Should I buy a new tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by lapdog12, Jan 4, 2014.

1. Jan 4, 2014 #1 of 17
    lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    I would be interested in getting a roamio pro, i know i could upgrade the hard drive on a plus but i worry about losing my warranty.

I current have time warner in socal and I'm reading that lots of people are having problems with tuning adapters and their cable cards and sometimes recordings are being missed.

I really would like to have more tuners and more hard drive space to work with but I wonder if it's worth it with the problems I'm reading that people are having.

I also like with my current DVR that I can swap tuners, rewind one of the tuners and it stays rewound even when I switch back and forth with the other tuner. I know there are workarounds but a workaround is not the same thing.

I'm leaning towards yes, but I'm wondering if the problems of the tuning adapter and cable cards might cause too many problems.

thanks for any tips and advice.

2. Jan 4, 2014 #2 of 17
    replaytv

replaytv gun talk ignore list

Feb 20, 2011
    Denver ish...
    With my Premiere I can swap back and forth between shows and it will stay were I was if I 'pause' it first. I don't know if newer models will do that.

3. Jan 4, 2014 #3 of 17
    AAinCal

AAinCal New Member

Dec 21, 2013
    I'm also in SoCal on TWC and have a Roamio Plus with CableCard and Tuning Adapter. I can't say that my experience is typical or that yours will be like mine, but speaking only for myself:

After some initial setup issues (Roamio wifi wasn't playing nicely with router and TA needed a couple of reboots to get all six tuners working), things have been working very smoothly. I've had no missed recordings and no tuning issues. Also, you can pause all six tuners and cycle through without losing the position on any of them. I just tried this to be sure. However, if you unpause a tuner and cycle back to it, it will lose its position and go to the end of the buffer.

4. Jan 4, 2014 #4 of 17
    Woodburner

Woodburner New Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Just purchased a Roamio and did a 3 tb easy upgrade and coming from a Series 3 the unit is night and day better. Can't wait to get my Mini to put in the bedroom. Just do it :)

5. Jan 5, 2014 #5 of 17
    AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    Yes they do. OP, this isn't an issue, not sure what u read to make u think it is an issue. It will only work though for 30 mins since that is the buffer.

6. Jan 5, 2014 #6 of 17
    lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    thanks for all the info gang, it helps me with my decision. I really do want to get one of these and maybe a mini for the living room.

One quick question, if i bought the roamio plus and upgraded the hard drive myself would that void the warranty?

I was also thinking about getting the 3 year extended warranty as well.

thanks again!

7. Jan 5, 2014 #7 of 17
    DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Yup, but it's only a 90 day warranty (boo Tivo!) so if you are really paranoid just wait the 90 days then upgrade. The only negative is you loose whatever shows are on the hard drive when you swap them (no way to transfer them over). Personally the warranty is way overrated. If you use it for a couple of weeks and it behaves, chances are you will get years service out of it. Other than one of my parents Tivo's (power supply), the only hardware issues I have had in 11 years of Tivo ownership are hard drives dying - and in the Roamio it's the easiest it's ever been - just drop in a new, unformatted drive. Simplicity itself!

I wouldn't bother, especially since the power supply is external (and just a bog standard wall wart at that). But if you really feel you need one (especially if you put lifetime on it) then get a warranty from Squaretrade - NOT Tivo! (just include the value of the Tivo and Lifetime when you select your plan!).

8. Jan 5, 2014 #8 of 17
    lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    great info, thanks DocNo.

EDIT: Why would I include the price of the tivo AND the price of the lifetime service? Sorry, I'm new to square trade and what it will offer me.

9. Jan 5, 2014 #9 of 17
    Woodburner

Woodburner New Member

Jan 3, 2014

10. JohnnyO

JohnnyO Crimper

Nov 3, 2002
    Twin...

It is true!

Check out this thread. Only downside to this approach is that none of your recorded shows get copied over.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=507695

John

11. chicagobrownblue

chicagobrownblue Well-Known Member

May 29, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    Agreed. And the lifetime warranty is really a one time replacement charge. Once the TiVo is replaced, that's it:

"This Contract provides for only the one-time replacement of the Product with another Product of like grade and quality. This Contract will expire at the time of this replacement or reimbursement for replacement or term expiration and the covered "

Do run your coax through a surge suppressor on a battery back up or buy this:

Cable TV In-Line Coaxial Surge Protector

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002KR7EK...TF8&colid=3MFSWXSTMI6MC&coliid=I2LZF11IGLH17F

12. Woodburner

Woodburner New Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Dang I jumped the gun and bought one off Ebay. Wish I would have known this. Still a great feature when they update for a 4TB :)

13. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Well, presumably you are buying a SquareTrade warranty to be "made whole". Since SquareTrade is not an authorized Tivo repair center they will probably give you cash to re-buy a dead Tivo. And if you don't also get the cash to repurchase the lifetime (since Tivo does not, in general practice and in all but rare occasions) transfer lifetime from one box to another if you don't include the lifetime subscription in the value of your Tivo your not going to get it back from SquareTrade.

Even better, don't take my word for it - email them and indicate you wish to cover at Tivo with a lifetime subscription and given that Tivo doesn't transfer lifetime subscriptions, what would you have to do in order to be covered?

SquareTrade is just insurance - a type of contract. And like any contract, your only going to get what is specified in the contract. It's better to make sure you understand what you are buying ahead of time. I'm always amused at the people who think that by "taking a chance" and not clarifying they may get to save a buck or two by feigning ignorance and trying to get something for free later.

14. lapdog12

lapdog12 Member

Dec 14, 2013
    thanks docno!

15. rudiger

rudiger New Member

Feb 6, 2002
    On the...
    Same here, bought a Roamio, did the 3TB easy upgrade and I came from a Series 3. Just do it x2!

16. unitron

unitron Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2006
    semi-coastal NC
    Is there really any such thing? Has there ever been?

17. DocNo

DocNo Member

Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    Kind of re-enforces my point - SquareTrade will make you whole by re-buying your Tivo and the Lifetime sub - so get the appropriate warranty!