as many problems for me as it solves (I am worried about CableCARD problems; also, see my thread about cabling and switch issues). Nevertheless, I am really looking forward to being able to record Fox’s and ABC’s HD transmissions

8. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member TCF Club

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    I personally watch mostly OTA. Football games, primetime tv, etc. The Series3 is absolutely worth it for OTA for me. I find that most of the cable channels are crap. I wouldn't mind NFL-HD and ESPN-HD, but I'm not going to die without it and don't feel like paying $50+ a month for it..

If you have a cable modem, you might be surprised how many analog channels you already get, which would complement your OTA...

9. btwyx

btwyx Substantive Member

Jan 16, 2003
    Mountain...
    That would describe my situation almost exactly, before I got the S3. I swallowed my distast for the cable company, I got an S3, I got cable and cable cards, and now I've cancelled my D* account and my HR10 is up on eBay.
    The S3 works very well for just OTA, it solved all my reception problems so I can watch football games OTA in perfect quality. My HR10 could never do without dropping out. I did think I'd be watching HD cable, but even though I have the same channels through cable I tend to watch them OTA.
    It would definitely be worth looking into.

10. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Actually, you mean $199. BTW, even if you decide not to buy, it's very simple to replace the hard drive to get a working lifetime unit..

11. BriGuy20

BriGuy20 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Vienna, VA
    I'd have to say pull the trigger, ESPECIALLY if you can enjoy the benefits of HD.

The main complaint one could level at DirecTV is that their HD isn't true HD, but rather 1280x1080 (instead of 1920x1080). This means you get SERIOUSLY reduced horizontal resolution on your HD channels as long as you keep DTV.

While I'm not a cable apologist by any means, my experience after hooking up the Series 3 has been great. I'd go so far as to say that it almost REMOVES any complaints I might have about Cable. Other than the occasional macroblocking on HD channels, I couldn't be happier parting with $800.

I'd say the major decision you should be making is whether or not you'll switch to FiOS or Cable. :eek:

12. bobharp

bobharp Member

Jan 17, 2003
    Tony,
    Do it. Audio and video are amazing. It oddly looks better than the HD STB I still have.
    Very happy.

13. gwsat

gwsat Member

Sep 14, 2006
    Oklahoma City
    Is it possible to use the “Recall” button (or whatever it is called on the S3) to toggle between an OTA channel and a cable channel?

14. ThreeSoFar

ThreeSoFar FourNow...WaitFive

May 24, 2002
    Baltimore
    Yes, though if the other tuner is occupied, you lose your recorded buffer doing that.

Better would be to record both shows simultaneously. RECORD THEM--not just watch them live. If you just watch, your TiVO might decide to start recording something on the other tuner while you're watching this one.

While both shows are recording live, you can toggle between the two by switching tuners (either pausing on the first one or not) by pressing "live TV".

15. jaspervicenti

jaspervicenti New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    I just called TiVo right now and the rep said they extended both the purchase and transfer out to 1/31/07. He did not have to put me on hold or anything so it seems like they may be getting a bunch of calls regarding this. Let's hope the price goes down a bit further.

16. tony97007

tony97007 New Member

Dec 31, 2002
    Thanks for all your help guys. I'm going for it. $880 ($679 at the store here + $199 subscription transfer) to get a lifetime of excellent HD recording seems like a good deal. With bittorrent, netflix, and OTA HD Tivo, I'm starting to wonder how much longer I even want to pay for any TV every month...

-tony