Should I buy a Bolt+ or a Roamio Pro?

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by neo_sapien, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Dec 8, 2016 #1 of 25
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I have the option to buy a Bolt+ for $600 because I tried to take advantage of the Cyber Monday TiVo deal, $500 for a Roamio Pro, but they were out of stock. So they offered me another deal; a Roamio Pro renewed with lifetime for $400, or a Bolt+ with lifetime for $600.

At first I thought I should go for the Bolt+ due to it being newer tech, faster, having 4K support (I might upgrade to 4K one day), etc. But then I started reading horror stories about people having problems with Cablecards that worked fine on earlier Tivo boxes not working on the Bolt+, going through multiple Cablecards and having cable company techs come in several times to try and fix the problem. Sometimes the problem was only solved when the user RMAed their box and received a new one (and they had to fight TiVo to get them to do that). So this caused me to question the Bolt+ decision.

So now I'm not sure whether to buy a Bolt+ for $600 or a renewed Roamio Pro for $400. I assume that the Roamio Pro would have fewer issues due to being out longer.

My cable company is Verizon Fios, I don't use a tuning adapter, and I currently have a Premiere 4 and 3 TiVo Minis connected via Moca.

2. Dec 8, 2016 #2 of 25
    thyname

thyname Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Very recent parallel thread below:

$599 3tb bolt+ With lifetime as an apology!

3. Dec 8, 2016 #3 of 25
    dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    I'd go Bolt+ with all-in for $600 in a heartbeat

4. Dec 8, 2016 #4 of 25
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Ditto!

to OP: please read the thread I linked below. Same question you asked. Very good information on it.

5. Dec 8, 2016 #5 of 25
    neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I read the entire thread prior to making this post, but I still felt uncertain about whether to get a Bolt+ or a Roamio Pro, so I made this post here in the TiVo Bolt section (where I would find more people who are familiar with the ups and downs of the Bolt+) and specifically asked which TiVo I should go for.

6. Dec 8, 2016 #6 of 25
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    Yes. Go with Bolt+

7. Dec 8, 2016 #7 of 25
    krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    With 4K being the main selling point for the BOLT+ (comparison), I'd think the $200 savings would go a long way towards a Roku streaming device that actually provides 4K.

8. Dec 8, 2016 #8 of 25
    measel

measel New Member

Dec 17, 2015
    Roku devices ( got several I'm giving to goodwill ) aren't up to anything near 4k.

9. Dec 8, 2016 #9 of 25
    thyname

Dec 26, 2010
    N. Virginia
    If one bought a decent 4K tv recently, most likely comes with built in apps with 4K capabilities. Best way to watch 4K HDR content IMHO. Then you don't need no Bolt no Roku for 4K HDR streaming

I have a Samsung 65" KS8500 and could not be happier with built in apps and quality

10. dianebrat

dianebrat wait.. I did what? TCF Club

Jul 6, 2002
    boston'ish
    Roku has 3 current devices that do 4K and one previous, Roku can most definitely do 4K if you buy a 4K capable Roku
    :D

11. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    Excellent point; probably best to first evaluate the apps on your UHD 4K TV before springing for an external box for 4K, whether TiVo, Roku or Febo.[/QUOTE]

12. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    So so far I've got 2 votes for Bolt+ and one for Roamio Pro. The folks who believe I should go with the Bolt+, do you think that the cablecard issues are workable, they just might be an initial hassle?

13. hooper

hooper Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I just got a bolt. 5 minutes to pair my cablecard on Comcast.

I went with a bolt so I could do ota or cable. This isn't an option on the pro/+ anyway. It is much faster and I could see myself actually using the apps on board.

Just get a Roamio and buy a better streamer.

14. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    I don't even have a 4K TV, so I don't really need a Roku 4K at the moment.

15. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    In this post (the whole thread is covering your question) I outline the differences between a Raomio Pro and Bolt+:$599 3tb bolt+ With lifetime as an apology!

In my opinion the Bolt+ is "better" but the difference between what you get with a Roamio Pro and a Bolt+ is not that much, so the question really becomes; How much more is the Bolt+ worth over a Roamio Pro, that is a personal question that only you can answer.

Regarding problems, both are subject to the same problems. I don't think there is an increased chance for problems one way or the other.

16. gssieg

gssieg New Member

Dec 2, 2016
    Well I've had my bolt for 2 weeks now spent the first 1.5 of those fighting with Tivo. Had a bad unit and the more I find stuff on the internet the more I believe they have an issue with the hardware but refuse to admit it. I had to threaten to return it via the 30 day before anything was done and even at that I was surprised as they didn't fight me at all on the return I finally told the guy I really don't want to return this I just want to swap it because I was determined it was bad and support refused to further troubleshoot or replace it. He was able to work an RMA out and the second unit worked perfect no issues took me 10 minutes with the cable company to re-pair the cable card with the new unit and it works flawless same cable card in the first unit wouldn't get signal. I've had numerous people stated that it had to be a cable issue but signal was perfect and the new box is working perfect. So just be prepaired to struggle if you get stuck with a bad box. The last couple of days with the new box have been flawless and I really do like the unit. This is my first Tivo so don't have much to compare it to though.

17. neo_sapien

neo_sapien Member

Dec 14, 2009
    Assuming that 4K HDTV over cable (FiOS) is a long way away (i.e. tune to channel 5555 for 4K), it seems then that the Bolt+ is worth about $90 more than the Roamio Pro ($90 being the cost of a Roku 4 with 4K and HDR)?

I've heard a good bit about cablecard problems with the Bolt+, and it seemed like people were saying that these problems were much worse in the Bolt+ than they were in previous boxes like the Roamio Pro.

18. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    I would not conclude that from the few post we have on this forum. Cable card problems are a function on many things such as current software issues, actual wiring problems at the persons home, other signal strength issues, defective Tivos, cable cards that were not properly unpaired from another unit, cable company employees that don't know what there doing, and others. Most problems will be during setup and some people go through cable card hell to get everything working and others have no issues, it really is a role of the dice. In the end no one except TiVo knows what percentage of people have major issues.

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    ???? My Roku Ultra has way more 4K content than my TiVo Bolt does. And it also does HDR. On the ROku Ultra and Premiere+ Netflix has 4k/HDR, Amazon has 4K/HDR, Fandanngo has 4K/HDR, Vudu has 4K, and Youtube has 4K. The Bolt doesn't come anywhere close to touching what the ROku Ultra and ROku Premiere+ have for 4K content.

Since getting my Roku Ultra two months ago, it has become the device I use most for streaming content. It is extremely fast and uses little power. And has access to a wider variety of 4k/HDR content than most devices.

20. celtic pride

celtic pride Member

Nov 8, 2005
    I only wish kodi could be added to roku. I will probably buy a roku ultra,my roku 4 seems to freeze up and get real hot to the touch! but i've had it for over a year and the warranty passed the next one i buy i will buy an extended warranty from best buy.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016