Should I buy a REFURBISHED humax 80hr?

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by jpe118, Dec 15, 2005.

1. jpe118

jpe118 New Member

Dec 12, 2005

Advertisements

Through the southwest airlines discount I can purchase a refurb. humax 80hr for $99!

YOu can also get a 40hr for $150 (new)... it seems like an easy choice

The way I look at it (deciding between the toshiba and the humax), i buy the humax for $99 and get the lifetime tivo for $300 and that equals the toshiba price (w/ basic tivo).

BUT****

I know people have lots of problems with the humax unit. Should I just try and cancel out one more variable (REFURBISHED) and get a new unit?

2. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Assuming the refurb unit has a warantee, go for it. Check all the features ASAP after it arrives and return or exchange it if you have any issues. Lifetime can be transfered to the new unit if you get a warantee replacement.

3. Sleet

Sleet New Member

Mar 9, 2005
    I bought my 40 hour TiVo Series 2 as a refurbished unit and have had zero problems with it. Had I seen the offer for the refurbished Humax DRT800 before I bought a new one on eBay I would have gone for that instead.

The way I see it is that the refurbished units are likely to have undergone much more testing than the new units and are likely to give you fewer problems.

Sleet

4. jgaermom

jgaermom Member

Oct 22, 2005
    I have the humax 80 hour with DVD and love it.

5. frodneb

frodneb New Member

Oct 30, 2005

Advertisements

I bought the refurbished 80 hr. also and have no problems with it. It is great to burn DVDs and can be updated to a larger drive fairly inexpensively.

Rich

6. Bernie Lomax

Bernie Lomax New Member

Dec 16, 2005
    I'm already on my second DRT800F. Got the first one last xmas, just had it replaced last month. :rolleyes:

7. bjorn04

bjorn04 New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    What died/went wrong with your DRT800 that it had t/b replaced? Was it otherwise trouble free or ???

8. briguymaine

briguymaine Visual Assault Cmdr.

Mar 17, 2004
    Beautiful Maine
    I almost always buy refurb stuff, I figure it has been returned either because th people didn't like it or there was something wrong with the unit. In theory if there was a defect it would be repaired and better than new because the doubt is gone, in theory!

9. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    I'd be on it like a duck on a junebug!

Jim

10. Ipaqjoe

Ipaqjoe Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Phoenix, AZ
    I went through two "Brand new" Humax units before I caved and accepted a refurb unit. The refurb unit works 100 times better than the two "new" ones they sent.

1st 80hr had the remote sensor issue
    2nd 40hr (ran out of 80 hr's) sounded like a lawnmower (very loud)

After getting the 80hr refurb, things are great
    Nice & quiet and no remote sensor issues